Forum:

Thread: Variety of things - can they cause a missed period?

VIP Member Array

Unhappy Variety of things - can they cause a missed period?

I was a vegetarian, and I had regular periods. I became vegan just before the time my period was supposed to start, and it hasn't come. It's now been between 6-8 weeks since my last period. During this time, alot of things have happened with my body.

I have gotten a cold, but it's been very weird, like whenever I coughed I would almost puke - but there was nothing being puked, not even the stomach acid stuff would come up. My breasts also got a bit bigger, and much more tender, but since then, I think they've gotten back to normal. I have had quite alot of abdominal(spelling?) pain, and have had to spend alot of time sitting down, and/or holding that area with my hand. When I'm standing, I can't stand up for too long, I start feeling like I'm going to be sick and have to crouch down on the floor. My mum's been making sure I drink alot of pure fruit juices for vitimins and things, and to prevent me getting too miserable by giving me a variety of foods - as being miserable can happen with a diet change, she said. At the moment, anything that has alot of chemicals or additives in it - like fizzy drinks - I can't stand, they make me want to be sick. Other foods do it too - anything considered junk food - crisps, drinks, etc. I can have fruits, vegetables, pasta and marmite with no problems - I'm okay with tinned fruit too, but it doesn't taste the same - which is the same for the junky foods I can't stand anymore.

I can't remeber if there's anything else...

I was wondering if this could be because of my sudden diet change?
    I already know the possibility of a pregnancy, but I'd rather know if there are other possibilities. I read somewhere about hormonal imbalances and wonder what can cause those? I have been stressed, and I'm not sure if it's all gone yet.

Thank you so much for reading this.
    Any replies, advice, help - anything, will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AngelicBunny; 12-09-2007 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

I had a vegan friend who stopped having her period because she was lacking B vitamin and Iron. Be careful with that diet. Take a multi vitamin daily and really watch that you are getting all the necessary nutrients that you need. Most people think that if they have protein covered they are ok, but there are so many other things that you need as well that are very hard to get with a vegan diet.

VIP Member Array

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    I had a vegan friend who stopped having her period because she was lacking B vitamin and Iron. Be careful with that diet. Take a multi vitamin daily and really watch that you are getting all the necessary nutrients that you need. Most people think that if they have protein covered they are ok, but there are so many other things that you need as well that are very hard to get with a vegan diet.
    Okay, thanks. My mum has been getting these multivitimins with Iron but they're absolutely huge - and I really have trouble swallowing pill type things... I choked on a tiny iron tablet once
    Thank you so much for your reply, I think hearing that somebody else had stopped having her period because of it is reassuring. Did she get her period back? Or did it make her infertile?

And the protein thing - my boyfriend told me you only need a glass of oatmeal a day to get more than enough protein, but I don't know if oatmeal is even vegan... I barely know what it is

Again, thanks. Your comment was really helpful

Oatmeal made with water has no animal or animal products in it.If possible maybe you should go to the doctor,he can run some blood labs and figure out if you're lacking anything in your nutrition.