Forum:

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 month long period and heavy

Junior Member Array

Default 2 month long period and heavy

Hello everyone my name is Nikki, 23. I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out. This is embarrassing but here it goes..

I will start out by saying my periods have always been irregular. My doctor always tried to get me on birth control to regulate it but I never actually did. My period started at the end of April. It was brownish in color at first and extremely light. Last week I got the normal signs of starting my period, cramping, crabby, sore breasts. Then my period came and it has been heavier than ever before. I have been changing my tampon every hour or sooner. There have been some clots but it is BRIGHT red. I feel fine, I am just worried that I am bleeding to death. I have never experienced it so bright.

I saw my doctor last month and we ran tests. I am not anemic and I am not pregnant. I go in for an ultrasound on 7/3 to see whats wrong. My doc does not know that my flow became heavier and brighter. Should I contact her? I am really worried because my mother passed away from cervical cancer. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Junior Member Array

Angry

I feel your pain, almost-- I'm 23 (w/ no history of cervical, vaginal, or uterine cancers in my family... that I know of) and I'm on day 31 of what seems like a never ending period. My doctor seemed to think it was hormonally-birth control related, but that was a week ago and I disagree. I was on ortho tricyclen lo for 2 years and was so regular I could predict to the hour when I would start. In May I spotted for like a day (for the first time after starting that particular pill in July 05) but it went away and my period came like normal. The next month I started 6 days early and then my period lasted for 13 days! The doctor felt nothing was wrong and it was perhaps stress related or something. The next month was fine. The next month again I started early - 8 days early this time - and I haven't stopped yet! That particular doctor changed my birth control about 2 days prior to this and I started it when I was supposed to, but it hasn't helped my period stopping AT ALL-- I could attribute this prolonged bleeding to that, but its another oral contraceptive and I've torn up forums on this subject and bleeding like this only seems to occur with Depo... which I WILL NOT get.

Since the change, when I didn't stop I made an appointment with a different doctor, who told me the same thing. I've heard the same thing, ALL they've checked on me is my hemoglobin level (its 15. I'm fine there), ZERO physical exams, and the office didn't do a CBC in office so that wasn't done either. Tomorrow makes day 32 and I'm really really starting to freak out! These 31 days have not been days of spotting-- its an actual blood red freakin period! Albeit its light, but still. Help?! Does anybody know what it could be?? I'm in nursing school and as a student of self diagnosis at the moment, any thing I can come up with is on the horrible end of the spectrum... and I KNOW a month long period isn't normal!!

Junior Member Array

Oh and I know I'm not pregnant, that's been ruled out. Has anybody else had this happen to them??

Quote Originally Posted by BrownEyeBelle View Post
    Oh and I know I'm not pregnant, that's been ruled out. Has anybody else had this happen to them??

WOW, I thought I was the only one with this problem!!!
    I have had my period Since Aug. 15th and still going the only thing my doctor said was I might have a hormonal imbalance. But still hasn't went away, I am on birthcontrol been on it for about a month now to try to stop it and it won't stop, my doctor told me to up it to 4 pills a day. Still nothing!! I am going crazy and I am scared. I have changed Doctor's 3 times and know one can figure this out! I am on my 98th day today with my period, I have missed so much time at work too. I do have a ultra sound appointment but that won't be until Nov. 14th. Seems like the Doctor's don't care. Well I hope someone can shed some light on us.

I feel the same way like I am bleeding to death!!!!!!
    I just want it to stop and know one wants to give me any answers!!!!!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

I have two suggestions that any of you with prolonged periods can look into:

1) Uterine fibroids. They are non-cancerous growths that sometimes can cause prolonged and heavy bleeding. I had them five years ago; I had them surgically removed. My doctor told me it was stress and I should exercise. I INSISTED on an ultrasound after I had my period for 32 days in a row and once again he told me it was probably nothing.

2) Endometriosis. It has to do with the uterine lining being elsewhere in the body. I don't know how or when it usually starts in women, but a symptom of it is heavy bleeding and/or very painful periods. My best friend had it; it stopped when she had her first child.

Insist on getting an ultrasound - no matter what!!

Junior Member Array

Unhappy irregular period

Iok im not the only one!Im 19 years old.. i have had my period now for over 46 days and its still going..i had 2 blood tests and results are normal except that iim low in hemogoblin (doctor put me on iron pills for that), my period is sometimes light, sometimes medium, sometimes heavy! a lot of blood clots! however, no pain what so ever! I also had an ultra sound and the doctors said that nothing was wrong except i sort of have a thick line in the uterus! so now im on provera for 2 weeks..hope it stops! its driving me insane!

Junior Member Array

OK finally im glad i am not the only one have been scared to death. Have been bleeding since oct.9th the doctor put me on provera hpoing to stop it does nayone know how long this stuff takes to work? really strarting to cramp my sex life.

Junior Member Array

im not sure...ive been on it for like 5 days now! and im still bleeding! i guess i'll have to wait and really hope it works... btw how old are you carollucas...and are you experiencing any pain?what did the doctor say?

Junior Member Array

Hello Everyone, I Understand Where Your Are Coming From...i Have Had My Period Since October 12th.... But I Have Had And Abnormal Period For Two Years..... The Doctors Keep Saying Its My Weight But Im Losing Weight And Still No One Can Figure Out Whats Wrong...im So Nrvious Because I Want To Have Kids In Another Year....im 23 Years Old I Dont Understand Why I Am Going Trhough This.... Someone Please Help Me

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast