Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is chivalry in an relationship to you?

Junior Member Array

Default How important is chivalry in an relationship to you?

"Chivalry" is a term related to the medieval institution of knighthood. It is usually associated with ideals of knightly virtues, honor and courtly love. With the tradition of the chivalric "knight in shining armor" traced back to the Arabs, with notable pre-Islamic figures like the Bedouin knight Antar The Lion.

I, myself am one that have not forgotten the true meaning of chivalry and courtesy. In the old days it meant the knight was to be gracious and gentle to all noble ladies. Today, it is interpreted as a courteous behavior, especially towards all women.

Do you still believe in the ideals of chivalry in an relationship? Or, do you think chivalry is demeaning and condescending?

Banned from WH Array

neither. since i dont see any knights running around on horseback when i look out my window,i assume chivalry is pretty much forgotten. these days women are alot more independant.i dont expect a man to open a door for me just because he is a man,and i am a woman. if i had my arms full of books,it would be a nice gesture,but only because my hands are full,not because of chivalry.i think courtesy should be extended to everyone,regardless of sex.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gracious behavior and good manners never go out of style. I appreciate a man who open doors and offers a hand and I make a point to always say thank you when anyone does so. People need to be appreciated and men an opportunity to use their strength in a positive way.

Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array ThexMrs's Avatar

WC couldn't have said it better. It's great to have but I don't expect it however I would never date someone who was rude either. I also agree with KFK that it should be extended to everyone not just gender based.
    "All the beats and melodies keep realities at bay but what happens when the records done and starts to fade away? Alone within myself again, I try to veil away my pain. The dirty grey surrounding me 'round..... And now I hear no sound."

Junior Member Array

In this day and age I can't say I've come to expect it. But it sure is appreciated and most definitely noticed. It's that one little thing someone does that makes me smile.

I can't say I've ever had to open a door since I've been with my current partner.

Sadly, I think chivalry is a lost art. Many men forget it ever existed and many women are too blind to realize it when they see it.

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

I didn't know chivalry exsisted until meeting my boyfriend and now I am appreciatively spoiled to it.

He opens all doors, he carries all bags, he stands when I get up at restaurants, he holds my hand everytime I reach for it if he doesn't reach for it first, he makes sure I am warm, covers me with blankets, offers me his coat, always makes sure I've had something to eat or drink, comforts me when I am sad, kisses my hand...

He is a true gentleman in a way I've only ever seen in movies. He makes me feel special and loved. He never ogles women in my presense, he never shouts out who's hot on the tv or movies, he compliments my appearance, always tells me how good I smell, how pretty I look and how hot I am dressed

He's not one of those gross burpy guys, always says please and thank you. Even after all this time together he has not gotten lax on any of it, its just his nature... and the way he was raised. I am a very lucky girl.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Banned from WH Array

Quote Originally Posted by totallyconfused View Post
    In this day and age I can't say I've come to expect it. But it sure is appreciated and most definitely noticed. It's that one little thing someone does that makes me smile.

I can't say I've ever had to open a door since I've been with my current partner.

Sadly, I think chivalry is a lost art. Many men forget it ever existed and many women are too blind to realize it when they see it.
    In addition to lazy/clueless men, I daresay the women's movement has something to do with the downfall of chivalric efforts.

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

True, I've talked with men about this and they've said they are almost scared to hold a door or such because they've been castigated for it by some idiot. I point out that people with limited thinking shouldn't set out standards for us.

Veteran Member (800+ posts & member 1 year+) Array Ahryin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildChild View Post
    True, I've talked with men about this and they've said they are almost scared to hold a door or such because they've been castigated for it by some idiot. I point out that people with limited thinking shouldn't set out standards for us.
    I couldn't agree more!

I love when men open doors for me I even do the classic "Bronx Tale" cross over to unlock the door and open it for them...yep I'mma Keeper..lol
    It's important that a man is a gentleman aka Chivalry it shows he values you and appreciates you just being a woman.

I don't understand how women can't get that they can be strong and independant and still be a WOMAN. Allowing a man to open a door for you or move your seat so you can sit down offer you his coat when its cold or kiss your hand does not make you weak it means he appreciates your womanhood. To me it shows a sign of respect!
    Everything I'm not makes me Everything I am

WH Super Moderator Array Hopeless Dork's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ahryin View Post
    I couldn't agree more!

I don't understand how women can't get that they can be strong and independant and still be a WOMAN. !
    So true, Ahryin. It fills a need in me to be taken care of sometimes, so I imagine it fills a need in some guys to take care of someone.

I also love taking care of him too, we each have our different ways to make each other feel special. I am strong and independent (I had to think of that song that spells that word in order to spell that though lol) in many ways, but I am not too proud to admit I need him when I do.
    Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast