Forum:

Thread: How long after lupron depo 11.25 before a period?

Junior Member Array

Default How long after lupron depo 11.25 before a period?

Hi, my name is Mrs. K. I'm 24 yr old and my husband and I are TTC. When I was 20 I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometrosis. I had surgery that helped with my abdominal pain. I was on a variety of birth controls for 8 mths and was then put on the depo provera shot in May 07. Due to the excruciating pain I had while on the shot, I only received one and remained birth control free until Oct 2007 when I began taking my 1st round of lupron depo provera.

I was on lupron depo 11.25mg from Oct 07 and it supposedly wore off around Oct-Nov 08. During that entire time I never spotted, never had the abdominal cramping, no back pain or migraines. I was literally the happiest I had ever been. Dec 08, I went back on birth control till Aug 09. I had my period every mth, which was new for me as I had always been irregular and I still had pain but not nearly as much. The pain slowly started to increase however.

The doctor had taken me off my bc for a few mths and then in Mar 10 due to all the previous pain, I was put on my 2nd round of lupron. I spotted throughout the 1st shot and had a full period in july and aug. I received my 2nd shot in Aug but since then my boyfriend and I got married and in Nov when I was to get my 3rd shot the doc, my husband and I decided it was a good time to TTC.

Since then we've been following the orders of the doc, I've changed my diet and was actively working out and trying to destress my life. I did end up having surgery on my left knee days before Christmas and I am still healing but I have yet to have a period since Aug, it's been 21 weeks now and I've tried to contact the doctor about this because w/o having a period you don't ovulate correct? Obviously to have my surgery I wasn't pregnant and I've done the ovulation tests and still they state I have not ovulated. I haven't had a pregnancy test done since the 16th of Dec but I haven't noticed anything new besides being exhausted from finally returning to work after a 2 wk leave for surgery. When I've contacted the doctor he's said not to worry and to keep trying to conceive and if I'm not pregnant by June, that we would look into fertility treatments.

I'm getting very concerned that like I said, it's been 21 wks since the first day of my last period. It's been 7 wks since I was to receive my last lupron shot. I know that most of you will say it's because of my operation that it post poning things but to be honest, I've had 7 surgeries on different parts of my body over the years and it's always brought on my period instead of postponing it. I do want to also mention that after a surgery in the spring of 2005 I did get pregnant, however I miscarried after 11 wks and none of my doctors have seemed to care that that happened to me. I'm just wondering if that possibly destroyed my chances of having a baby. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Mrs. K

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

I cannot offer you any advice based on personal experience with depo, but I can tell you that after lots of reading, it's quite common for someone who has used depo (though I'm only familiar with depo provera) to sometimes take 1-2 years before ovulating and having a period again. It can be very frustrating when you're trying to get pregnant. Get on Walmarts website or Amazon and order yourself a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It's VERY informative whether you're trying to have a baby, or trying not to have a baby and covers such things as what to expect from your cycle after hormonal BC. I think charting (which she discusses in the book) would be very helpful for you.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Junior Member Array

Thank you for your response Beautiful Disaster and I will look into the book that you recommended. After my 1st 1 yr round of injections, I did have my period 12 wks exactly after my last shot as the doctor had predicted. This time around I only did 6mths so I figured waiting 12 wks again would be a good waiting time but it's 22wks almost and my husband is getting excited thinking I'm pregnant when I don't believe I am.
    Mrs. K