Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flagyl and yeast infection?

Junior Member Array

Default Flagyl and yeast infection?

Hoping someone out there can help me out.
    I was prescribed Flagyl for bacterial vaginosis last week, told not to drink alcohol, take it for the full seven days, etc. Well now it seems I may have a yeast infection, which I have read is pretty common. What happens now? I mean do I finish out the prescription? Only a couple more days left. Do I use over the counter stuff for the yeast infection as well as the Flagyl? I've actually never had a yeast infection so I'm not sure if it's just a side effect of the antibiotic. Anyone have any experience with this?

Junior Member Array

i finished the course and its better to finish it to be honest, then i got a yeast infection right after i finished the course and took canestan tablet with the cream. I applied the cream as directed, and for a little longer than recommended on the pack. it went away but keep an eye out for it, just incase you get an itch or see the discharge, apply the cream straight away and get some advice from GP again.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho02 View Post
    I was prescribed Flagyl for bacterial vaginosis last week, told not to drink alcohol, take it for the full seven days, etc. Well now it seems I may have a yeast infection, which I have read is pretty common. What happens now? I mean do I finish out the prescription? Only a couple more days left. Do I use over the counter stuff for the yeast infection as well as the Flagyl? I've actually never had a yeast infection so I'm not sure if it's just a side effect of the antibiotic. Anyone have any experience with this?

It's common to get a reaction from antibiotics, penicilian sometimes it states it on the box.

Try natural yoghurt, it feels messy and horrid, but does the same thing as thrush tablets or creams, takes a bit longer so once your off the tablets, there is a tablet you can get that rids it in 24 hrs.

Don't stress, us women put up with all sorts, unfortunately.

Junior Member Array

Default Stop irritating that area.

Yes, i have taken flagyl 2 times, and every time, exactly 24 hours after i get a dreaded yeast infection!!! Antibiotics cause yeast infections, its because they kill the bacteria, good and bad bacteria, which is why we take them when we have an infection. But The body needs the good bacteria, it keeps everything in check, especially the vaginal flora. And when the antibiotics are stopped, the body attempts to reset the levels down there, sometimes, its not always right. And then you get a yeast infection. I am a nurse in a GYN office, its such a bad infection, but its not going to kill you. Diflucan 150mg (flucanazole) is used for this, its a one pill regimen, sometimes 2, and there are no messy creams to use. Its great and on your local non insurance $4 prescription program * Wal Mart or Target. Flagyl is a great drug, but its very strong, and the side effects are usually nausea and diarrhea. If you have a case of Bacterial Vaginosis, dont be alarmed, its just the normal bacteria levels out of wack down there. Very common, But ladies NEVER use soap down there, just cold water and always keep dry. Stay away from scendted panty liners, and tampons, or scented wipes and creams. The scents aggravate the area and cause BV and Yeast infections. Oral sex is safe to do, But alwyas have your mate brush his teeth before hand, your mouth is full of bacteria and you can put 2 and 2 together. A healthy vagina doesnt smell bad. Also dont shave, it causes bumps which in turn cause infections , if you must be hairless then wax. At a salon. Or trim with sterilized scissors. Always wipe from front to back. And of course bubble baths and salts baths are also an irritant for the vagina. And last but not least, use a hypoallergenic detergent for washing your clothes, underwear and all. This is a big NO NO with my patients. Beleive me I have seen it all. And when my patients stop irritating that area, the problems go away! Save yourself a late night call to your doctor and multiple visits and prescriptions and creams.

As a word of advice, whenever taking antibiotics, always take a Probiotic with it. Such as Acidophilus, and Lactobacillius, along with yogurt. But remember to eat the PLAIN yogurt, no flavor is needed, because the yeast love sugar, and you might aggravate the balance more. You can get the acidolphilus probiotic capsules from the vitamin section at your local health food store or grocery store. It might prevent it all from happening. Don't worry about taking 2-3 capsules a day, you cant overdose on this and it could save you a grueling yeast infection.

And just because you haven't had irritation yet, and have always used soap, taken baths and etc etc for years and don't think you should stop, you still need to switch to non scented products. Your tolerance can change overnight. You can still use creams anywhere but the vaginal area.

Junior Member Array

And don't ever put yogurt down there, EVER. Any physician or registered will tell you, or douches. Very big NO NO. You can end up with a huge infection and possible Pelvic Inflammatory disease.

Private.Flangeamin

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho02 View Post
    I have taken 8 weeks of Flagyl before , along with others with only a week or so in between courses ...ARRRHHH how am i alive ...i dont know ...seriously , yes, finish the course , you must do that but also take something intravaginally for the thrush ..cream and pressary. NO alcohol - if even have a glass of wine ...a terrible reaction . Flagyl and alchohol you get the reaction of antabuse !!! the drug to stop people drinking ...horrific ...avoid at all costs ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marbinx View Post
    And don't ever put yogurt down there, EVER. Any physician or registered will tell you, or douches. Very big NO NO. You can end up with a huge infection and possible Pelvic Inflammatory disease.
    Look it up, i doubt that that, hold stats, nothing at all with non perscriptive medicine... I have used yoghurt lots in my youth, not so much now, nothing wrong with me, and every second Doctor acknowledges that that, is an alternative, natural yoghurt?

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Private.Flangeamin

Quote Originally Posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
    Look it up, i doubt that that, hold stats, nothing at all with non perscriptive medicine... I have used yoghurt lots in my youth, not so much now, nothing wrong with me, and every second Doctor acknowledges that that, is an alternative, natural yoghurt?

CW
    Do agree with you CW - nothing wrong with yog - if its mild case - if its really taken hold it can make not a jot...its more of a great soother which im all for ...live yog ...some claim to be live but not very good - worth paying extra at health food store ...a little on a tampon for an hour or so ...relieve ..arrrhhhhh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Private.Flangeamin View Post
    Do agree with you CW - nothing wrong with yog - if its mild case - if its really taken hold it can make not a jot...its more of a great soother which im all for ...live yog ...some claim to be live but not very good - worth paying extra at health food store ...a little on a tampon for an hour or so ...relieve ..arrrhhhhh
    Certainly, not assuming it is great when in "deep water", no way, take that tablet and rid of it in one day ******** it.

But i was flabagasted that someone had said, NO NO NO it will give you this and that.

When i was 11, well bless me, i developed from then, i gained Thrush at 11? I think, after period at 13 eased, ahh so young. ( Stop reading guys), anyway, the recommendation ( so sharing ) back then when it was horrific, thank god stopped, was hot baths with salt water, and um, vinigar. Worked wonders....

Nothing wrong with natural remodies, proof is i am sorry in the pudding as much as stats, .... ???

It's worth telling regardless, if it helps someone.....

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

VIP Member Array

Introducing food products into your vagina is just not 'good practice'. Besides, it's the wrong type of bacteria. The bacteria located in the vagina have the ability to attach to the vaginal walls were as the stuff in yogurt doesn't.

A homeopath like treatment for yeast or to prevent yeast when you have to take the dreaded flagyl (I won't touch the stuff, makes me sicker than a dog) is boric acid suppositories. Your doc can give you a script for them at a compounding pharmacy or I've heard of women using top grade boric acid powder in capsules. Don't use the lower grade, it's not as pure and won't work as well. If you use the boric acid as soon as you start the flagyl and for a few days afterwards, this should help return things to normal. The boric acid helps keep the vaginal ph acidic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast