Forum:

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jns

Thread: Husband's hygiene

Junior Member Array

Unhappy Husband's hygiene

Hello! I'm new here and this will be my first post.

I got married to my very wonderful husband last August after being in a long distance relationship for almost 3 years. In those 3 years we were "living together", though only for 3 months a year since I was working in another country. During that time, and the first months of our marriage, my husband would shower every day after work, or before going to bed at night. I guess he was a typical guy in the hygiene department, not overly concerned with it, but clean nonetheless.
    Now he goes 3 or 4 days without showering, and he blames it on being too tired after work. Even then, he's not a smelly guy, but it really bothers me. Especially because it is definitely affecting our sex life. We used to have sex daily, but now that he barely showers I feel pretty grossed out at the thought of it. Sometimes I will feel aroused and feel like having sex with him but then I remember he hasn't showered in a few days and I just make up an excuse, or don't take the initiative at all. Very rarely I might mention it to him, and he will reluctantly go and take a shower, only so we can have sex after, and he looks so hurt that I even suggested it! But he only showers when I drop a hint, and I'm pretty sure if I didn't say anything he would only shower once a week or so!

This is very hard on me, I am a very clean person, I shower daily and even twice a day if I feel I need to, and I take pride in grooming myself. Another thing he will not do. He won't "clean up" down there, not even trim the hair, and he basically clips his toe nails once a month. They get huge and it bothers me so very much. I find that long toe nails are extremely unattractive and disgusting, especially when you can see they're not clean. He walks around the house barefoot and I cringe every time I look at his feet. And if we're having sex I can never look at his feet otherwise I will not be able to continue- that's how bad they are...
    Also, his lack of hygiene prevents me from performing oral sex on him, I cannot stand the smell, even if he thinks it's "not that bad". He will joke about it sometimes, and make light of the situation, but the truth is this is affecting my relationship with him, our sex life, and I find it hard to feel attracted to him anymore, even though he is an extremely attractive man!

We've only been married for a few months and already our sex life and pretty much non existent because of this. Even if he showers so we can have sex, it is not the same thing, because it bothers me so much I might be thinking about this instead of focusing on the sex...

One last thing that bothers me is the fact he only brushes his teeth in the morning. he used to do it at night as well, and after dinner, but not anymore. so after eating or drinking certain foods he will have bath breath...he will try to kiss me and I will tell him he has bad breath, and instead of brushing he will just keep his distance so I can't smell it! This isn't normal! I mean, everyone get's bad breath every now and then, I know I do. But if i had not noticed and my husband called me out on it I would immediately go brush my teeth...

sorry for the long post, I hardly know how to do in this situation, it's so embarrassing ...

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

Sounds like he's let himself go since he's already got you... that happens too often unfortunately. I think in this situation since it is so extreme you need to just be blunt about it. Marriage is about honesty and being able to share your thoughts and feelings with that one person. You just need to be honest with him. Tell him "You used to shower every day and brush your teeth twice a day when we were first together and now it's only when I tell you to. I don't want to have sex when you're dirty and it grosses me out. Just because we're married doesn't mean that you can neglect your hygiene." When it comes to his toenails, just say "Ow you scratched me with your toenails. Please cut them" when you're snuggling in bed together. Or just keep at it "Honey you need to cut your toenails" and I think eventually he'd be more aware of it. Perhaps he doesn't know the degree of which it grosses you out. Dropping hints isn't helping and it's only causing you to get irritated. You need to be open and honest with him about it. You can also use positive reinforcement. When he gets out of the shower (without you telling him to) give him a good blow job and say something like "I love it when you're nice and clean".. maybe he'll get it in his head "I am one sexy beast when I'm clean" or say something like "You always smell so nice right out of the shower".

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

To me, it sounds like he is depressed. Has he been to a doctor?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

Junior Member Array

Thank you for your replies
    I had an honest conversation with him last night and we'll see what comes out of it.
    He told me that he's gonna start showering as soon as he gets home after work. it seems to me like he procrastinates after he gets home from work because he just wants to relax, and then later in the day he's just too sleepy and tired and doesn't feel like showering anymore.
    I want to be understanding, but I also work long days and by the end of it all I want more than anything is a long warm shower, but I guess everyone's different. We'll see how he does today!
    I don't think he's depressed at all by the way, I see no others signs of this. I think he's just lazy

jns

Let us know if he keeps up showering every day.
    Luke likes this.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

Good luck lalala, let us know what happens!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Pollon's Avatar

To some extent, a shower is work rather than relaxing. What about running him a bath to relax in (with a glass of wine and a little television)?

Junior Member Array

So far he has been keeping it up! Laziness definitely got the best of him I believe.
    I can understand it to an extent, he spends 9h a day on his feet, so I can see how showering might not be as relaxing to him as it is to me.
    It's only been a week but I haven't felt the need to remind him of it anymore, he showers more than willingly and our sex life is back to normal. I think he definitely sees it as a good thing now

jns

Best wishes for the future.

Patrick Henry

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

Well that is kinda gross for a man not to take shower daily. Have you told him that he needs to shower everyday with or without sex. You have to be frank with him as early as now.