Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do babies have growing pains?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array
    Blog Entries

Default do babies have growing pains?

This may sound odd but my motherly intuition is telling me that he is having muscle aches. I think he is in a growth spurt, he has been eating more, and he is very tired, and fussy. Last night for nearly 4 hours he was uncomfortable, stretching his legs out and kicking, arching his back and and I swear it looked like growing pains. He would do this as he slept. Every 5 mins or so mins he would grunt and stretch. It reminds me of being little and having growing pains!

What do u think?

Oh and so far this morning he seems fine.

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

When babies get too tired they can kick and be fussy. Mostly they don't have any other way of expressing themselves when they are very young.

I've seen a premature baby kick and fuss when she was too cold. The cure was to pick her up and let body heat warm her by holding her close. She kicked as a way to raise her body temperature by muscle action, an unconscious response.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry

Blog Entries

I think it might be acid reflux? He spits up, wines when he eats and arches his back. I'm not sure what is going on. I just want to make him happy and he is only happy when i bounce him in my arms.
    He had such a rough night

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

Makes me think he's colicky. Babies on formula rather than breast milk are often colicky (especially little boys) within their first month of life. Since he switched to formula and you're now having this issue, it really sounds like colic.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Blog Entries

What is colic? I here about it but I don't no what it is?
    I'm going crazy he has hardly slept, hes been really fussy, and I havnt been able to put him down.
    He's eating and finally pooping, I was so happy that the formula switch helped, but the past two days he has been so cranky!
    He was at the doctor on Friday should I call and go in again. I havnt slept or been able to eat. I'm not sure if it just seems worse or it is worse.

Could it be that he is simply getting used to the new formula?
    How can you tell if its reflux or colic or a tummy bug?

Do a search on WebMD for more info on the symptoms of colic, what causes it, etc.

Is the Mister helping you out at all with the baby? Perhaps he could give you a reprieve for a hot bath and a nap? Is that a possibility? Being exhausted is only going to make your stress work. I don't want you to get pushed to your breaking point. Besides, you need to get some rest in order to be the best mom for the little guy that you can be.

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if it is full colic, unless it can come on suddenly... But I do know that his diaper is clean, he is fed, and burped. He seems to not want to be put down, and when he is down he crys and kicks and wiggles until I pick him back up. All his crying is making him very tired... Over tired, so he is more fussy.

He helps when he can, he is in night school in the military. He's gone from a.m to a.m
    He needs his sleep... The worst part is duty days he's gone for two days at a time.
    I don't know anyone at this station

He finally feel asleep on my chest, but I can't move him or he will wake up.

How often is he crying and for how long? And yes, it can come on suddenly. Especially if there's been a change in his food (which there has been). If I were you, I'd call the doc and talk with them about it.

Aside from colic.... a baby can get spoiled VERY quickly to being held. Think about it...he's been attached to you literally for 9 months. He feels better when he's attached to you now. It feels warm, comfy, secure, good. He likes hearing your heartbeat. He likes feeling you breath. It feels like home. That doesn't mean you should hold him all the time, but if there is nothing physically causing him to cry, it could be why he's doing it. "I cry. Mom holds me. Perfect."

You're right Hubby does need his sleep. But so do you. Why aren't you entitled to that as well? The job you are doing right now is every bit as hard if not MUCH harder than the one he's doing....because you're getting no break from yours. You need some rest, and he needs to do everything he can to see to it that when he's home, you get at least SOME rest. I have lots of military friends whose wives and kiddos live on bases. The wives often make connections with each other and serve as support for each other in their husbands absence. This could be a sanity saver for you.

And of course..you always have us here. Though we can't babysit and give you a break...we can help keep you sane through the stress. **big hugs**

Blog Entries

I don't no how long he cries for bc he manly cries if I am not holding him and I can't stand to hear him cry so I pick him up and comfort him. He also crys hysterically if he's hungry. I know that I need to let him cry it out and take a break. that some times babies cry but I can't do it my whole body aches when he is upset. I hope this sudden fussyness goes away soon.

He is finally sleeping some even though its on my chest. I'm going to put him to bed to night elevated and see if that helps.
    I think I am a little over done, stressed, tired, hungry... My hubby feels horrible that he's gone all the time and I don't get a break but he's coming home tonight, and said he's going to take him in the morning and let me rest.

I'm going to be positive, if he isn't more relaxed by tomorrow ill take him to the doctor.

I am supposed to get together with another mom soon. I hope for some adult talk

Thank you for all the support

Yesss!! Some relief is in sight!! Glad your hubby is going to give you a break. Take advantage of it. Relish in the moment to relax and rest.

Little guy most likely just had an upset tummy + spoiled for mommy's holding. Follow your motherly intuition and any time you think something is wrong, check with the doctor. No harm done in checking.

I think you'll love getting together with another military wife/mom. There's a level of understanding between military wives that many don't understand.

Wishing you some nice rest tomorrow and perhaps a more peaceful night tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast