Forum:

Thread: Brown spotting, period cramps, back pain?

Junior Member Array

Default Brown spotting, period cramps, back pain?

ok, so for the past month and a half - 2 months i have been having unprotected sex, although he has been using the 'pull out' method. Before anyone gets on their soap box i know that's stupid blah blah blah.. but possible pregnancy scare isn't really my main concern with this issue. I don't think i am. My last period was on time, and considerably lighter then usual, which was fantastic for me as im ALWAYS heavy with very, very, very bad cramps to accompany it. This period is 3 days late, with cramping, not bad at all, just discomfort more then anything with only light brown spotting. I have not actually had any bleeding. For the past day or so i've had some very 'out of the blue' i suppose, back pain. Also, for the past week i have had very creamy, white discharge everyday. I can feel it come out like i am wetting myself. I'm more so worried if i may have developed some sort of infection. I have been sexually active with this guy, who is my friend, so it's a friends with benefits gig as we both in the past 6 months came out of long term relationships, so i know he hasn't been sleeping around, as we made a 'pact' to tell each other if we were to get with someone else ( for health reason more then anything ), i know he isn't not telling me as he has told me if he had made out with someone else etc. I have also been quite bloated the past few days, which isn't normal for me around period time, only the day i get my period- with cramps- and then it goes down. Also heart burn nearly everyday for the past week or so.I don't want to have to rush off to the doctors if there is no need to, i just know my body, it's cycle and everything just feels... out of wack.
    i am 20 years old, Have had brown spotting before, but not since i started getting my period at age 12 and was still irregular. I have been regular 99% of the time for the past 5 years. I'm not on the pill either.
    Last edited by sardreamah; 04-24-2012 at 06:41 AM.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

I have been sexually active with this guy, who is my friend, so it's a friends with benefits gig
    Before anyone gets on their soap box i know that's stupid blah blah blah.. but possible pregnancy scare isn't really my main concern with this issue
    Well....your attitude regarding pregnancy is a bit disappointing. I never like when someone asks for advice...but then tells the advice givers what they can and cannot say.

Now...with that said... I'm kind of wondering if the light brown spotting, lower back pain, heavy discharge isn't ovulation..........not period. Perhaps your ovulation was delayed this month for one reason or another, and you're just now ovulation...which means actual period will come in 12-16 days. The heavy discharge definitely makes me think that, especially if it's not discolored or foul. Of course it could also be a bacterial infection or an STI. Just because someone comes out of a long term relationship doesn't mean they are STI free. You're trusting another human being, whom your friends with, with your livelihood. Also, not every woman stops her period completely during pregnancy. It is not uncommon at all for a woman to have spotting when she would normally have her period, therefore think she's not pregnant and later find out she is.

If it were me? I'd take a pregnancy test today. And if it's negative, I'd change my views on protection asap. I do not take hormonal BC either. But I do chart my cycles so that I know when I'm the most fertile. I abstain from sex on those days altogether. On the other days, I use condoms. But there are other options out there like the diaphragm. The book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler changed my life in regards to understanding my own fertility and how my body works. I don't plan to ever go back on hormonal BC unless for some reason I'm medically required to. Go take the pregnancy test.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Junior Member Array

Thanks for the advise, I just had some dark red/ brown blood.. Does this mean i do have my period? I have never had all these symptoms at once before, so I'm flying 100% blind.

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

It's just hard to know.. our bodies can do some crazy things sometimes. You really and truly just need to run out and get an HPT (you can get one for $5 or less at a local Dollar Store if you have those in your area), and set your mind at ease. I think once you rule out pregnancy, you'll feel much better about it all. The fact that you mentioned the heartburn tells me that to some extent you ARE concerned about pregnancy. So rule it out and then you'll know how to move forward from there. Let me know how it turns out!!

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array DreamP346's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brown is usually dried up blood from the previous cycle coming out. A current period is bright red. Stress change mess up your period. Are you anxious or stressed about something. The heart burn may be a sign of the stress.

Unless you both got a complete STI check-up after your last sexual relationship, there is no way of knowing if either of you are STI free. For example, men are usually HPV carriers and never even know it. Its estimated that 50% of the US population has contracted HPV at one point. Just think about it, there is a 50% chance your partner had HPV at some point. And that's just one disease. Give your mind ease by just going to the doctors and getting a complete STI check-up. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind.