Forum:

Thread: Want to get pregnant. Coming off Depo: questions

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Katsaly's Avatar

Default Want to get pregnant. Coming off Depo: questions

So I want to get pregnant soon and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with how soon is possible.

I've been on depo for 9 months and I'm due for my next shot at the end of may, which I will obviously not be getting. It would fit my plans best if I got pregnant in the first month or two after going off birth control, but I don't know how possible that is. My mom got pregnant in the first month after stopping birth control both times she got pregnant, but that was the pill.

Does anyone know about/have experience getting pregnant after Depo?

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

I'm in the process of getting off the Depo myself (not to get preggers right away, but just being proactive for when the time comes). I have been off since December 2010 (6-ish months) and still do not have a normal cycle, even with the BC pill to help get me back to a normal cycle.

Chances are, you are NOT going to get pregnant within the first couple months of being off the Depo. The hormones used in this form of BC stick around FAR longer than with the pill - hence why you get a shot only 4x's a year vs having to take a pill every single day. Your body is going to take some time to "recalibrate" so to speak, and get back to a normal menstrual/ovulation cycle. This has been known to take up to 24 months, everyone is different of course - some take more time, some take less. However, it is very rare that a woman gets back to a normal cycle within a month or two. Talk to your doctor about your plans and see if he/she has any further advice for you. In any case, I would not be surprised if it takes at LEAST 6 months before your hormones have normalized enough so you can conceive.

Best of luck to you!
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

VIP Member Array

A friend of mine was on Depo Provera every three months and decided not to get one injection. A month later she was pregnant. So I think it depends on the individual as we are still different from everyone else. Best wishes!

WH MODERATOR Array Beautiful Disaster's Avatar

It definitely depends on the individual. I think what KM is saying is that be prepared that you may be one of the ones that takes longer so don't get discouraged and start paying your life savings for fertility treatments until your body has had it's time to rejuvenate and get back to normal. When you get off Depo, start charting your cycles. I highly recommend reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It'll teach you everything you need to know about charting, and also covers getting pregnant after depo and other bc's.

"Be what you're looking for."

"The next time you're thinking of kicking someone when they're down, offer them your hand and help them back up instead."

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
    I think what KM is saying is that be prepared that you may be one of the ones that takes longer so don't get discouraged and start paying your life savings for fertility treatments until your body has had it's time to rejuvenate and get back to normal.
    BINGO! So many women freak out when they don't get back to their regular cycle within a month or two when it is totally normal for that NOT to happen. Not saying it is impossible, just not often the case it seems.
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Array

i got off BC 10 months ago, my hormones are still all over the place but my period is getting more regular. hormonal contraceptives are not good, next time im gonna take something with no hormones