Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get that awful smell out of the fridge!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array lime_lemur's Avatar

Default How do I get that awful smell out of the fridge!

So my roomate has this terrible tendancy to buy food then forget about it, and it all goes bad and rots. She had some kind of fishy stuff that went bad and leaked all over, and it made the fridge smell awful. I wiped it all out and scrubbed the shelves down (just with water, I didn't want to go using any chemicals in the fridge), but that smell is still there. Does anybody know if there's a way to get the smell out without having to shut it off and air it out?

On that note, I also have to figure out how to get rid of a TERRIBLE rotten onion smell from one of my cabinets... ugh, if only I knew she had this stuff before it all goes bad!
    Last edited by lime_lemur; 11-28-2009 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling errors

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I manage properties and have dealt with this many times. Use a solution of water and bleach, maybe 5 to 8 parts water to 1 part bleach. Wipe the entire insides of the fridge. Make sure you get the gooves in the seal, all around the door and all the shelves and bins. Then wipe down with baking soda water and place an open box or dish of baking soda in the fridge. This should take care of it.

In the freezer, if you remove every thing there maybe a removable panel on the bottom. There are two screws toward the front and two at the back. Remove those and you can lift this base out. It has little slats and stuff spills in there all the time. give that a good cleaning and your freezer will be much fresher.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Junior Member Array

Open a box of baking soda and leave it in the fridge? It will absorb some of the smell until you have time to clean it with water and bleach.

Junior Member Array

Thumbs up

Try placing a box of baking soda in the fridge and leave it there. That's supposed to absorb any odor there is.

Quote Originally Posted by WildChild View Post
    Use a solution of water and bleach, maybe 5 to 8 parts water to 1 part bleach. Wipe the entire insides of the fridge. Make sure you get the gooves in the seal, all around the door and all the shelves and bins. Then wipe down with baking soda water and place an open box or dish of baking soda in the fridge. This should take care of it.

In the freezer, if you remove every thing there maybe a removable panel on the bottom. There are two screws toward the front and two at the back. Remove those and you can lift this base out. It has little slats and stuff spills in there all the time. give that a good cleaning and your freezer will be much fresher.
    The bleach and baking soda wash work wonders. If the fishy juice has gotten into the insulation, you may have to do the wash and then just leave it open to air out for an extended period of time. (I know that if this is your only 'fridge this is hard to do.) My mother had some oranges rot in her "spare" fridge in the basement. Even after the bleach wash it took several months of airing out to eliminate the smell. Time for a heart-to-heart with your room mate!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array lilylavendar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i agree, both wildchild and maverick have really good ideas, i've done them myself cleaning in houses.
    the cabinet smell, i would try some mr.clean with febreze it's a newer product, dilute a small capful in a med. bucket of water, after wiping it out, air out the cupboard, and place a dish of baking soda in there for a few days.
    have a talk with your roommate. it just seems sad food is going to waste. maybe roommate is buying too much at one time.
    hope you enjoy a cleaner smelling place.
    maybe leave a reminder note on the fridge for a "one day of the week" clean out...

oh, they make hanging baskets (wire) for veggies, that might be a better alternative, that way you can "see" what is still good. i do that for my grandpa because i clean his home once a week, along with the refridgerator, and the hanging basket has helped with less onions, tomatoes wasted.
    In the words of Clint Eastwood..."Go ahead, make my day..."

Hi! Try putting a charcoal inside your fridge. It's really a good odor absorber.
    My mom taught me this so ya, Credits to you mum! =D
    I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

Buy yourself a fridge, she has hers, you have yours.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array p3375's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anon_1990 View Post
    Buy yourself a fridge, she has hers, you have yours.
    Great idea!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array BasketCase's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arm and hammer Baking Soda makes a new thing that you stick to the side of ur fridge and it will absorb the odors. Works Pretty good.
    ☮“I am convinced that the women of the world, united without any regard for national or racial dimensions, can become a most powerful force for international peace and brotherhood.”☮

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast