Forum:

Thread: serious question....kinda intense..Call my doc?

Junior Member Array

Exclamation serious question....kinda intense..Call my doc?

Hi. This is very graffic. but, I'm really not sure what is going on. I am 26 yrs old and have NEVER had this happen. I started my period yesterday, but today I'm having the worst blood clots....I guess they are blood clots. I mean I'm litterally changing my tampon every 20 mins. and This massive blood clot basically almost pushes my tampon. And this is every few mins all day long!

I mean these clots are very big...very thick...

I'm not sure whether to be alarmed. Of course I am. But, I wasn't sure if this is normal sometimes?

Any help would be great. I just need to know if I should call my doctor or if this is sometimes normal and just wait it out.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Default Reply

Melissa,

the following are just suggestions of the things i could think of. only you know if any of these conditions apply to your situation.

are you taking any contraceptive medication?
    sometimes when you either stop taking for example the pill, you can experience a change in flow. also if you have had any significant change in diet or even emotional stress/stress can have repercussions on your cycle.

another option could be a spontaneous abortion? but if your period came when expected it couldn't possibly be one for it would be too much coincidence.

When menstrual bleeding is heavy, clotting can also occur. Losing large clots can be extremely upsetting and even painful if they are large because they can cause cramping as they pass through the cervix. There is a simple explanation as to why these large clots are formed. All blood contains a clotting factor. To enable menstrual blood to flow freely from the uterus (womb) and leave your body without clotting, the uterus produces an anti-clotting agent. But if the menstrual loss is heavy, it is possible that the anti-clotting agent will be used up before a period has finished, so that the remaining blood is likely to form clots.

If your periods have changed, it's very important to see your doctor. There are a number of diseases which can cause heavy bleeding (see list below). The doctor will investigate possible causes and offer the appropriate treatment. But in about half the women with heavy bleeding, no cause can be found.

Some causes for heavy menstrual bleeding are>

1. Unexplained - for half of all cases no cause can be found.
    2. Contraceptive coil (IUD) - the coil can cause heavier, longer periods.
    3. Injectable contraception (Depo Provera) - can cause heavy or prolonged bleeding.
    4. Pelvic disorders:
      • Fibroids - these benign (not cancerous) growths in the muscular wall of the uterus are a common cause of heavy bleeding.
      • Polyps - these benign growths of the lining of the uterus may cause heavy bleeding but more commonly lead to spotting between or after periods.
      • Pelvic inflammatory disease - an infection in the reproductive tract which can cause infertility and chronic pain if untreated.
      • Endometriosis - a painful condition in which the lining of the uterus grows outside the uterus.
      • Endometrial hyperplasia - thickening of the lining of the uterus, leading to heavier bleeding.
      • Endometrial cancer - cancer of the lining of the uterus, causing heavy periods, bleeding between periods and blood-stained vaginal discharge. Rare, but more common in women after the menopause.

5. Blood and hormonal conditions:
      • Hormone imbalances - can stop ovulation (egg release) leading to build-up of endometrium and heavier periods.
      • Hypothyroidism - an underactive thyroid gland can cause heavier periods.
      • Blood clotting disorders.
      • Use of anticoagulant drugs.
    The menstrual cycle is affected by stress. If you are going through any kind of life crisis, it is possible that your periods may settle down once that crisis has been resolved. Meanwhile reassurance from your doctor that there is nothing seriously wrong may help you to accept this change as a common and usually temporary response to stress. For many women, however, there is no easy solution to the stress in their lives. If this is the case, you will need to decide whether you want treatment for your heavy bleeding.

Long list huh? Hope it helps!

Junior Member Array

Arrow Thanks!

Thank you! It's just going on 3 days now. And some of the clots are as big as a silver dollar and the one I passed today was almost as big as my palm. I mean it's really disgusting. And of course I have had blood clots before, but never like this. These are so big that they push my tampon out.....

Bad cramping.....I have never had a period like this before. And i see my women doc every year.

I'm going to see a doctor/ b/c this is going on 3 days.....and it's not like me.

Thanks for your advice. Prob in my case it will be nothing. Hopefully it will be nothing. But i guess better safe than sorry.

Thank you again!!

Melissa

Junior Member Array

Default talked with the doc

I spoke with my doctor today. And told her all my symptoms. And she said that it sounded more like I was pregnant and had a miscarriage. I have a appt tomorrow. And she's going to do an ultrasound and various test. But if that is the case. I never even knew I was pregnant.

I'll let you know what happens..

Melissa

Junior Member Array

Unhappy

I am so sorry if you are having a m/c. I had a m/c last year and thats what it was like for me. Very painfull and very bloody. Your doctor might have been right. Once again I am so sorry.

VIP Member Array

Thumbs up Bleeding

I had heavy periods and pains also blood clots a scan found Fibroids all is fine now as i have had it removed.

Junior Member Array

Exclamation HELP! am I ok

Okay i just had to write this ALL OVER so im gonna make it simple this time. Last month I had an abortion (I Was on the pill its not like I wasn't taking responsibility for my actions) anyways I got on the patch which I have been on b4Wnoblems. After the procedure everything went just how the doctor said and I started on the patch right away I did have a light normal period. This month after I took off my 3rd patch (on Thursday) I got my period on saturday. I was relieved because I thought I was maybe pregnant again(Ive been Very paranoid). But now Im worried because I too have been passing very big clots and have had a waterfall like flow of blood constantly. I havent really had any cramps just been soaking up medium pads and super absorbancy tampons in 45 min. I know that with having an abortion your succeptable to infections and complications but could this just be my body getting back on track and cleaning itself? If so how come my 1s period wasnt like this, Or could I have been pregnant and this be a m/c? I hope someone will reply even thouh the circumstances.