Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No menstrual cycle for over a year

Junior Member Array

Default No menstrual cycle for over a year

Hello, I'm 31 years old and have not had a menstrual cycle in over a year. I went to my doctor for blood tests and everything was normal. I can't be pregnant because I'm not sexually active. The only medication I am on is Effexor XR. What suggestions would you have?

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See a gynecologist or endocrinologist.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

VIP Member Array

just wondering what blood work was tested. did they happen to test your prolactin levels? if they did, were they normal? about 8 years ago, when i was trying to get pregnant, i went off my birth control and didn't get a period. after some blood work, they discovered i had a pituitary tumor called a prolactinoma. it's benign, and all i have to do is take a tiny prescription once a day. as soon as i started, three weeks later i was pregnant. so it could be your prolactin level. i would have that checked if they didn't do it already.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Katie35801's Avatar

Are you ovulating?
    "Natural Hippy Mama"

Junior Member Array

Hello,
    In 2008 My period stopped for a year and I did not go to the doctor to check it out because I just assumed I was going through early menapause. My mother was in her 40's when it happened to her. In April of 2009 I felt a bad pain in my lower abdomen, so I man an appointment with my GYN. He ran a battery of blood and urine test, when the results came back he said well you're not pregnant, but you're lactating milk. He said my prolaticn levels were high. He said I need to get a MRI of my brain to determine if I have a Pituitary Tumor. I did the MRI and I do have a Pituitary Tumor. This tumor is making my body think that I am pregnant. The doctors say it so simple like it's no big deal, so at the time I thought it wasn't either. He started treatment of Dosinex .5 mg around June of 2009 for 6 mos and then he wanted me to come back for more blood work to see where my prolactin levels were. My period came back about a week after I started the medicine. I stopped the medicine around the end of Feb. 2010. I stopped taking the medicine and forgot all about going back to the doctor. In June of 2010 I went back for the blood work, but didn't think anyone of getting the results. Well here we are in September I still got my period but it was very light and I started feeling ill. Nothing really hurting just feeling tired, no energy, forgetting things, blurred vision. I didn't think much of any of those symptoms because I'm over weight and wear glasses. In October and November no period. I went to the doctor for more blood work and he read the blood work from June and said the levels were at 19 just about normal. I just went back on Dec 13th and he said it was at 43. Now I've heard people say there levels were in the 100's-300's, but I'm not sure if the codes mg, cm, mm are suppose to be behind any of those numbers. All I know I am serious about this now and my GYN referred me to a Neurologist and I just did another MRI on Dec. 18th. I won't be able to speak to the Neurologist about the results until Jan. 5th. I have been doing alot of research on this so called benign tumor. This important gland causes alot of problems. Your hormones are all of whack, your body thinks that it's pregnant so you mid-sections looks the part, hair growth or loss, headaches, lethargy, nasal drainage, nausea and vomiting, problems with the sense of smell, visual changes (double vision, drooping eyelids, visual field loss), your sexual appetite is about gone, but it's benign. This tumor is not suppose to kill you, but it can cause diabetes insipidus which affects the kidney's, lever. This major gland of ours can affect so many things. My question is once I'm back on Dosinex or if the doctors decide to remove it what about everything else is affected in our body? Will our hormones automatically go back to the correct levels? Will our kidney's be fine? I want my GYN, Neurologist, Endocrinologist, etc to all come together and decide the best way to get this back in working order. Sorry for this rant, but now I'm all over this. I am researching I want studies done, because so far the doctors I've spoken to are taking this to lightly. It is more serious to affect all the other areas of our bodies.

Prolactinoma caused by a benign tumor on the pituitry gland!!! Can anyone help me!
    Hi I was hoping there was someone out there who has experienced similar problems. Im 24 and desperately want to get pregnant. I was diagnosed with a pituitry tumor over 3 years ago now with prolactin levels of 1400. My symptoms can be quite debillitating and my consultant originally seemed reluctant to believe that they were connected. I would like to know if anyone else experiences these kind of symptoms. I have severe difficulty walking when my levels are high, I slurr my speach slightly, have fatigue, weakness and virtually no energy. I haven't had a period in god knows how long. It has been years. I am also quite prone to mood swings, problems with my vision, etc. I feel like a bit of a hypocondriac but I have been battling with this for years and seem to be back at square one. I have tried Quinagolide which I can no longer take because of extremely bad side effects and have been taken off Cabergaloine as it is connected to heart problems and after a routine scan they found an anomolly on mine so now again I am suffering all these symptoms quite badly and my levels are 1500. Does anyone know if they would consider surgery even though my tumor is only small at 2mm? Any feedback would be really appreciated I haven't came across anyone with this condition and I just feel a bit lost really!

Junior Member Array

Smile I know how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Prolactinoma caused by a benign tumor on the pituitry gland!!! Can anyone help me!
    Hi I was hoping there was someone out there who has experienced similar problems. Im 24 and desperately want to get pregnant. I was diagnosed with a pituitry tumor over 3 years ago now with prolactin levels of 1400. My symptoms can be quite debillitating and my consultant originally seemed reluctant to believe that they were connected. I would like to know if anyone else experiences these kind of symptoms. I have severe difficulty walking when my levels are high, I slurr my speach slightly, have fatigue, weakness and virtually no energy. I haven't had a period in god knows how long. It has been years. I am also quite prone to mood swings, problems with my vision, etc. I feel like a bit of a hypocondriac but I have been battling with this for years and seem to be back at square one. I have tried Quinagolide which I can no longer take because of extremely bad side effects and have been taken off Cabergaloine as it is connected to heart problems and after a routine scan they found an anomolly on mine so now again I am suffering all these symptoms quite badly and my levels are 1500. Does anyone know if they would consider surgery even though my tumor is only small at 2mm? Any feedback would be really appreciated I haven't came across anyone with this condition and I just feel a bit lost really!
    I have been to see an endocrinologist may 2010 with a prolactin level of 2883. I am on drug called carbogoline and my level came down to 76. I feel so much better but still havent had a period yet. Just two episodes of spotting in year. I hope to get it back somehow. Have you had any luck lately.

Junior Member Array

Can anyone help of suggest anything. Long story short. I was leaking milk from my breasts and found out it was my prolactin level that was 2883 after an mri i had a tumor which is 5mm. I have been on a drug called carbergoline for a year my levels are now 76 but my period has not come back. Thyroid and all other levels seem to be fine. So why isnt my perio back?? Anyone have a clue. Please help me and write back :-(

Junior Member Array

Unhappy

I've had the same problem since the starting of my first mensturation. i have been doing fine for years, now suddenly when i am 20, i have started having a pain in lower abdomen. It is not a everyday problem, but i have sudden attack sometimes and its painful to greater extend. I feel weak and tired these days. I too visited doctor and they suggested me OC pills for six months. i tried out for 2 month but suddenly i stopped because i was gaining weight constantly. i am writing u this because at recent i am having pain and i was needing suggestions to act right. i would write more when i receive suggestion for my stated problem.
    Last edited by basanta pradhan; 02-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Gold Contributor 500+ Posts Array

I'm in the same boat! Basanda pradhan what kind of tests have you had done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast