Forum:

Thread: How bad is Chinese food?

Junior Member Array

Default How bad is Chinese food?

My hubby and I eat Chinese about 3 days a week. I love the fried rice, noodles and anything hot and spicy. Hubby likes the fried shrimp and shrimp dishes and eats lots of the salmon they have.
    We are both exercising, hubby daily for 2 hours. I'm here and there but try to do at least a little bit each day.
    Thanks, Jeana.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana68 View Post
    My hubby and I eat Chinese about 3 days a week. I love the fried rice, noodles and anything hot and spicy. Hubby likes the fried shrimp and shrimp dishes and eats lots of the salmon they have.
    We are both exercising, hubby daily for 2 hours. I'm here and there but try to do at least a little bit each day.
    Thanks, Jeana.

My family have been eating chinese food since i was 14, so around 30 years, that and Greek food is my favorite .

I know, purchase all the time from Asian shops but cook it my way, less way less fat and MSG.

Fried rice if done properly includes slices of roast port cooked roasted in plum style sauce or Hoisin, bits of chicken, lots of oil, eggs, peas and the taste is mmmm... But, the oil and eggs are welll very fattening.

Most of the food granted is "wok fried" but there is a fair wack of oil that goes into that.

You can do fried rice at home, with all of those ingredients but spray the pan with oil instead of saturating it, forgoe the pork and only use 1 egg. The rice needs to be cooked or should be cooked 24 hrs before and left in the fridge, over night. I add a touch of chicken stock to mine.

Also i don't know if you have Asian shops over there but i purchase beef yearling and slice thinly down on the meat. It takes seconds to cook, still don't need much oil and chose the satay sauces etc that are lower in fat to mix in. What i found interesting is that from 1 piece of meat i would end up with 6 meals of it for 2, by the time i sliced away....

Seafood is obviously lower in fat, so chilly dishes with tomato bases are not fattening bar, the oil they use.

It's mainly the sauces they are extremely tasty because they are extremely fattening, except soy of course.....

CW

Blog Entries

When I make fried rice, I use LOTS of vegetables. I start out by sweating the onions to get as much flavour and moisture out of them as possible so that I don't have to use much oil, but I also use a lot of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce. Lots of carrots, and I usually don't use eggs. But then again, I use a rice called Botan that is short-grained, not the long grain that recipes call for.
    I love the fried rice I make.
    But takeout food from the Chinese restaurant is just the same as other takeout places. It's full of all those bad-for-you things and preservatives that make it taste SOOO good. But if you're exercising and not putting on weight, what's the problem?

C
    Member Array

We have a wonderful eat in or take out place near us...Ours consists of Chicken Chow Mein and I love Refried Rice with Shrimp....I also like the Chop Suey but I get suspect with some places...Before we moved a place near us and it was a very nice area, was found to be serving squirrel so I stick with Shrimp and rice...

Junior Member Array

Lol how bad is it? I'm personally not a fan of fried foods, I take a special interest in nutrition my self.. I would be more versatile with foods and not stick to unhealthy fried foods 3x a week. Stir-Frying in vegetables is not always a good approach, since not all vegetables work well with heat some actually lose nutrients due to heat.. And it doesn't get rid of the fatty content I'm guessing your more concerned about.

Junior Member Array

The worst part is the sodium content! Fat is high in some dishes...but the salt and MSG levels in meals at most Chinese restaurants is about as much as a person should take in over 3 or 4 days.

Junior Member Array

If you are going to eat Chinese food, you should be able to find a restaurant that is msg-free. That should help out a bit. Sometimes you just have to eat your favorite foods!