Forum:

Thread: Kashi - It causes unrelenting GAS??!

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

Default Kashi - It causes unrelenting GAS??!

I started eating Kashi GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax about 2 months ago. Absolutely wonderful tasting cereal with high protein, high fiber, and omega 3's. LOVE IT! However, it causes unrelenting neverending gas. I thought maybe it was just a new thing my body was adjusting to, but 5 boxes later I was still having continual gas pains and the urge to have a bowel movement every time I sat down to pee! I introduced my mom to the cereal, and the same thing happened with her. To the point that she would not eat it on work days because of the effects.

The first thing I thought of was, maybe it's the fiber? But I eat beans 3-4 times a week and other high in fiber foods so I cannot imagine that's what caused it.

Has anyone else tried this? Having the same effects? I love this cereal, but gas-x didn't even stop the gas. Any ideas?

WH Super Moderator Array sourpuss's Avatar

hmmm, my boyfriend eats that stuff like it's going out of style and is having the same problems! Which is too bad, because it's so good and good for you.
    Have you tried the other kinds that they have with any luck? What about other brands?
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Register! | Rules/FAQ | Contact Mod

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Apparently you aren't digesting it fast enough and it is starting to ferment in your body. You can buy kashi to prepare as a cooked cereal. That may have better results.
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Did a google search and apparently I'm not the only one!! I literally laughed until tears reading this website and identifying with these people. LOL. Sourpuss, google "Kashi GoLean Crunch - gas" and go the website pleasegodno.com and there is some sort of forum there regarding this. Absolutely hilarious. Still not sure what is causing this horrible gas in so many people. Thought there may be something like that Olestra that came out in those WOW chips that caused such gas and such. But nothing in the ingredients stands out other than maybe chicory root fiber.

It really stinks (no pun intended!) cause the stuff is great tasting. **sigh**

Junior Member Array

Default Kashi and Fiber One are part of the same GAS GIANT!

Both Kashi and Fiber One have chicory root extract as their main source of fiber. This has the effect of causing extreme gas and intestinal pain in some users.

It is not something you can get acclimated to either! Look for an alternative....too bad cuz they are both so good.

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array

My first thought was that perhaps it was the coupling of the BEANS and the Kashi... My dad got that years ago before they made it taste good, and it was essentially like eating twigs... now that you're all saying that it tastes good, I want to try....

farting be "whatevered"

I thought about the chicory root.....being what it is. But the tea I drink every day, 2 cups a day also contains chicory root. And though I know it hasn't near the same amt in it as the Kashi, it doesn't seem to cause me any problems. But, I gave up the kashi and the problems ended. :\ Certainly was an excellent tasting cereal.....but I think Kashi should be sued for contributing greatly to global warming. HEHE!!!

Junior Member Array

I actually emailed Kashi about this issue. (I had an incredibly difficult week at work and school...) They said it is the Chicory Root in the cereal. The gentleman I spoke with suggested that I try the Heart to Heart cereal because it does not contain the Chicory Root. It was great because I received a phone call the next day after sending this email and then a follow up email about it as well. I feel that maybe they just have an incredible level of the chicory root in the cereal. They said it effects people in different ways. I even forwarded him the web address of the forum with all the people commenting on their experiences.

My dad's wife said she'll finish the box off for me because all the gas is normal at their age and no one cares...lol. I'll be interested to see just how normal she thinks this amount of gas is :P

Hopefully this information helps some choose wisely. I will definitely be paying more attention to products with CR in it.

Crebble - that's the conclusion I came to, the chicory root. Fiber One bars also contain chicory root, and though I don't eat them, I've had two people in the past 2 months complain of horrible gas, and when I asked them what they'd eaten, both had eaten a Fiber One bar that morning.

The tea I drink every morning ( 2 bags) contains chicory root. If I go long periods of time without drinking it, then when I start back it will give me gas, but NOTHING like Kashi did.

I don't know what website you came across, but the one I found of people posting their HILARIOUS stories, was priceless. Hope you got some laughs like I did. haha.

I still have an unopened box of Kashi in my pantry. I love the stuff....want to eat it....but I'm saving it for the next person that ticks me off.