Forum:

Thread: money stolen at workplace

Junior Member Array

Default money stolen at workplace

Ok, so I work in a daycare in the 4 yr old room with another teacher. So today my co- teacher claims her money got stolen...about 40 bucks. The director actually called the police cuase my co teacher was soo upset, They came took a statment and that seemed to be about it. At one point the director was saying they were going to search/finger print people. Ok, I know it sucks to get things stolen but does seem the bit extreme?? Also, is it even legal? Director was saying how she will fire the person who stole, but I dont see how they can prove anyone stole anything.....your thoughts?

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blondiej530 View Post
    Ok, so I work in a daycare in the 4 yr old room with another teacher. So today my co- teacher claims her money got stolen...about 40 bucks. The director actually called the police cuase my co teacher was soo upset, They came took a statment and that seemed to be about it. At one point the director was saying they were going to search/finger print people. Ok, I know it sucks to get things stolen but does seem the bit extreme?? Also, is it even legal? Director was saying how she will fire the person who stole, but I dont see how they can prove anyone stole anything.....your thoughts?
    I own a business and have managed a few. Police are called and it is the responsibility regardless of the amount stolen by the owner as once reported, if it occurs again there is a report, any patterns, anything can come up and assist.

Yes, they can also request fingerprinting and yes a bit excessive but whom ever had the $40 probably really needed that money and to her/him it could be like $100 to someone else so if she was upset your director may have again felt that responsibility. If they chose to do so, prints can be found on the bag, locker even if the purse is missing. But i think it was more of a statement otherwise he/she would have done so at the time the police were called.

She may very well have misplaced it, or it was taken by someone at her home.

I take it that you were the only other adult there with her and why you are concerned.

Children of any age can be mischieveous as well.

If you hold no guilt, just saying, then don't worry about it, you can't be fired for something you didn't do without proof, or they would be very sorry in the future when you took them for un-fair dismissal.

Hope that helps.

CW

Junior Member Array

Thanks CW , Yes It is just me and her in the room, and there are times where the room is un attended, for example when we bring the kids outside. The onle time we are alone ( 1 of us in the room) is nap time, to cover eachothers breaks, so yes I was alone today. I am a bit concernd only becuase of course my fingerprints would show on her purse..we keep our bags in the teacher closet...so if I simply move her bag to get a supply or something, also theres plenty of times where she will ask me to go in her purse and grap her sunglasses, so it is just bothering me knowing that my prints are all over her stuff, as well as her prints are on my stuff. you know?

There have been other incidents in the building of things being stolen, money , food ect. The police were never called before. I know my innocence but, as I said with fingerprints on her stuff...I dont think thats fair proof! No one is accusing me, it jsut bothered me so bad that this happened today, my boss was really mad, like expected.

Blog Entries

Thanks CW , Yes It is just me and her in the room, and there are times where the room is un attended, for example when we bring the kids outside. The onle time we are alone ( 1 of us in the room) is nap time, to cover eachothers breaks, so yes I was alone today. I am a bit concernd only becuase of course my fingerprints would show on her purse..we keep our bags in the teacher closet...so if I simply move her bag to get a supply or something, also theres plenty of times where she will ask me to go in her purse and grap her sunglasses, so it is just bothering me knowing that my prints are all over her stuff, as well as her prints are on my stuff. you know?

There have been other incidents in the building of things being stolen, money , food ect. The police were never called before. I know my innocence but, as I said with fingerprints on her stuff...I dont think thats fair proof! No one is accusing me, it jsut bothered me so bad that this happened today, my boss was really mad, like expected.
    Probably because of other incidents that is why your boss called this time, surely he can afford to put a key and lock on your closet? That would solve all the problems well at least your bag/her bag... I would be asking that he / she did this to ensure your money isn't stolen either as they have a responsibility also.

Good luck...

CW

Junior Member Array

Thanks, it definetly is my bosses reposibilty to ensure a safe work place, I did ask her about locks for our cabinet and she pretty much blew it off! Hopefully over the weekend she will realize that she needs to do something.

I was angry yesterday to have the cops in my classroom iin front of the children, they knew what was going on..some were scared. I, along with other teachers felt it was unnecasary.

Blog Entries

Thanks, it definetly is my bosses reposibilty to ensure a safe work place, I did ask her about locks for our cabinet and she pretty much blew it off! Hopefully over the weekend she will realize that she needs to do something.

I was angry yesterday to have the cops in my classroom iin front of the children, they knew what was going on..some were scared. I, along with other teachers felt it was unnecasary.
    Yes i can see the concern there with the little ones, i think that was un-called for as i am sure there is an office, or a call out once the children have gone home...

And, it is her responsibility i would be insisting on it, as as a work proceedure issue, collectively perhaps have a partision signed...

Good luck

CW

Junior Member Array

My boss is still not concerned about getting any locks or anything...unbelievable!

Blog Entries

Default Bosses make peoples lives hard hey!

My boss is still not concerned about getting any locks or anything...unbelievable!
    Well, i can think of only one other suggestion and that being that any notes you have in your bag, put down your bra, of course if you don't have any pockets that it won't fall out of...

At least that may solve the stolen issues? Perhaps you can make that suggestion to your colleague?

Best wishes with it all.

CW