Forum:

Thread: prenatal vitamins make your boobs hurt??

Junior Member Array

Question prenatal vitamins make your boobs hurt??

i just started taking prenatal vitamins on july 18th. my period was from 6th - 9th and its usually like 7 days. but on the 19th my boobs starting hurting very badly it hurts to touch them or even just move them around in my bra. Is this the vitmans making them hurt or could i be expecting ???

thanks for all your help!

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

From my understanding, a woman should not be taking prenatal vitamins unless you know you are pregnant, or you are breastfeeding. They are formulated with folic acid, iron, and calcium (and a few others) tailored specifically to expecting women and the fetus. If you are NOT expecting, the special formulation of vitamins in prenatals could be doing more harm to your body than good. "too much of a good thing" if you will...

It is best to take a good quality multi-vitamin that is tailored to your age, gender, and any specific medical needs. Once you KNOW you are pregnant, take the prenatal vitamins.

To answer your question specifically, I have never heard that these vitamins would cause breast tenderness. There are a number of reasons why this may be occuring, hormonal changes like pregnancy or menstrual cycle, weight fluctuation, pectoral strain, etc., but vitamins aren't a cause. If it continues, you should make an appt. with your doctor and get it checked out.
    Last edited by KMonte85; 07-23-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: too early to be typing
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

On the contrary, it's my understanding that women who are trying to conceive should be taking prenatals.
    I don't believe that vitamins can make your breasts hurt, though. That would be a symptom of PMS or pregnancy.
    Nature gives us shapeless shapes,
    Clouds and waves and flame,
    But human expectation is that love remains the same,
    And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.

Register|Contact Admin|Email Admin

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

I did a very scientific google search (lol ) I found advice to take the vitamins only when you're pregnant, advice to take when TTC, advice to take when you're not TTC but want stronger nails... pretty much all just opinion stuff, not much from reputable sources.

Closest I could find was an article from Mayo Clinic advising against prenatals before a woman is pregnant, because the formulation of vitamins and minerals is specifically tailored to pregnant woman's needs.

Doubtful it would cause damage to take them before being pregnant, but if there's more iron and calcium than a non-preggers woman needs, there could be some "unpleasantness" like constipation, nausea, etc...
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Array

okay thanks for the help ladies but i was told that taking prenatal vitamins is a good things to take if your trying to conceieve. but thanks for the help.

Junior Member Array

Post more to prenatal vit? help please

i also seen a tiny bit of blood on toilet paper after peeing and i am having some pains in lower abdominal area and very bloated .Could i be pregnate??

Blog Entries

Only way to be sure is through testing. If you test positive, you should call your doctor about the bleeding.
    If your period has already been due, just about any home pregnancy test should be accurate now.
    Nature gives us shapeless shapes,
    Clouds and waves and flame,
    But human expectation is that love remains the same,
    And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.

Register|Contact Admin|Email Admin

Junior Member Array

just adding now i have had slight cramps all day and brownish discharge. Also yesterday i felt like i was going to be sick all day and cold barely eat. Today was a little better but still felt sick in the morning and if i did to much during the day. thanks for the help again.