Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folliculitis horror story :(

Junior Member Array

Unhappy Folliculitis horror story :(

Hey people, i'm new to posting threads- usually just read them but thought i'd see if i could get some advice specific to my problem if anyone else is in a similar situation.

I have had folliculitis on my legs for the past 2-3 years- its made my life a misery! I have very thick dark hair on my legs (i'm of indian ethnicity) and used to wax it off- and within a couple of days my legs would be covered in a million red dots and break outs of puss filled spots. These would pass in a few days but the scars would remain. I finally started laser hair removal about 5 months ago and the hair growth has definately lessened and the folliculitis break outs have also decreased but not totally stopped. My legs are however covered in dark scars from where the folliculitis break outs were. I can never wear dresses or skirts without tights and i'd love to not feel so self concious infront of my boyfriend any suggestions on how to remove these scars? I have tried bio oil and other scar fading oils with no difference to be seen.

Also now that i've sort of fixed my legs- something even worse has happened. I have a lot of hair all over my body (thanks dad!!). One of these areas is my bum. I wax this very rarely and didnt seem to have any problems- turned out silky smooth however the last time i did so- about a week ago- ive started to notice some mild folliculitis- red dots! I reallllyy dont want the same mess i made of my legs to happen to my bum- which is the only part of my body im pretty proud of but i cant afford any more laser and i cannot just let my bum look like a mans with all the hair. Is there any recommended hair removal method on this part of the body?

I hope to hear from any1 who can help. xoxo
    Last edited by Missee; 08-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

Have you tried anything like Nair? I use the Shower Nair on my upper lip and for the strays on my chin. Leave it on about 10 minutes and just wash it off in the shower. Doesn't smell good, but works fairly well. It might lessen it enough to help your feelings of insecurity over it. I'm not sure how Nair would react with your folliculitis.

I can see where waxing would be rough. Does shaving your legs give you the same problem as waxing?

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Junior Member Array

Thank you for your post! I have tried hair removal creams such as nair in the past but since my hair is very thick and corse it does not seem to work for me as it doesnt remove the hair! Shaving is no good either as although it removes the hair for a day or so it makes my hair grow back even thicker and more stubbly- which causes more ingrowth and thus more inflamed follicles i seem to be in a dead end situation with hair removal as all methods i have tried irritate my skin and worsen my problem- however as any woman in this sort of position knows it feels very unfeminine and embarassing living with hair all over your body!

If anyone has had a battle with folliculitis and come out the other side please help...? X

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

What about an electric razor? That way, you can remove most of the growth, without actually cutting all they way down to the skin. As far as the scars, have you tried just vitamin E oil mixed into Jojoba oil? Both are very good for the skin, and vitamin E helps with scarring. I also have an oil infusion I'm currently making with a bunch of healing herbs in it, unfortunately it wont' be ready for about 3 more weeks. If you'd like, once it's made, I'd be happy to send some out to you.

Junior Member Array

I havnt actially tried an electric razor but i will try! I just assumed it would have the same results as shaving with an ordinary razor. I have tried an oil which had jojoba mixed with it but havnt really seen any results. I would be very grateful if you could send me some- that is so very kind of you! Thanks a bunch

Please keep posting any other suggestions..

Also i have just read on another thread that sun beds help folliculitis scars- i was wondering if anyone has tried this and seen any results?

The electric razor I use is a purple one I found at Wal-Mart in the same section as the mens electric razors. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but it's worth a shot since they aren't that expensive. Try just getting some straight vitamin E oil (found at any pharmacy) and using it directly, especially after shaving. Witch hazel (found at most pharmacies) is a very mild antiseptic that is good to use after shaving, as well. It will help cleanse the area gently, and preventing the ingrown hairs.

Oh, as far as sun beds, I'm not sure I buy it. It may reduce the visibility because it darkens the rest of the skin, but the long term effects aren't worth the temporary ones as far as I'm concerned.

Junior Member Array

Yes thats what i was thinking as well- i have tried using tanning creams in the past to reduce the visibility of my scars but it simply made my scars darker too lol! I will certainly try to get some vitamin E oil. And i have often used witch hazel, tea tree and aloe vera gel to reduce inflamation when it first occurs! Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Junior Member Array

You can trim the hair on your bum and other body parts using an electric shaver. Don't trim it shorter than 1mm though.

Folliculitis is RUINING my life as well. It started when I waxed in May. I haven't waxed since but I'm still GETTING boils on my legs.

I was thinking of laser hair removal but I fear it might make it worse. Can you tell me whom you're seeing for laser hair removal? I'm also located in Mumbai.

Can you tell me other detail of your treatments? What laser? Settings? Doctor? And how much reduction you have achieved? It'd be really helpful. Alternatively, we can chat on yahoo messenger sometime. My id is mairah_q at yahoo.com.

Don't use vitamin E to treat hyperpigmentation. You can use hydroquinone 2%(Melalite) to lighten to scars for a month or two and then switch to ascorbic acid or kojic acid for 6-18 months. YES, it WILL take that long! Don't use hydroquinone for long.

You can also tretinoin (0.025-0.05%) after you're done with all your laser treatments. It is not safe to use tretinoin with laser.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mairah

Junior Member Array

I would see a dermatologist - to look at why you are getting Folliculitis and if there is anything else that will help. I would also suggest seeing an endocrine specalist. Could be the hormones making the hair worse.
    Last edited by aiffaiff69; 06-14-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast