Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does higher iron levels mean heavier periods?

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

Cool Does higher iron levels mean heavier periods?

I have apparently been iron deficient for a long time. Now i am taking supplements and eating red meat, so my levels are improving. In the past i have always had light periods, but this time it is so heavy, i even felt dizzy when i stood up today. does anyone know if this is what i can expect now i have better iron levels? or is it just a co-incidence?

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

I think it's a coincidence. Is it just this one time that you had a heavier period, and have you gained weight at all?

I've been slightly iron deficient for years and always had heavy periods.

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

I use to have severe heavy periods and also being vegetarian I developed Iron-deficiancy anemia... got light headed etc.. its pretty dangerous if not treated. I was put on suppliments. I have not heard of increased iron causing heavier periods but heavier periods are not so great for a person with an iron deficiancy. Be sure to see your doctor to have that iron level checked with all this heavy bleeding going on.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array Sprite's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not a big red meat eater. I eat as little red meat as possible and I sometimes get heavy periods. So I'm not too sure with that one.
    Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly <3

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array

heavy periods can be a symptom of anemia (thanks CW for that site) but mine have always been light until now, and actually eating red meat i think i have actually lost weight, i have not been a red meat eater for years, but a small piece ie the size of my palm with vegies or salad is sooooo filling, i dont have room for dessert. i used to be hungry a lot in the evening and since taking the supplements and eating more meat, its not really a problem. i also seem to be bloating less. its just this heavy period. i wondered if it was normal. if the next one is super heavy, i think i will visit the doctor, also as i am 45 maybe i am creeping into menopause territory!

Junior Member Array

Since getting my period when I was 12, I have always had heavy periods and low iron. It is normal if you are having heavy periods (losing a lot of blood) to have some sort of iron problems. I agree that it may just be a coincidence for you. If your iron was low and you were having heavy periods then there would definately be a link otherwise. Since I had surgery last year to treat my endometriosis and been on medication to keep it under control a bit, I have had lighter periods and my iron has improved. It is still low but that is related to other conditions that I have also.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by happy ending View Post
    I have apparently been iron deficient for a long time. Now i am taking supplements and eating red meat, so my levels are improving. In the past i have always had light periods, but this time it is so heavy, i even felt dizzy when i stood up today. does anyone know if this is what i can expect now i have better iron levels? or is it just a co-incidence?
    I have been told that I am also iron deficient and been given iron supplements by my GP, since taking them my periods have been very heavy and when I stopped taking the iron the bleeding stopped. I am convinced that it is the iron causing my periods to become heavier but when I mentioned this to my GP she told me that iron had nothing to do with the heavy bleeding. I am now experimenting and only taking the supplements for three weeks and not taking them during my period to see if this makes any difference. I'll keep you posted. I also need to continuously take laxatives as the iron tablets causes constipation so don't think that is a good idea either. It's a problem, I need to bring my iron levels back to stop feeling so tired.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by happy ending View Post
    I have just found this on the web which you may find interesting to read Heavy periods - menorrhagia

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Airmans Sweetie's Avatar

i was told by my doc when my periods have clots bigger than a quarter to take an iron supplement to stop passing such big clots. that is all i know about periods & iron
    Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

Junior Member Array

Default Even if it does you have to fix the period.. don't stop taking the iron.

Quote Originally Posted by julia boots View Post
    I have been told that I am also iron deficient and been given iron supplements by my GP, since taking them my periods have been very heavy and when I stopped taking the iron the bleeding stopped. I am convinced that it is the iron causing my periods to become heavier but when I mentioned this to my GP she told me that iron had nothing to do with the heavy bleeding. I am now experimenting and only taking the supplements for three weeks and not taking them during my period to see if this makes any difference. I'll keep you posted. I also need to continuously take laxatives as the iron tablets causes constipation so don't think that is a good idea either. It's a problem, I need to bring my iron levels back to stop feeling so tired.
    Julia

For a few years now I have been dealing with heavy flow and iron deficiency. I'm constantly tap dancing around anemia. Doctors are great and you need to seek one that works with you, but MUCH of this is going to be you and your common sense.

This is the first post I have seen where someone has the same suspiscion I do. When I take iron it seems to increase the flow. Even between periods.. if I take an iron.. i get spotting. If I dont take it.. I get no spotting.

But the problem is that three years ago I just figure kay.. no more iron.. it should work out. But it doesn't. Good chance you are not building iron as fast as you need to and over 3 years of just winging it I found myself close to requiring a blood transfusion and was at heart attack risk for weeks.

So dont just stop taking iron. Instead INSIST your docs help you reduce bleeding in spite of iron and how it feels. I have tried a few things. Getting back on Birth Control helped for many months. Its not as effective now but from what I understand I can probably switch to progesterone to put things back in order. Also the day before my period I start taking Cyklokapron, it prevents bleeding and honestly cuts things in half for me which is HUGE.

Point being.. dont self diagnose. What you are thinking could be true but the way to fix it is not to stop taking iron. You need that to make new blood. Get to the doc and demand some treatment options and jump at what sounds right. Try that first.

I swear I am the heaviest flow ever.. but now with the medications I am almost normal again. No more two or three week periods. I can live again. If it gets bad enough I would try surgery but I know the idea is to avert that if possible.

Keep in touch Julia. We seem to have a similar thing going on.. we can likely help each other out. I would be glad to trade emails if you want.

Patricia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast