Forum:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thongs for teens

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

Quote Originally Posted by skirt99 View Post
    My fourteen year old daughter and I were shopping for underwear this weekend and she wanted to buy some thongs. I said not at your age. She claims that some of her friends wear them. (Good grief how do they know what kind of panties they are wearing?) Anyway, am I a prud?
    A freshman in highschool wants to wear something more 'adult'? Thats about as normal as they come. And don't forget thongs & G-strings were not developed with comfort in mind.... (consider the wedgies a built-in punishment). I suggest a science experiment: Let her pick-out a pair, and also buy a less revealing but still cool pair of hipsters or boyshorts. Then keep track of how many times each is run through your washing machine.

Just be thankful she isn't asking for any of the following:

**off the shoulder semi-transparent tube top with no bra (a 70's staple)

**bluejeans with holes/rips on the backside (seems to be popular for about 2 years every decade since the late 60's)

**lycra tights (The 80's power-skank fabric is currently popular again. Thankfully the hair is not)

**Micro mini-skirt (always popular somewhere since post-WW2)

**the earring-nosering chain. (Considering the tattoo & piercing cultural high we have now, I'm actually surprised this late 70s-early 80s punk-rock jewelry hasn't come back in style).

**clear heels (Just go ahead and rename your child after a luxury car)

Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mes_T View Post
    They know what they're wearing cuz a) they've gossiped about it and b) they probably change in the same room for gym class or something.

Personally, I don't see anything inherently wrong with thongs (other than them being uncomfortable to ME). They're (hopefully) not a piece of clothing that others would see anyway, so really she'd just be wearing one for herself, maybe feeling a little bit more mature, more grown up!

If her friends are doing it then... she probably feels like she has to compete with them or something. Remember how when you were a kid, you wanted to do the same sort of things that others did, especially the popular kids?
    i am 14. i have two thongs. I wear them because I don't like the granny panties that my guardians buy me. the other day I recieved hannah montanna. it may not be just to be cool its just so she wont get laughed at. try buying hot pants or boy legs or girl boxers they cover more and are quite sexy. my guardians trust me and i respect that they do . trust your daughter and but her what she wants its for her not boys i can promise you that. I know that 90% of the girls i know would be sooo embarased if a boy saw them in a thong. i would be too. but her friends would be proud!

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Little_Miss_Me's Avatar

When I was a teen, my mom gave me your response.

Honestly, I just wanted them so I wouldn't have panty lines.

And guess what? That was the age that I quit opening up to my mom because she automatically assumed the worst, and still to this day, I won't open up to her because of it. Same with birth control. I have PCOs, and I wanted to be on birth control to help me with the cyst problems I was having. Instead of taking her with me when I was younger to get the prescription, I had to wait until I was 18 to buy them, simply because I wasn't comfortable with her knowing HER PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL is on birth control.

Blog Entries

I don't think you are a prude for banning a 14 year old girl from wearing thongs. Im 17 and I rarely wear one, which is only because of panty lines in dress pants or tighter fitting jeans. I think at 14 wearing a thong might make your daughter feel like its a right, and that at that point she may decide she's old enough to start fooling around with guys, which can be potentially bad. She probably doesnt understand that a guy who notices a girl her age wearing a thong thinks it's completely okay for him to use her, and therefore end up in bed with her. (No offense anyone).
    The trauma of abuse is never fully gone from a person's consciousness. Its filthy stain leaves its residue on the soul forever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterUrge View Post
    A freshman in highschool wants to wear something more 'adult'? Thats about as normal as they come. And don't forget thongs & G-strings were not developed with comfort in mind.... (consider the wedgies a built-in punishment). I suggest a science experiment: Let her pick-out a pair, and also buy a less revealing but still cool pair of hipsters or boyshorts. Then keep track of how many times each is run through your washing machine.

Just be thankful she isn't asking for any of the following:

**off the shoulder semi-transparent tube top with no bra (a 70's staple)

**bluejeans with holes/rips on the backside (seems to be popular for about 2 years every decade since the late 60's)

**lycra tights (The 80's power-skank fabric is currently popular again. Thankfully the hair is not)

**Micro mini-skirt (always popular somewhere since post-WW2)

**the earring-nosering chain. (Considering the tattoo & piercing cultural high we have now, I'm actually surprised this late 70s-early 80s punk-rock jewelry hasn't come back in style).

**clear heels (Just go ahead and rename your child after a luxury car)

I agree with you. I never have asked for any of that stuff, but Im a senior in high school and trust me, Ive seen it all. Now there is the baggy pants thing...I hate seeing guys playboy boxers.
    The trauma of abuse is never fully gone from a person's consciousness. Its filthy stain leaves its residue on the soul forever.

Junior Member Array Patricia12345's Avatar

Are you all serious? It's underclothing that no one will be seeing, other than perhaps the other girls in the locker-room. If you worry about them riding high and others seeing them compromise with her and ask her to wear a longer shirt so this doesn't happen. But for god sake none of you should be having a cow over the type of underwear your kids wear. Honestly it's an invasion of privacy, and yes you child at 14 is old enough for privacy. If you disagree than take her door off and let everyone see her changing. I mean come on! All you really might do is alienate your kids.

For example: My daughter (15) hides next to nothing from me. She just started dating last year and the boy she has been seeing is the perfect gentleman and I completely trust my daughter to make the right decision. Having said that, not that it's anyone's business, she has been wearing thongs since about 13, for much of the same reason, they are popular. But she never flaunts it, it's not the only thing she wears, and she didn't turn into a vixen or something.

My friend tries to control what undergarment her daughter wears. Her daughter is now 18 and she told her mother that she has been wearing thongs since she was 14. She just bought them herself and hid them at a friends house and would change into them somewhere else after she left the house. It didn't stop her, it just gave her daughter a reason to lie to her.

Think for a second, would you rather let her wear the thong and simply explain to her about not letting it show, etc. Or have her think that she now has a reason to lie or hide something from you. Because once that happens you will be hard pressed to "truly" know what is going on in her life. I mean there are two ways of doing things. You can be a tyrant, which works but at what cost? Or you can be the type of parent that is almost extinct. The one that talks to their children without fighting or arguing and have a happier relationship.

Just saying....

Junior Member Array

I totally agreee :-) a 14 year old does not need to be wearing thongs. My daughter wanted them as well, I told her i'd rather she wait until she was older, and now she could wear them if she wanted too but she doesn't want them....
    Last edited by TammyMaxon; 03-22-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added more to it

January 2012 Poster of the Month Array

As a mother of now 42 and 37 yo's - I only have to say "pick your battles". Thong underwear will not change a child's inherent upbringing, morals or character. It's not like it's shown anymore than wearing a bikini brief underneath any garments that kids are wearing now-a-days.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Old thread but hey, interesting topic.

I was made aware by a Doctor, that "thongs/ g-strings", are the main cause of bacteria for a woman. If you think about it, it makes sense, all of 2 inches, rubbing back at your behind, shifting to the front, as you walk...

Perhaps for those whom can't handle their daughters growing up, try using that as a very honest reason why they aren't good for you...

CW
    PUT A LITTLE LIGHT IN MY SOUL!

Banned from WH Array

Like everything else, common sense, especially medically related common sense, means little to young females, or males, at this age..."that will never happen to me"...as they are invincible!!

Then there is the "no see" argument, from their perspective, whether they are playing a sport like volleyball wearing spandex shorts or too tight to be comfortable clothing that seems to be all the rage (in the U.S. at least), they can't possibly live with panty lines....

For me, it's a matter of choosing my battles and believing that I have done the best I can to this point, the teen age years, raising my daughter. I hope that she makes good choices and better decisions and since she's making a lot of her own decisions, it's all I can do.

I'd rather have her ask me about it and any other similar subject then discover it after the fact.

That's just me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast