Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rash every period

Junior Member Array

Unhappy rash every period

hello. if anyone can help me out that would be smashing. every period cycle i seem to develop a rash right outside my vaginal opening and my perineum ( spelling?) it super red and very painful to the touch - i.e. sex, washing etc. sometimes there is some itching. what is very weird is the little 'cuts' that develop in the crevice between my labia and thigh; these little 'cuts' also develop between my perineum and thigh. the 'cuts' are NOT open cuts they look like brighter red closed cuts. i don't have any std's so i'm not sure why this happens every single cycle. any ideas?

thanks
    norah

Blog Entries

Do you use pads or tampons?
    If it's pads, it might be a kind of "diaper rash." Change them more often or make the switch. It could also be the kind of pad you're wearing; you might be allergic to something in it.
    Try switching brands or keeping drier and see if it goes away.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Believe it or not some pads and tampons are loaded with chemicals. I have freind who hauled some into the lab and ran tests on them, what she found was scary. Tampons may have chemicals intended to reduce the chances of TSS. Scented or deodorant pads could cause sensitivity. You could be reacting.

Try getting a small plastic watering can and cut the spout off at 4 inches or so. Keep it handy in the bathroom. Fill it with warm water and rinse yourself when you use the toilet or change pads, use TP to dry yourself. This may help reduce irritation.

Blog Entries

You bring up a good point ... I make it sound like commercially-bought pads/tampons are the only option.
    There are instructions for making your own pads so that you can be sure of the ingredients. I haven't tried yet, but I'm very intrigued by it. There are also alternatives to tampons, I can only think of the brand name MoonCup, but in general there are menstrual cups you put directly into your vaginal canal to collect bleeding. So if it turns out to be a reaction to what you're using, you can try making your own, but it sounds pretty dedicated ... if you make them, you have to wash them :/

Junior Member Array

Smile rash every cycle

hi,
    thanks for the responses however, i failed to mention that this "rash" only appears right before my period even happens. I guess than it appears during PMS. Unfortunately then it can't be pads or tampons as I usually haven't even used those yet. Ugh!!! Thanks again for your good suggestions.
    norah

Junior Member Array

I just started having the same problem a few months ago.But i get a rash about an inch below my bellybutton as well. VERY BOTHERSOME! So if you have figured out how to fix this please let me know

Thank you,
    Tina

Junior Member Array

Oh my gosh!! I'm not the only one! I have the EXACT same problem you just described. I have seen 3 gynos and the only thing they can tell me is to use a steroid creme which has helped, but I don't like the idea of using it long term. I used to get it during PMS. Then it escalated and never went away .. it was so bad at one point I couldn't even wear underwear. They did all sorts of tests and couldn't find anything. They gave me a change in birth control and the steroid cream. It is manageable now, but still appears when I PMS. The doctors thought it was hormone related but had no real answer. I do find that if my immune system is comprised it flares up more, but usually it only shows up during PMS now. If you our anyone else has ANY answers I would love to hear it!! I also find keeping myself as dry and clean as possible really helps. I will shower before bed and sleep in a night gown to ensure I stay dry during the night. Seems to help it. I will often shower in the morning too. I usually don't use any soaps because I find that irritates it more. Hope that helps ... and would love to hear an answer though. I also have Celiac Disease which seems to come with some skin irritations but the doctor didn't think that was related!

Junior Member Array

I seem to get a rash on my upper lip and on the inside of my knees, weird i know though they are not very noticible the ones on my knees are irritating.

Junior Member Array

Default 18!

I'm only 18 but I have had so many issues and this is the same issue i have it starts before every period and last until the end. I never had this problem until i quit all my birth control.. it started with my last one the Marina but we thought it was just an allergic reaction to it. My GYN thinks that it is because I have been exposed to so many different birth controls and was so young.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by norah View Post
    hi,
    thanks for the responses however, i failed to mention that this "rash" only appears right before my period even happens. I guess than it appears during PMS. Unfortunately then it can't be pads or tampons as I usually haven't even used those yet. Ugh!!! Thanks again for your good suggestions.
    norah
    Hello, I just joined, basically because I was looking for an answer to a similar issue, only mine is more of an external rash. I have noticed it seems related to my cycles, and also appears just before my periods. I found this information while doing some research that I thought might be helpful: http://dermnetnz**********/reactions/prog...ermatitis.html

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast