Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a Meaningful Wedding Ceremony

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ideas for a Meaningful Wedding Ceremony

Ok, over from another thread. A wedding is a way of making public a couple's declaration of their vows and intension to share life together. It generally encompasses an exchange of vows and tokens of marriage (usually rings) and a party. The whole thing (At least in the US) has generally gotten way out of hand in terms of cost and stress.

Lets share stories and ideas for different types of ceremonies and celebrations that are meaningful and not insanely expensive.

Personally I will never marry again but I may well do a year and a day or handfast. My owm family has a tradition of outdoor weddings and I live in a state where that is common.

I attended one held at a scenic overlook in the mountains. The bride was lovely in a simple flowing dress, with flowers in her hair and bare feet. The couple exchanged vows they had written themselves and rode down to the Elks Lodge where the reception was held, in a horse drawn surrey, borrowed from a neighbor.

Another wedding held on a mountain side, had both sides of the families taking up an entire camping area, there was a hotel close by where some of the grandparents and greats stayed. The day before the wedding most of the people there (over 100) went rafting, quite a few fishing and some hiking. There was a large camp pot luck the night before.

The wedding took place beside a mountain lake, the bride was lovely in a traditional gown and the groom in a tux. There were some folding chairs for those who had trouble standing. There was accoustical music provided by some guests and the bride's cousin sang beautifully.

The reception was partially in a huge tent rented for the occasion. There were horseshoe pits (the bride managed to make several ringers while in her gown), a pinata, dancing, everyone pitched in and everyone had a great time.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Kallygirlie's Avatar

I agree now days weddings have gotten out of hand. My best friend had a very simple cheap wedding but it was very nice. Cutest part was when I took her bouquet for the vows the best man sat a chair down for the groom so the bride and groom where eye leel (she's in a wheel chair). Even the top of the cake had a groom carrying the bride (so she was not offended by the bride standing).

Now I've been to the high end wedding to. My ex boyfriends parents took $50,000 on there house to pay for their daughters wedding. We all flew out to Colorado, stayed in the most expensive hotel for 4 days. She married on the military base she was stationed. the rehersal dinner was in an expensive location and the reception were plated 4 course meals.

I personally want the outdoor spring wedding. something small and peaceful. The wedding is just the party, the marriage is what its all about.
    Krystal

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildChild View Post

I attended one held at a scenic overlook in the mountains. The bride was lovely in a simple flowing dress, with flowers in her hair and bare feet. The couple exchanged vows they had written themselves and rode down to the Elks Lodge where the reception was held, in a horse drawn surrey, borrowed from a neighbor.
    That sounds amazing. I've always wanted a wedding just like this. The idea of a big party at the Ritz or something has just never appealed to me. Imagine how stressful it must be to plan something like that?

If I get married, it's going to be very relaxed, much like what you said about your friend's wedding. Something outside, and I love the idea of bare feet or pretty sandals. Classy but not gaudy. And the Lodge idea is something I've always loved too (I go to Loon Mountain in New Hampshire every year). You read my mind with this one

I've got to be direct
    If I'm off please correct
    You're standing on my neck....

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterAndStuds View Post
    If I get married, it's going to be very relaxed, much like what you said about your friend's wedding. Something outside, and I love the idea of bare feet or pretty sandals. Classy but not gaudy. And the Lodge idea is something I've always loved too (I go to Loon Mountain in New Hampshire every year). You read my mind with this one
    Oh - you know that outdoor lookout up on the mountain up at Loon? It's an outdoor church service area or something, but you have to take the lift up there... I've always thought that would be PERFECT!!!

The best wedding I've been to in a long time was this summer. It was on the beach, sunset, very small, intimate, inexpensive. No one wore shoes, the flower girl was in this adorable fairy little dress decorated with seashells. It was just really nice and relaxing.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LanaBear View Post
    Oh - you know that outdoor lookout up on the mountain up at Loon? It's an outdoor church service area or something, but you have to take the lift up there... I've always thought that would be PERFECT!!!
    YES, that's exactly what I was picturing! Haha wow craziness. I haven't been up there in years but I'll have to go see, now that it's come up. The boyfriend and I are going up there next weekend to go hiking (god help me) so maybe if we have some free time we'll go.

I've got to be direct
    If I'm off please correct
    You're standing on my neck....

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterAndStuds View Post
    YES, that's exactly what I was picturing! Haha wow craziness. I haven't been up there in years but I'll have to go see, now that it's come up. The boyfriend and I are going up there next weekend to go hiking (god help me) so maybe if we have some free time we'll go.
    OMG - the leaves are going to be AMAZING!!! Take pictures. I miss this time of year there.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Banned from WH Array

Just a quick tip. When you are shopping around, don't tell the vendor that you are shopping for a wedding. Tell em its a family reunion or something of the sort.

The second you say "wedding" the prices shoot up 30%.

No joke.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Kallygirlie's Avatar

Yeah I'm think OTYA is right about the price shooting up. makes since really. People know women (well some) will pay anything for there wedding.

My dream wedding I've always seen as more of a outdoor spring wedding. Out in the country. the mountains sound really amazing aswell. but I'd like just a small little ceremony, lots of green grass, lots of flowers, and trees in the back ground. At the ceremony I want to do the normal pre written vows mainly because I have really bad social anxiety and I know I'll never get through my own (i didnt make it through my maid of honor speech for my best friend). Later I want him and I to go somewhere special to us and recite our vows to each other privately. I to like the barefoot idea at least for me. I never where shoes at home, i hate them. Its simple and works better with an ourdoor wedding. the biggest thing in my dream is I would simply LOVE to have a horse drawn carrage. Its pretty cheap where I live because of the amount of farms we have
    Krystal

Blog Entries

I know handfasting, but what's a year and a day? I tried googling to no avail ...
    I want a small wedding. I'd rather spend the money on a nice, well-designed ring set that's going to be on my finger for the rest of my life (hopefully!) rather than a dresses nobody will wear again. I don't see myself spending more than a few thousand for the whole deal.
    Basically, there's nowhere that bf and I could go to make both families happy ... he's from Wisconsin, my close family lives 3 hours away from us, my extended family in New York ... just forget about it. So a private ceremony (maybe a vacation!) will most likely be our recourse.
    I like fall weddings. I love the effect of the leaves and everything. I can be a princess in my own way without a 10 grand dress and flower arrangements.
    Nature gives us shapeless shapes,
    Clouds and waves and flame,
    But human expectation is that love remains the same,
    And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.

Register|Contact Admin|Email Admin

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Year and a day is a committment to be together for one year and one day. There old traditions that believe that you must have that time to truly know each other and the situation. Interestingly my last maritial disaster, we married one day prior to a year since we had met, we'd been casually aquainted in school but that was when we had met and been attracted as adults. The day after we were married (one year) he was fired from his job and told me it was my fault because he was distracted by getting married. If I had followed the year and a day....
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast