Forum:

Thread: Laughing and crying at the same time?

Junior Member Array

Default Laughing and crying at the same time?

No, I don't mean tears of joy.

Sometimes, when I'm alone with my husband I get overwhelemed with this feeling of hopelessness and sorrow so I cry AS WELL with a coinciding feeling of... well, the feeling that makes you laugh out loud, that tickling sensation that something is funny (while i'm not thinking about anything funny, at all) that just makes me start laughing. This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in the past month. After this un controllable and confusing behavior is overwith, I feel exhausted and just rest or sometimes fall asleep.

It's really arre and freaks him out. Could it be some sort of stress releif or a signal of a mood disorder? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

My wife has done this a few times. Don't worry, you're not alone. It just happens from time to time. Doesn't mean anything really. Probably just God finding you in an intensely sad moment and giving you something to laugh about.

Cheers.

when i was younger at dinner i did do it id just burst in to laffing no reason at all its good to laff and cry it cleanse you in some way it lets out the bad toxians in your body. But you said your overwhelmed why?
    LOL

Junior Member Array

Question

I do it alot im 24 and i feel like im going insaine i do it for no reason at all i could be watching tv find something funny and it starts it goes on so long it makes me sick i dont know what it means ive asked doctors but i dont ever get a real answer so if anyone knows help!

Women are emotional, it could be that its a time of the month that the hormones are in overdrive.... its normal. Feelings of overwhelming happiness can sometimes spark fear or grievences which could make you over emotional. If its an ongoing up and down emotion thats where it could possible be a disorder. Highs then you feel very low, bipolar, which is controllable with medication. Thats something you can look into if you feel that may be something you are suffering from.
    Bubbles

Junior Member Array

Thumbs up Emotional Rollercoaster!

There is nothing wrong with crying and laughing at the same time. It's like you're being overcome by a combination of emotions, stress and/or tiredness and your body doesn't know how to react. I've only experienced it twice in my life, and both of those times occured within a five day time frame. The first time I was extremely tired & my sister was talking about a slightly saddening childhood event in a comical manner. I wanted to laugh 10x more than cry but I began to do the two uncontrollably for 5 minutes. Then a few days later I was still kind of tired, stressed out about college and dissappointed. I was thinking about how dissappointed I was (in regards to a friend's actions. It really wasn't that big of a deal) when tears started streaming down my face. Then seconds later, I realized I didn't really want to cry over something so simple and began laughing uncontrollably AGAIN (thankfully I was alone that time). But I felt sooo relieved from all the stress afterwards. Certainly, it's not a mental or emotional problem. I think it's just a healthy, God given way of releasing stress. Even if you feel kind of cooky or silly after crying and laughing, just remember it's normal and perfectly fine to do.

But you have to admit...it's a great feeling! It like a natural high.

Junior Member Array

Post Laughing and Crying. Pain! " Called Anxiety"

I finally found a site that explains my anxiety. I had a crazy life. I don`t know what causes it .I have been taken to the hospital and spent all day crying and laughing hard. It hurts my chest and head. I get this about once a month . I can`t stand the pain of crying the laughing sounds crazy. I have had alot of stress. You can not run from it. At these times I feel like hurting my self or someone else. I can not stomp on a ant. I love everybody. I say" this is not my world ". I just want to die, then I laugh Hysterically cause it is my word.
    My father molested me. I loved him so much. Glad he died of cancer.
    After 21 yrs. of marriage my husband shot his self.
    The next man I fell for told me he was going back to his wife. I did not know he was married.
    Three years of living with a alcoholic man he shot his self, saying I will be just like your husband.
    Next three years living with Mr. perfect.came home knocked me out and burnt my house and car. (Think he got on bad drugs. Just one night.)
    Now for the last seventeen years, I live with the nicest man I have ever been with. I have the explosions of crying and laughing. Pitting my self. Doctor gave me a pill that will put me down (sleep). then I am OK for a month or 3. You really do feel crazy and want to hide from people looking or talking to you.
    Had one in the Rheumatology waiting room full of people. I said excuse me I am having a anxiety attack it got so bad the ambulance came and took me to the hospital. they were afride I have a stroke or heart attack 10 am in the morning.. to 7 at night. I finally got home and slept it off. Feels like you are dieing. Hurts. Pain.