Forum:

Thread: Best over the counter vitamin for energy?

Junior Member Array

Question Best over the counter vitamin for energy?

I am forever low on energy focus, but when I finally do have these two things I feel normal. otherwise I am always drug down and feeling like I am half sleeping. I do take 5 hour engery once in awhile, but even that wears off after awhile. Anyone know of any vitamins that give you heaps of energy and focus? that is generally safe? I am sometimes sensititive to things, but not always.

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

How much sleep are you getting Ashlyn? How much exercise?

Often times when we feel something isn't quite "right" with our bodies, we try to medicate it with synthetic sources... like energy shots.

the answer could very well be in your diet, your sleeping habits, your exercise regime...

Eat lots of fresh produce and drink water regularly - these things will help you keep your energy up, and will give your brain the nutrition it needs to focus better.

Try to make sure you're getting 7 hours of un-interupted sleep every night. If that's not going to happen, at least try to make sure that your sleeping space is without distraction. Turn off the phone, turn off the lights, no TV - these all disrupt our sleeping patterns.

Get moving! That 2:00 feeling the energy shots advertise they can eliminate, can just as easily be eliminated with a quick walk or even just some active stretching for a few minutes.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

My husband always had trouble staying awake (even though he was sleeping 12+ hours per night) until he completely quit caffeine. No soda, no coffee, no energy drinks. It was hard for a while, but it has made all the difference - including that he sleeps around 8 hours and feels great. I don't know if this is your problem, but it's something to try.
    Other than that, a normal multivitamin should give you anything you're lacking that might contribute to a lack of energy.
    Nature gives us shapeless shapes,
    Clouds and waves and flame,
    But human expectation is that love remains the same,
    And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.

Register|Contact Admin|Email Admin

Tim
    VIP Member Array
    Blog Entries

The very best thing for energy is to try to get on a very clean eating and detox plan. I'm not kidding, it works. The more burdened the colon is, the more taxed the immune system, the more energy reserves are sapped.

Part of the clean eating part will give you the whole food nutrients that will help amp up energy. Camu berry powder for instance is loaded with Vitamin C.

This is a huge topic that I've made a long-term study on. I could write a whole website on it alone.

But to more directly address the question, see where your vitamin D levels are at for starters via a blood test. If low (under 60 according to Dr. Holick, a decades-long Vitamin D expert researcher, but many orthodox doctors consider anything over 30 to be fine...a lot of people I know do not feel "good" until their levels are at 60) consider UVB tanning as my preferred choice, along with some clean cod liver oil (mercury-free) as a natural source of D. With safe tanning, never burning, your body will make the maximum D, increasing levels by as much as 150% in six weeks according to his research. Having low D, you will def feel tired. Having normal D just plain feels good; feeling good and energy go hand/hand.

There are also non-tanning vitamin D-producing light systems available.

The pill varieties of D are fine for most people according to Hollick, and are sometimes required to get levels up, but make sure you're getting enough magnesium, such as the topical oils available, since D requires and will deplete mag if it is not in adequate quantities...and can and has in some people depleted mag big-time. It's a must with any D supplementation in my opinion. D is also fat-soluble, so you can take too much and overdose on it. But, this is very rare, and mostly happens only by accident. I know people who take 5000 IU's a day, tho I personally would not myself (I used to take that much every other day, now I just tan for a few minutes every other day instead and take some cod liver oil daily).

The next most important thing to look into would be Vitamin B12. B12 enhances energy in most people readily. The important thing to keep in mind with B12 is that it is water-soluble, so hard to overdose on (no known cases that I know of) BUT, it's vitally important IMO to supplement with ONLY the "methyl" variety, NOT the "Cyano" variety. The former enters your body sublingually, via the mouth/saliva. The Cyano variety is sometimes lipo-encapsulated but the point is, the cyano is derived from cyanide. (Cyanocobalamin)

And "Yes," cyanide is a poison. And I would not touch cyanocobalamin ever again with a 10 foot pole, no matter what any expert claims about it's safety. I **have** tried it in the past, and felt a distinct bloating in my liver...which I didn't realize was the cyano B12 until later. Obviously, my liver was detoxing the poison.

Why put a poison in the body when you don't have to? That's how I feel about it anyway.

I use the methyl (methylcobalamin) variety instead. You have to determine for yourself the dosages, and best with a good alternative doctor who understands nutrition and vitamin supplementation for medicinal use.........................Tim

Tim
    VIP Member Array
    Blog Entries

P.S....In the pill form, Vitamin D3 is what I've used. A lot of food products enrich their foods with D2, which is not nearly as effective at upping D levels as D3 is. Most supplement manufacturers and health food stores know that D3 is the optimal form of D3 as an isolated nutrient. There are also some whole-food supplements of D, usually mushroom-derived, that I'd look into as well, and a good cod liver oil is a great standby for other benefits as well (great for depression and healthy fat intake!).

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

A Vitamin B-Complex is best for energy. It also provides the right vitamins for your brain to create seratonin (the happy chemical in your brain). However, I did take a B-Complex vitamin once and felt like I was bouncing off walls. It can affect people differently I guess.

Junior Member Array

outbound link removed This isn't directly for energy. But after a week or two it really starts to have affect. I've been on it for a few months and I feel so much better than I did before! You can also mix it with a little bit of grape juice and it tastes REALLY good!
    Last edited by KMonte85; 03-16-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: outbound links not allowed

Banned from WH Array

A well balanced diet, good sleeping habits and moderate exercise can help.

There is no scientific evidence, not one legitimate research based scientific study, at any level that anyone should "detox" anything.

Be cautious when you read what is 'best' for you or anyone else in a anonymous forum like this one.

Your body is a temple...treat it accordingly.