Forum:

Thread: Haven't Had a Period in 9 Months

Junior Member Array

Default Haven't Had a Period in 9 Months

But it's a little more complicated than that.

I got my first period when I was 10, and they were 100% normal (visiting me every month, cramps, etc) until I was about 14. Then all of a sudden, my period disappeared for about 4 months.

At the time, my mother was concerned, and took me to the doctor. (And for the record, I was a virgin then and am still a virgin now.) The doctor did a series of tests and determined that I was just fine. He couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Ever since then, I've had an extremely irregular period. Sometimes it will come three months in a row, sometimes I won't see it for three months. However, ever since they became irregular, I don't suffer from any pain or cramps. My mood swings will strike me on time, however, every once in a while. It's hard for me to tell, because they were never very severe in the first place.

As of right now, however, I haven't seen my period since November of last year. Still no pain, and no other symptoms other than a lack of period. I'm growing concerned simply because I don't know why it's stopped... Have I hit menopause early? My mother has never had an irregular period, and she constantly worries because she doesn't know anyone else in our family who has.
    What could be wrong with me?

VIP Member Array

Are you like really active with a sport or something?

My friend has a similar problem. She's a hardcore dancer. I'm talking she dances almost everyday of the week and she's really active and she exercises a lot. Well, she will have a normal period then she won't have another one for like 6 months maybe (guess). Sometimes she has them for a few weeks in a row. Her mom is a nurse and she's been to the doctor and people have determined that when she has long breaks from dance (christmas, summer, etc) when she isn't active every day that it messes up her system.

Idk this might not apply to you at all but the only thing I can think of is something along those lines?

Gook Luck =)

Junior Member Array

Unfortunately I'm not really that athletic. I spend most of my time either hanging with friends, drawing, or being on the computer. ^__^

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How old are you?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Katsaly's Avatar

Irregular periods are not generally something you need to worry about. Especially as a teenager. It's actually very normal. If it becomes a serious concern, you can induce regular periods by going on the pill, or if it gets to the point where you don't have them at all, and you don't want to go on birth control, the doctor can prescribe other meds to induce bleeding from time to time to keep things "normal". But it shouldn't come to that.

Junior Member Array

WildChild: I'm 22.

Katsaly: I'm not a teenager, which is the problem. And it's been 9 months since my last period, which I wouldn't call 'irregular' so much as 'completely gone'. lol. It's true that I've almost always had an irregular period, but it's never vanished for nearly a year. The longest I've ever gone was 5 months when I was 14, and that's when my mother took me to the doctor. ^_^

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt very much that you are in early menopause. How is your general health? What is your activity level? Are you an exersize nut or a couch potato? Super lean or overweight?
    Ginger is right that women who eversize a lot and have very low body fat can develop amenorrhea. Do a search on this. you will find that it affects women at both extremes of the weight range, can be caused by certain thyroid problems or Cushings disease. 2 to 3% of all women have it, but the numbers climb close to 70% in female athletes. Do see a doctor, educate yourself and relieve your worries.