Forum:

Thread: Why are guys so Immature?? Or Am I too Mature?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array sarahlee20's Avatar

Red face Why are guys so Immature?? Or Am I too Mature?

At what ages do guys/men mature? I've heard at 25 then I've heard NEVER Which is it? Never or when they feel like it? I am 22 years old but. I feel maturity wise like 32. Like I think of all the chores,cleaning,cooking,outside inside housework. I feel more adult than my age. As some may say wise before my years. Just wondering how long does it take to get young guys/ men 18,20,24,26,28. To grow up and use their heads on their necks instead of their heads down below? any girls out there in relationships that have immature bfs/fiances? are they all immature or just some? How long does it take girls to mature? Just curious.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array sarahlee20's Avatar

Default Why do girls mature faster than guys?

I think that girls mature faster than guyys because girls normally start puberty earlier than guys. Girls start puberty as early as 9 and stop at 16 or 17, while boys start puberty at least at 11 and stop at 18 or 19. However, some boys go through puberties that prolong to age 21. These differences also explain why most girls around 18 tend to act a little more serious then most boys at that age.
    that is true but i've seen some guys who are way more mature (including me) than girls but you are right but sometimes its not always 100% correct

Don't get mixed up between physical and mental maturity. While girls certainly mature faster physically, that doesn't mean mentally as well. Mental maturity is comprised of adult, elitist labels which can't be credited. By that I mean to say that there isn't a way to measure the mental maturity of a person as any such diagnosis would be purely opinionated.

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

I think maturity sometimes happens out of necessity more than gender. Some people have to grow up fast, usually it isn't something pleasant that is the catalyst to that. Whether its the death of a parent or close loved one, or family problems, or some other act/s that force a person to become a realist more quickly than they otherwise would have.

I think because girls mature physically faster than boys... they are treated like they are grown far earlier than boys and some act based on the way they are treated. In older times, and obviously thats changing but still in some households.. the girls are taught to help with the younger children, to go bring dad a soda, to be nurturers and caretakers, to cook and to clean -- all very grown up things.

In teenage years especially on early blossumers, they are treated by some poor excuses for men like they are grown women and that also lends itself to maturing faster.. though in not the most healthiest of ways.

Some boys in poorer families, areas, are forced or coerced into work and supporting the household at an early age.. which brings about maturity.

Anytime anyone, reguardless of gender is put in a position of responsabilty early on, it tends to lead to maturity out of sheer necessity to survive.

I know some grown women in their 20's and 30s that act like children and have known plenty of young men wise beyond their years.

Its all life experience that lends itself to maturity I think.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array

Everyone is different. Some men are very mature at 20 and some still acts like little kids at 50. But the same goes for women. I know of 16 year olds that act like adults and 40 year olds that need to grow up.

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array Goodgirl93's Avatar

Tex is right,it works both ways with men AND women.Some mature in there teens,other take longer.IMO,if a person doesn't mature by the time they turn 30,chances are,its not gunna happen. Lol It really just depends on the person but from the men I have known, most of them matured in there late teens to early 20's.

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array newhere808's Avatar

Yea you should judge the person, not the gender. I've gotten along well with people more than twice my age since I was 12. I know women who are my age, 25, that act as if they are classless teenagers, and I know teenagers that act like they've been "adults" for years.

Theres always exceptions, and I would say that a persons maturity level is often set by others expectations. Naturally if your looking for an "old soul" kind of guy, you may be easily dissapointed in your age group

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

I guy's maturity level doesn't have much to do with his age. It's more based off of his personality, and his history. My boyfriend was a responsible, mature guy from the getgo and we started dating when he was 20- his maturity and concern for others is part of what attracted me to him! At the time I had dated guys younger than him and older than him, and for the most part, they were all pretty silly and immature. I was soooooo sick of dating the immature guys out there who acted like 5 yo's, whining when they didn't get what they wanted, doing exactly what they pleased without any regard for other's feelings.. blah blah blah.

Maturity has a lot less to do with age than with the individual, and immaturity can plague anyone of any age of any gender, not just young men. And there are plenty of young men in this world that are quite mature, not to say that they aren't fun-loving, but they have a good head on their shoulders!
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array kygirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think men mature at different ages based on the individual and also their life experiences. I find that most guys start to really mature in their late 20s/early 30s; however, I think men always seem to have a more light-hearted attitude about life in general than most females (again, from my experience.)

Although, not **all** women act "older than their age"... I have known some women (older than me) that for some reason have no desire to grow up and/or act mature.
    If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.
    -Andy Rooney

It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.--Noel Coward

Live your life and forget your age. --Norman Vincent Peale

March 2008 "Poster of the Month" Array

People keep maturing. I think of what an immature idiot I was 10 years ago - and have been thinking this for the last 30 years.

Banned from WH Array

Hey, we are not soo immature, you, the girls, sometimes are too immature and we too, depends of the day and the time that we are through.
    Last edited by LanaBear; 02-25-2010 at 12:29 PM.