Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 year old started her period

Junior Member Array
    Currently in NC but soon we will be in Japan

Default 9 year old started her period

I was horrified this morning when my 9 year old told me she started her period. She didnt really say that bc she didnt know what was happening but I got the jist. I tried to explain to her it was normal and she changed her clothes and went to school. She saw the counsolar at school and she furthur explained to her what was going on. My question is should I try to furthur explain things when she comes home. I dont want her to be embaressed but I myself am embaressed. What should I say to her? Also should I give her the sex talk with her now. If so how do I do that? I mean she is 9. Any help will be appreciated.

VIP Member Array

Don't make a big deal out of it. If you don't freak out neither will she. Just explain that is a normal thing that happens to all girls. Tell her that each girl starts when her body is ready. As long as you reassure her that it is normal she will be able to deal with it.
    I had friends who started at age 8 and others who didn't start till they were 16. As long as a girl understands it is normal, she will handle it just as well as the next girl.
    As for the sex talk, don't make it contingent on starting a period. It should be something that is discussed when she is ready and you are comfortable. I didn't get the sex talk until 2 years after my period but my sister got the talk before she ever started hers. There is no right or wrong, just talk when she is ready.

Junior Member Array

I got my period when I was 10, and cried hysterically because I didn't want to grow up. I felt like I was the onlyyyy one who had it. Turns out a lot of my friends got it around that time too, and I didn't even know!
    As the person above me said, tell your daughter that it is normal and just a part of growing up. I wouldn't say you need to give her "the sex talk" if you don't think she is mature enough, but atleast give her a "puberty talk". Because changes like getting your period, growing armpit hair, etc are a lot less scary when you know they are coming.

Banned from WH Array

Quote Originally Posted by angelinabrewer View Post
    She saw the counsolar at school and she furthur explained to her what was going on.
    Ouch. Probably not the wisest thing to allow to happen.

WH Super Moderator Array x.st.angel.x's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When i started my period my mom got a puberty book for me out of the library and she sat down with me and went through it. It was helpful to have the book im sure that took a lot of stress off her shoulders. As for the sex talk, if she hasnt asked you about it then i wouldnt worrk about it but when she does that would definately be the time to talk to her about it. Good luck
    Lifes not about how many breaths you take its about how many moments take your breath away!

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array hello_pitty's Avatar

I started my period when I was 9. My mom told me all about it the year before, so I knew...since my mom started hers when she was 10, she said there would be a chance that I would start mine that early...which I did. Then she gave me the "sex talk" when I was 13. She also let me attend sex Ed classes incase she left something out. So now I will know to educate my daughter (who isn't born yet ) about the same time my mom did.

The sex talk could wait for another year or so, but it would be a good Idea to let her know that since she has her period, she can get pregnant from a boy...just leave it at that (unless she asks HOW, then you can give her sort of a tidbit like "having sex makes you pregnant so just stay away from boys" lol). Then when she's around 10-13 tell her about the birds and the bees...best to start learning how you're going to explain it to her. Buy books that you can read through with her or read a few parenting books yourself so you'll be better prepared. You'll have to teach her about safe sex and birth control...i know it seems strange, but she will be experimenting soon and the boys will be too!! Best that she knows about this stuff beforehand!

Good luck!
    "I might be a little young, but honey I ain't naive"
    "If it ain't an APBT, it's just a dog"

Junior Member Array

My nine year old has basic information. She started ner menarche recently and it has been surprising for us but we're accepting it. Out of the mouths of babes: upon trying her first "pad" she asks "do they make them in kid's size?" I had to reply that once you need them you're not really a kid anymore.

WH Moderator & WINNER OF BEST THREAD MARCH & JUNE 2011- Don't mes with Mes T Array Mes T's Avatar

There's nothing to be embarrassed about, and I think a parent should come to terms with that themselves first, before trying to explain anything to a child.

I believe recent studies show that menarche starts at a progressively earlier age, due to things like better nutrition and food abundance!

Junior Member Array

Question Happy menarche

With a lack of information it does leave me wondering. Her period did last about a week starting October 10. She seemed generally fine taking pads to school. Um, I'm glad it's not me trying to describe tampons to her.
    But this leaves me with two concerns:
    Everywhere I am reading there's a suggestion that she'd get pubic hair first.
    In Zophie's case, she didn't and still hasn't.
    But this is what really has me dragged out:
    Let's put it this way. I'm 42 and 5'1". My wife is 41 and 5'8". How I'd love to be her height. But what I've been reading is that any growth "spurt" a girl has would be BEFORE her menarche.
    She's about an even 4' tall. I'd hate to think that she won't get much taller.
    Can somebody please clarify this for me? Thanks.

-Sean

Don't worry! Just think about the fact that girls have been getting their periods earlier and earlier in the US, but we don't have a sudden trend of shorter and shorter women. Of course it varies among women, but I believe it is common for women to grow until they are 17 or 18. Supposedly women who get their period later on (ex: me at almost 17), often stop growing when they get their period.

On another note, I encourage parents to try to talk to their girls about things before they happen, or at least after. I think it's good for girls to have someone close to them to whom they can feel comfortable going with questions or problems instead of feeling alone. It would be stressful for a girl to rely just on what people at school say and more comforting to hear it from an adult. Even talking about the option of shaving legs is important because before long it will come up at school. Anything to help a girl growing up today- a talk about tampons and how to use them would be helpful, I would think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast