Forum:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Am I starting menopause?

Junior Member Array

Malibu, if you are 48 and think you are done with menapause, I'd like to know why you say that. With the women I've spoken with, insomnia is pretty much at the height of the change. Just because you don't menstrate anymore does not mean you are through! Yes, I have insomnia, memory problems and withdrawal from things I used to like doing. I'm 50 and around 46 my sleep patterns changed. Hubby and I used to go to bed around 9:30. Now he goes to bed and I can be up until 1-2 am. I gave him the book by Dr. Northrup, "The Wisdom of Menopause". He looked at it, and of course his hands wouldn't touch it (AHHHHHHH)! That pretty much did it with his inquiry about my sleep problems. Here's the glitch....I fall asleep at around 5 am. Deep sleep, finally. I can't get up before noon! My friends think I'm lazy which makes me feel guilty. But when I'm up? I get things accomplished while THEY are sleeping. I find myself making appointments in the afternoon. If someone wants to have breakfast? Sorry, Brunch for me. I also make stupid excuses for my sleep pattern, like I"m a paramedic, etc... Hope I helped.

Junior Member Array

dlm65 I am experienced the same feelings as you. I am 51 but when I first started Menopause I was very horny all the time. I had unbelievable hot flashes that made me feel liek I was 120 degrees. My sleep was on its own clock which really started to wear on me. Nowadays I have very light symptoms, Thanks goodness! I believe it is almost over.

Junior Member Array

I feel very fustrated by my situation. I am 48 and for bout 2 years I have had strange symptoms.They can start at least 10 days before my period so I dont have much restbite.I am so tired & weak it's a joke.Then I get tearfull then I get so irritable & nasty I feel like I am on a pressapeist.I am constantly laking sleep which makes me look like a zombi.I wake up sweating & throw the sheets back & five minutes later I am freezing.I am constantly watching my weight all though I am a veggi so I eat well,but still gaining weight.However,iv always gone 27 days & they have not changed.So is it still possible that I could be pre-menopausable if my periods are regular? Iv been told that the blood test for this is a waste of time as it is hit and miss.

Junior Member Array

I am having the same problem. I am 41 and my period has always been every 28 days. I didn't get my period in September but did get it in October and it was double bad. I prayed that I would get it again in November, but I didn't. I've had light cramping and I feel like I'm going to get my period, but it never comes!! No hot flashes or night sweats, but I've been crying very easy, which is unusual for me.

cjjtsmom have you had your hormones checked? That might be a start to see which hormone is too low or too high ect...
    Last edited by Jpooh29; 11-23-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Junior Member Array

My periods are erratic, I am forgetful a lot, no insomnia, no sweats, but my worst symptom is the emotional hijacker. I don't know who this crazy person who took over my emotional buttons, but I swear they like pushing them randomly, and occasionally pushing them all at once like an elevator, just to make me stop at each one. When it isn't randomly experienced emotions for no apparent reason, then it's just the "volume" turned up way "louder" than the situation warrants. Apparently neither my Mother nor my Aunt experienced this level of emotional instability. No one seems to mention anything stronger than irritability, and this is way beyond that. Lots of people have told me to just tell myself that I can rationalize when I am experiencing it that it isn't real, it is just the hormones talking, but I think if I hear that very many more times I may go off. AM I the only apparently insane one?

Junior Member Array

Default Menopause

I am 48 and have been mis diagnosed I don't know how many times. I havent had a period in a year. One year ago I went to a doctor about mood swings, night sweats, etc to see if I was going through menopause. The doctor took all the tests to see if my estrogen levels indicated menopause. Everything came back normal. He put me on pills for depression and told me i would be one these the rest of my life. I took them one month and went off of them. It was awful! This is the second time a doctor told me I was depressed. I am a single mother of four and believe me I am not new to being depressed, but my opinion is that too many doctors don't listen to their patients and are easy to tell us we are depressed.

You are not crazy. You are simply experiencing symptoms of menopause. You know your body and when things aren't quite right. Moods swings are key to menopause, especially when these are new to you. I have handled many things in my life but what I have experienced in the past two years, mentally, have been life changing! My nights sweats have subsided now but started along with mood swings almost 10 years. It is my opinion that Doctors don't have a clue about menopause and what we experience.

Here is my advice to those of you who are experinecing mood swings and feel lost or desperate between the ages of 35 and 50.
    1. Exercise is a key. Your body can produce many things you need to substain mental clarity during menopause through exercise. This is the hardest to deal with during this time of depression and you inability to want to cope with things in your life. But it is crutial to keep up your morale. 2. Focus on your family or something or someone in your life that needs your help. This have kept me from focusing on my issues.
    3. Eat right and try to take vitamins when you can remember. I always feel better when I take a daily womens vitamin, although I will admit I suck at remembering to take them.
    4. Do not take anti depressants unless you have had issues in your past or you feel suicidal. You know your body and your mind better than anyone and if a doctor is telling you that you are depressed well duh! Your going through major changes in your life, like your kids are growing up and no one needs your any more....that's depressing....you feel like you have no purpose any more....focus! Look within for the answers you need and don't be so quick to take pills to solve your problems..
    5. Find a hobby. Focusing on your mental confidence is very important during this time. During menopause, women feel loss and feel totally out of touch. I used to be very religious and lost my spirituality during this time. Doing things I would have never thought to do before. You must hold your ground and focus on your mental stability no matter what it takes. I can't tell you how important this is.
    6. Dont be afraid to let someone help you. Most women are superwomen, especially now days when a women takes care of the children, works, clean and cares for a home and some are also taking care of grand children, among other responsibilities like finances and helping friends. My gosh if thats not enough to make someone crazy, I dont know what is. Remember all the accomplishments you made up to this point and don't be to proud to give up somethings for a while. Let someone else help for a while. This includes your own children. Let some of that stuff go. If your children are older, let them make their own mistakes for a while. They will be ok.. You don't have to fix everthing!
    7. Realize this is a natural state and it will pass. Even though it feels like everything has changed and nothing will ever be the same. You are still you and this is a very important cycle in your life. This is only a phase you must travel through. So breath and don't let these moods or thoughts dominate who you really are.

8. You are not crazy! Don't let anyone tell you that. This too will pass. Although you should always listen to your doctor, you are the final decision maker in your road to recovery. Good luck and may God Bless You.

You are women hear you roar!

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by frankmart View Post
    I feel very fustrated by my situation. I am 48 and for bout 2 years I have had strange symptoms.They can start at least 10 days before my period so I dont have much restbite.I am so tired & weak it's a joke.Then I get tearfull then I get so irritable & nasty I feel like I am on a pressapeist.I am constantly laking sleep which makes me look like a zombi.I wake up sweating & throw the sheets back & five minutes later I am freezing.I am constantly watching my weight all though I am a veggi so I eat well,but still gaining weight.However,iv always gone 27 days & they have not changed.So is it still possible that I could be pre-menopausable if my periods are regular? Iv been told that the blood test for this is a waste of time as it is hit and miss.
    Exhaustion is a major symptom of menopause. It is one of the most prominent symptoms that sent me to my doctor. I never slept more that 3 or 4 hours and woke up constantly throwing covers off and then freezing again. This is a symptom that started strong right before I went off my period for good. This last for a year or two. I still had periods at this time and had all the tests the doctors take to see if I was in menopause. They are came back negative and that's when the doctor told me I was depressed and put me on depression pills. Big mistake....don't worry this is normal and does pass. Although after a year or two. I have been off my period for a year now and have more energy than before. I am beginning to feel normal again. Energy wise anyway.

cbl
    Junior Member Array

Hi happy new year to everyone. I too am 46, I am wondering about menopause. My period is 50 days late. I though I might be pregnant, but blood test said no. I thought maybe plugged up (what that means) or any infections - prone to yeast infections, wondering where does the blood go if the period does not come. All the symtoms of period coming - every day - this must be it - it does not come - extreme breast pain more than usual. Subsided now, just a bloated belly which I shall work on. Lost quite a bit of weight not eating after 7pm, been harder these last two weeks - been feeling ravenous. Oh bwoy - age - kicking and screaming and so unpredictable. Dont want to bother the doctor so I shall go to test for infection and then wait and see...

Junior Member Array

Default dear cbl

My periods were on and off for about 6 months then completely stopped for a year. Then I had one. Menopause does begin before periods end. I had night sweats on and off, severly for almost 10years. I am 49 and believe it is passing. No more night sweats. Weight gain is usual. I have found dieting doesnt work anymore. Exercise is essential during this time. Vitamins will help with bone loss. It sucks but there is so much more maintenance at the ages of 46 and over. You must take vitamins and get exercise to keep your muscles from tightening and becoming sore. I have gained 20 lbs this year after losing 15 last year through exercise. But it was my fault because I quit working out. You are your best doctor. You know your body and I don't care what the doctor says, if you are feeling the symptoms than you are probably going through menopause. Doctors are too quite to tag us with depression. Dont believe it. Menopause can give you the same symptoms that depression can. Such as exaustion...this is the worst one....no motivation....it is so important to exercise during this time...I know it is very hard but if you stay in shape you will give your mind the much need strength to continue day to day. Menopause sucks but with each passing month it does pass ....the bad part is that one symptom leaves and another takes it place. Hang in there though...take your vitamins for your bones and get to the gym at least a few times a week ...and I promise you you will feel better.
    Last edited by stppearson26; 01-25-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast