Forum:

Thread: Hot flashes-come & go??

Junior Member Array

Question Hot flashes-come & go??

I'm new here, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I go thru bouts of hot flashes and night sweats. In August I went thru weeks of waking up several times during the night drenched, and during the day wanting to take the cottom tshirt I had on, off. Now I'm not having them at all. Is this normal?

I've had hot flashes in the past, not this severe, or lasting as long. When I told a friend, only a year older than I was, she looked at me like I was crazy and said I was too young for stuff like that.

Junior Member Array

Cool

I'm going to reply to my own thread....

I went through a period of hot flashes, as I mentioned in my first post, then they stopped...I'm having them again, but not to the degree as before, but still hot.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this?? Is this normal??

Does anyone read these posts?

December 2007 "Poster of the Month" Array

Hello.

I'm not quite at menopause yet, so I can't respond from personal experience...I read to see what I possibly have to look forward to. I know that there is so much 'back and forth' with a womans hormones during menopause, so I would imagine that it's normal to have hot flashes that come and go, the same way that some women have no period for months and then, all of a sudden, it's back again. And every woman is different, so some women will start menopause in their late 30's and early 40's, while others start as late as their mid 50's. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. I'm not someone that likes to take medications if I don't have to, but maybe there's some natural remedy to make things a bit easier for you.

Junior Member Array

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to my doctor, she mentioned hormones, but didn't think my symptoms were severe enough to prescribe. Hormones are not something I'm even willing to consider.

Every once in a while now I'll have a mild hot flash, but nothing like as described in my first post.
    As for periods, mid-August, end of October, and mid-March. Before that fairly regular with an interruption now and then, either going 6 wks. in between or one lasting 2 wks., or just 4 days.
    I'll be happy not having any at all.

Junior Member Array

Hot flashes are the worst. Night sweats, too.

I had to take hormones for them because I was unable to function at work or elsewhere!! When you get a hot flash it seems that you cna't think straight for the lenght of the hot flash.

I fought taking HRT but finally I just gave in. I also had discomfort during intercourse and the hormones definitely help with that. There are differing opinions on whether HRT helps prevent ALZ and then some sites say it contributes to dementia. It's so confusing.

I also gained 20 lbs in 6 years. My doc said estrogen has nothing to do with it but most women I know who take HRT gain at least 5 or ten lbs.

if you are 40+ you are definitely in the age bracket for peri menopause which can go for a long time in some women. Usually the peri menopause starts around 48-50.

I recently got off HRT after 6 years and I am still having the occassional hot flash. I am 58. i feel fine and am losing weight gradually.

Junior Member Array

hot flashes are the worst.

I had to take hormones for them because I was unable to function at work or elsewhere. Wehn you get a hot flash it seems that you can't think straight for the length of the hot flash.

I recently got off HRT after 6 years and I am still having the occassional hot flash. I am 58. abut from what I am told the hot flashes will subside over the course of 6 mohtns to a year.

if you are 40+ you are definitely in the age bracket for peri menopause which goes on for a long time in some women. I guess usually the peri menopause starts around 48-50.

Junior Member Array

Why can't I edit my post? I accidentally posted twice. Sorry.