Forum:

Thread: What is Adult Behavior?

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default What is Adult Behavior?

We have people of all ages, backgrounds, place and, beliefs here.
    Often times we get young people and some not so young, who are challenged with the concept of what "adult" behavior entails.

What do you think adult behavior is? How do you define "adult"?
    What are the responsibilities and privileges of adulthood?
    Do you differentiate between "adult" and "mature"?

With your post, please state your age or at least age range and if you are living with parents or dependent on them, please state that.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildChild View Post
    We have people of all ages, backgrounds, place and, beliefs here.
    Often times we get young people and some not so young, who are challenged with the concept of what "adult" behavior entails.

What do you think adult behavior is? How do you define "adult"?
    What are the responsibilities and privileges of adulthood?
    Do you differentiate between "adult" and "mature"?

With your post, please state your age or at least age range and if you are living with parents or dependent on them, please state that.
    52yo, running own finances since 23 (after college)(adult), working at least part time since 16, voting since 18.

Adult behavior includes adult thinking patterns, with enough experience to be sure that those thought patterns are not considered childish by or are repugnant to at least a sizable group of people who have reached the age that societies believe people to be responsible for their own decisions. It also includes adult actions that again, are not considered childish by or are repugnant to at least a sizable group of people who have reached the age that societies believe people to be responsible for their own decisions. It includes by definition, being responsible for a persons own decisions including legal decisions and I would argue, to be responsible for one's financial decisions. I believe that if someone is 25 years old and has someone paying their way through life is not fully adult, even if they could do so if they wanted to. Yes, full time students are not fully adult at that age if they are dependent on someone else. By this definition, someone who is running a household including bringing in the money, at 14 and makes adult type of decisions, is in fact, an adult. They may not be fully mature, but they are an adult. Since I live in a community property state and I believe marriage and civil unions to be partnerships, if a partner is bringing in the money, it is the same as the person bringing in the money.

Maturity has more to due with life experience. Someone who is 40 without much life experience is still somewhat immature, However, by studying, absorbing and understanding, they could still be mature.

Adult responsibilities: take care of self, take care of loved ones, promote good societal values, defend self, loved ones and society (note order). Privileges: right to have thoughts considered by other adults of society, fully able to take advantage of all rights granted in a society.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

Junior Member Array lilmissdirty's Avatar

36, married & run own biz (hubby works with/for me now )

Acting Adult basically boils down to accepting responsibility for your own actions.
    I know 40+ year olds that a wont take responsibility for anything, everything is always somebody else’s fault/responsibility
    and 20 year olds that that are the complete opposite. age really doesn’t determine adult behaviour or maturity although like jns said, Maturity does to some existent come with age.. just not for everybody

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) FEBRUARY 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array stressed's Avatar

"How do you define "adult"?: Adult to me is the person of legal age, depending on the country s/he's coming from. The default definition of the word. Even if I see 15 year olds with families, a job, responsibilities, these teenagers are not adults in my eyes. They are people who have been forced to act like adults way before their age, who have been unable to enjoy their age, and are still considered irresponsible by law (again, age varies depending on the country, but let's say 18-21 is the common age of an 'adult' in the west). Also, underage people have not fully developed physically, emotionally and mentally. They still learn about rules, ethics, society and so on.

"What do you think adult behavior is?": The kind of behavior accepted and expected by the society the person lives in. Go to work, be polite, help your neighbor, be responsible for your choices and way of life, gain responsibilities in order to help the community work like a clock (start a family, pay your taxes, don't steal, don't cheat and so on). One can also call an adult a creature fully capable of adjusting to its environment, at least in public.

"Do you differentiate between "adult" and "mature"?": Definitely. A 40 year old adult does not necessarily have the maturity of a 40 year old. A 15 year old is not immature by definition either. I think it has to do with each person's level of conscience, perception and willingness for improvement. For example, it is socially accepted of a 15 year old to go out clubbing often, party, not study which is also considered a part of the "immaturity of the age". A 15 year old who will spend more time studying than partying is generally considered "more mature than others of his/her age". Likewise, a 40 year old who doesn't have a job, parties a lot, has no responsibilities is considered immature compared to a 40 year old family man who has a job.

Other immature examples of behavior: Lying to cover up a mistake, not admitting a mistake, avoiding confrontations, selfishness, stubbornness, fear of commitment on any level, giving up instead of trying to work it out, unfounded accusations and so on.

- WINNER OF THE BEST THREAD April 2011 Array Maximus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For me:

Adulthood is about independence from a third party, and refers to raw ability.
    For example:
    ** civil: expressed through the voting right
    ** financial: no longer depending on your parents
    ** spiritual: reaching a stage where your knowledge is based on your experience and no longer from a third party experience

Maturity is about predictability, having a defined, documented and repeatable process in place.
    Results from a decision rather than "accident"
    For example:
    ** sexual: Decision to engage into sexual intercourse with the outcome being parenthood
    ** spiritual: Decision to seek and obtain a particular spiritual experience
    Behold the presence of the Father in all beings...