Forum:

Thread: How soon will a preggo test show positive

November 2011 Poster of the Month Array
    Blog Entries

Default How soon will a preggo test show positive

How soon after conception can you take a home pregnancy test and it show positive? The reason I am asking is because my co-worker got married on June 2nd and they were going to try to conceive on the wedding night (They used condoms up to that point) and she said she just felt strange so she took a pregnancy test this morning and it came out positive. All my other co-workers swear that she must have been pregnant before the wedding and this bothers her. I told her that home pregnancy tests have really evolved and some can detect even as early as 1 week past ovulation. My co-workers disagree. What do you think? She says she doesn't "feel" pregnant, but she took the test because she was curious, not because she thought she was (she was impatient).

Junior Member Array

HiLizzard, They say it can be shown 1 week after ovulation or 4 days before your next period. I am also trying to conceive and check frequently. She is loucky if she wanted to and has. I wish I was pregnant too. Oh well, we are having fun trying.

Blog Entries

I did some internet research on this subject a while back, I think 17 days after the sex act that caused conception is the earliest time it'll show. Which makes a truth-teller of your coworker!

Slightly off-topic: that is some RUDE, uncalled-for gossip from your other coworkers. If I were in her boots, I'd be chatting up HR about it real quick.
    Nature gives us shapeless shapes,
    Clouds and waves and flame,
    But human expectation is that love remains the same,
    And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.

Register|Contact Admin|Email Admin

Banned from WH Array

What I could look up Liz..

And this did Not Sound Anything like my Old " Sex " Classes from the 1970's. lol And we had to " Kill Rabbit eggs back then " But we ate the Jack Rabbits/ Males .

in early positive pregnancy test becomes positive only after the fertilized egg has first implanted into the uterus and then sent enough amounts of hCG, human chorionic gonadotropin, the pregnancy hormone, into your blood stream and from there into the urine.

Implantation, when the fertilized egg implants into the endometrium, happens about a week after ovulation (range: 6-12 days), and it takes another 3-4 days after implantation (9-16 dpo: days after ovulation) for the blood pregnancy test to first become positive, followed 2-3 days later by the early positive pregnancy urine test, the home pregnancy test (HPT).

Blood Pregnancy test: If you are pregnant then the blood pregnancy test is usually positive within 3-4 days after implantation or about 9-10 days after fertilization and ovulation.
    Urine (Home HPT) Pregnancy Test: The early positive urine pregnancy test will usually not become positive until 2-3 days after the blood test, and in most women until a missed period or about a week after implantation. Many manufacturers of urine pregnancy tests want you to believe that the urine test is usually positive before a missed period, but only about 25% of pregnant women will test positive with the HPT 2 days before a missed period, and about 40% the day before the missed period.

The wide variation of when the urine pregnancy test becomes positive and how early pregnancy can be detected are due to four variables which determine when the home urine pregnancy test becomes positive:

Timing of Implantation
    Blood hCG Level
    Urine hCg Level
    Sensitivity of the Urine Test

1. Timing of Implantation
    A pregnancy test detects the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) either in the blood or in the urine. The hCG in the urine comes from the hCG in the blood after it was filtered through the kidney. After ovulation, the egg gets fertilized and travels through the fallopian tube toward the uterus. This travel takes an average of a week. Implantation, the attachment of the fertilized egg in the lining of the uterus, occurs on average about a week or later after ovulation/fertilization, but it can happen as early as six days and as late as 12 days after fertilization/ovulation. At the time of implantation the placenta starts making the pregnancy hormone hCG, which then enters the blood stream. How early pregnancy can be detected depends on the pregnancy hormone hcG which can be detected in the blood about three to four days after implantation. Urine hCG can be detected about two to three days after blood hCG can first be seen. Detection of hCG depends on timing of implantation, so hCG can normally be detected in the blood between nine and 16 days after ovulation (HPT: 12-19 days after ovulation).

2. Blood hCG Level
    There is a wide normal variation of hCG levels, both in the blood and the urine and this wide range changes the diagnosis of how early can pregnancy be detected. If a woman has low blood hCG levels, for example, then it can take several more days for it to show up on a pregnancy test.

3. Urine hCG Level
    Urine hCG levels change over the course of the day depending on how much you drink and how diluted or concentrated the urine is. Urine pregnancy testing is best done with more concentrated urine. So how early can pregnancy be detected depends on the urine concentration and the quality of the early positive pregnancy test. If you drink a lot of fluid, the urine may be too diluted early on in pregnancy to achieve an hCG concentration adequate enough for a positive test.

4. Sensitivity of the Early Urine Home Pregnancy Test
    Different pregnancy tests have different sensitivities and that has an impact on how early can pregnancy be detected. The lower the sensitivity, the earlier a pregnancy test becomes positive. Sensitivities are indicated in mIU/mL, the lowest amount of hCG in the urine that tests positive. A sensitivity of 20 mIU/mL requires one-half the hCG level to be positive when compared with a 40 mIU/mL sensitivity level, and it may become positive several days earlier than the pregnancy test with a higher sensitivity. Make sure you read the package of the pregnancy test to determine your pregnancy test's sensitivity.
    EPT can lie or False Positive. The Sex cannot Lie, Protect your Possible Child .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little View Post
    Slightly off-topic: that is some RUDE, uncalled-for gossip from your other coworkers. If I were in her boots, I'd be chatting up HR about it real quick.
    Just to clarify, we were in an open discussion about it at the time when she told us and it was more of a "maybe you were pregnant before the wedding" and she just looked like "oh...I hope not" (not that it matters anymore, but its important to some people). It's not really "gossip" like what you're thinking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGirl View Post

What I could look up Liz..

And this did Not Sound Anything like my Old " Sex " Classes from the 1970's. lol And we had to " Kill Rabbit eggs back then " But we ate the Jack Rabbits/ Males .

EPT can lie or False Positive. The Sex cannot Lie, Protect your Possible Child .

Technically, she was 2 days late of her period and she has a normal 40 day cycle, so I think in her case, she might know that soon. IDK, I was just curious

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

Maybe this has something to do with the old saying: "The first one can come anytime; after that, it takes nine months."
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Patrick Henry