Forum:

Thread: almost 8 months without a period!

Junior Member Array

Question almost 8 months without a period!

I'm almost 18 (2 days ), and I've always had an irregular cycle, but recently my periods have gotten further apart, and now it's been almost 8 months since my last period (October 15, 2006). I'm not sexually active and this has never happened before. What should I do?

Neighborhood Watch Member Array

Go to the doctor. They can better tell you if its diet, stress, weight gain/loss, etc. its hard for us to suggest things.

Good luck

Junior Member Array

Cool Missing period issue

I am 29 years young and i have the same issue. I have alway's been irregular with my periods. I would skip mounth's and then out of the blue it would come.

I went to my doctor who helped me and gave me something to bring down my period. He explained to me why it happens somtimes. Don't be affraid it may be nothing serious. It wasn't with me. One thing that helped was taking the pill because it makes you regular. Talk to your doctor.

Good luck!

Junior Member Array ProjectPCOS's Avatar

Default re: no period for 8 months.

One of the hallmark signs of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) is irregular periods. Women with PCOS commonly have periods that are much further apart than the standard 28 days. It is not uncommon to go several months between menstrual periods, or even have no periods at all.

Women with PCOS often do ovulate on a regular basis whihc causes the irregular cycles. When you do eventually get a period, it is usually very heavy.

It is important to understand that not all women with irregular periods have PCOS. There are MANY causes for irregular periods, and women with irregular menstrual periods should be evaluated by a physician to determine the cause.

It also important to remember that not all women with irregular ovulation have PCOS, and not all patients with PCOS have irregular periods.

Many women who think they have "regular" menstrual bleeding or periods actually are not ovulating regularly. Hence, a close evaluation of the patients ovulation should be done in women who think they have "regular cycles" but have other signs of PCOS, such as excess facial and body hair, acne, fatigue, skin tags, dark skin patches, hair loss, high cholesterol, to mention a few.

it is also important ot know there are many treatments for PCOS that are very effective such as BCPs, insulin sensitizers, infertility meds. and a change in diet and exercise.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

All the Best,
    Ashley Tabeling
    Last edited by womens-health; 05-22-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: outbound links are only allowed in signature

Junior Member Array

Default also missing period

hi... i have read a lot recently that you can miss periods due to other things, other than pregnancy. i am 34 yrs old and i am trying to get pregnant. last period started april 4 lasted five days...no period since and i am usually a 28 days cycle on time. did a pregnancy test at 3 wks late and it was negative. my breast are very tender, i feel nauseous and strange in my body and it is not all in my head, as i know what i am feeling. i went to the doc and had an ultra sound and there was no pregnancy showing (could it also be too early for that). doc says it could be that i am not producing eggs and will have to do other test, maybe start taking hormone tablets. i am worried that i am going thru menopause so early. have you hear of this? can you or someone shed on light on my case? i am trying to be calm.
    rgds, quietly worrying

Junior Member Array

Default 34 yr old trying to get pregnant...

To the lady who has been trying to get pregnant but not able to...You said the Dr. did a pregnancy test and it was negative? Did you request a blood pregnany test? Did he rule out Eptopic Pregnancy? Those don't usually show up on ultra sounds or urine preg. tests. Just a thought...good luck and God Bless!
    Misty

Post Irregular periods

I am 29 years old and have always had an irregular period. My husband and I wanted to start to try to have children so I kept a log of my cycles. I had the following cycle.

August 31-September 3
    October 6-October 9
    November 30 - December 4
    Thought I was prego, but not
    March 30-April 4
    June 11 -

I have gone to have a trans vaginal ultrasound before my last period to find out that the lining of my uterous is thicker than normal. Normally it is between 8 and 12 millileters and mine was 15 millileters. I am going to have another ultrasound next week to see how thick it is after this cycle.

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by baje View Post
    hi... i have read a lot recently that you can miss periods due to other things, other than pregnancy. i am 34 yrs old and i am trying to get pregnant. last period started april 4 lasted five days...no period since and i am usually a 28 days cycle on time. did a pregnancy test at 3 wks late and it was negative. my breast are very tender, i feel nauseous and strange in my body and it is not all in my head, as i know what i am feeling. i went to the doc and had an ultra sound and there was no pregnancy showing (could it also be too early for that). doc says it could be that i am not producing eggs and will have to do other test, maybe start taking hormone tablets. i am worried that i am going thru menopause so early. have you hear of this? can you or someone shed on light on my case? i am trying to be calm.
    rgds, quietly worrying
    My entire family went through menopause very early, my sister at 32 and my mom at 35. They kept being told that it was other things, but they've never had another period, and they are now 45 and 62. It is possible, but I'm told it's very rare and runs in families. You should check with the other women in your family if possible and see. I'm 30 now and already planning on having another child very soon because of this. Good luck.