Forum:

Thread: Do menstrual cycles change with age?

Junior Member Array

Default Do menstrual cycles change with age?

I'm 30 and have never been on birth control so not sure if others will have been in exactly the same position or not.

I have noticed the characteristics of my periods have changed since my early 20s. I used to have cramping, bloating and lower back pain for a couple of days leading into my periods and then quite a long period - 8 or 9 days.

Over the last few years I've noticed that the cramps can be a lot more severe and could be up to a week before the period and may not last up to the period (so I could have no cramps for a couple of days before). Lower back pain has changed to upper back, shoulder pain and bad headaches. The muscle pain and headaches tend to last right through the period. My period tends to be shorter - maybe 5 or 6 days now.

Its been hard to track my periods as I've been on pain medication, poor diet, haven't felt like exercising etc but I wonder if these things have caused the differences or normal age-related hormonal changes or something more sinister.

Can anyone advise about how hormone levels might change between say 20 and 30 years of age and what impact that might have on periods?

Junior Member Array

I hope this post isn't too old to bump to the top again. I'm also experiencing changes in the characteristics of my period and the types of pain/cramping prior to my period. I hope to get to see a doctor next week but am also wondering in the mean time if everyone gets these changes over time.

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty much anything can change your menstrual cycle. Age, gaining weight, losing weight, exercising, not exercising, stress, medication, etc. Anything and everything. So, it's kind of hard to pinpoint a cause.

If it is really concerning to you, go to your Dr and talk to him/her about it.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

Junior Member Array

Thanks for your reply LanaBear. Over the years I've become very familiar with changes caused by stress, exercise and dietary factors but looking back over the last few years can see that what's normal for me has gradually changed. I'm not really concerned about it because I do suspect it has to do with hormone levels probably changing slightly as I get older.

In any case I think its a good idea to go see a doctor because I think I'm reaching an age where it would be good to check in with a doctor a little more regularly.

WH Assistant Head Moderator Array LanaBear's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My cycles are have done a 180 compared to what they were 10 years ago. Eh, our bodies change, unless it is completely drastic, I don't see a problem. But, I religiously go in every year and have never had an irregular pap, so I tend to be a bit more lenient with my body's changes than some.
    Friendship Prayer
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.
    Amen

Whoever said anything was possible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.