Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does my friend guy refer to me as 'boo'?

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array collegegirl2010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Why does my friend guy refer to me as 'boo'?

He always refers to me as boo, and i dont want to get the wrong interpetation. for example, the other day we were texting each other and I said 'I miss u' then he texted back ' I miss u too boo.' and another time we were texting and I asked how he was and he said 'Fine and u boo?' Is he trying to make me feel special like I'm his girlfriend, because I told him I like him and he confirmed that he wasn't ready for a relationship yet? Or is he doing this just to be friendly?

I don't know what to think, but when I told him I liked him he said he wasn't ready for a relationship but the thought of me and him together has been on his mind...So I'm guessing that means he likes me.

I'm not sure, he really confuses me...

APRIL 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH Array ItsASecret's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could easily be because he wants to treat you special because your a friend. A lot of guys, keep in mind young guys, will say "hey babe whats up", "how you doing girl?" or other words that you would think belong in a relationship but it is merely because they are good friends with that individual and want to use different word around them. Or he could be interested, but you would not know that unless you ask him how he feels about you. I would not over analyze things guys say, sometimes they just want to say nice things.
    There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

July 2011 Poster of the Month Array kristalyn_04's Avatar

It could mean he's starting to like you, maybe he's confused, or it could be just a cute nickname between friends. I have a handful of guy friends that call me pet names sometimes, and I have pet names for some of them too, but it doesn't mean anything and we have an unspoken understanding of that. There is a different sort of dynamic between friends of the opposite sex; for example a guy wouldn't necessarily treat a female friend quite the same as he would treat a male friend. But it doesn't necessarily mean there are romantic feelings there, it's just the dynamics are a bit different. The only way to know for sure is to muster up the courage to ask him.
    How can you see where you're going if you spend your whole life looking over your shoulder? –Naughty Ninja

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ItsASecret View Post
    Could easily be because he wants to treat you special because your a friend. A lot of guys, keep in mind young guys, will say "hey babe whats up", "how you doing girl?" or other words that you would think belong in a relationship but it is merely because they are good friends with that individual and want to use different word around them. Or he could be interested, but you would not know that unless you ask him how he feels about you. I would not over analyze things guys say, sometimes they just want to say nice things.
    Thanks! and I'll try to ask him, been wanting to ask him how he feels about me but the thought of it kind of scares me, and I feel I may scare him away...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kristalyn04 View Post
    It could mean he's starting to like you, maybe he's confused, or it could be just a cute nickname between friends. I have a handful of guy friends that call me pet names sometimes, and I have pet names for some of them too, but it doesn't mean anything and we have an unspoken understanding of that. There is a different sort of dynamic between friends of the opposite sex; for example a guy wouldn't necessarily treat a female friend quite the same as he would treat a male friend. But it doesn't necessarily mean there are romantic feelings there, it's just the dynamics are a bit different. The only way to know for sure is to muster up the courage to ask him.
    Thanks for your reply! And he seems to have a lot going on, and I notice he treats me different from his other female friends, he makes me feel special sometimes...but idk, maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

Banned from WH Array

Gosh, I have been and still are called Nicknames or Endearments , by Friends, Family & Customers.
    Anything from the Regular " Doll/ Darling, Babe/ Baby, Toot's ,Sweetie/ Sweetheart, Girlfriend, Honey, Sugar/Shugah..
    The List goes on..

Maybe sometime Text him back and say Hey ya " Boo Boo" , see if he reacts or asks you why you call him that ? Then just say ...You thought since he called you " Boo" and he's a Friend and Special, That the Nic " Boo Boo" meant he was your Special friend too ..

As Long as the " Boo" isn't short for " BOOTY Call " you should be Ok ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HisBabyGirl View Post

Gosh, I have been and still are called Nicknames or Endearments , by Friends, Family & Customers.
    Anything from the Regular " Doll/ Darling, Babe/ Baby, Toot's ,Sweetie/ Sweetheart, Girlfriend, Honey, Sugar/Shugah..
    The List goes on..

Maybe sometime Text him back and say Hey ya " Boo Boo" , see if he reacts or asks you why you call him that ? Then just say ...You thought since he called you " Boo" and he's a Friend and Special, That the Nic " Boo Boo" meant he was your Special friend too ..

As Long as the " Boo" isn't short for " BOOTY Call " you should be Ok ..

Thanks, and it isn't...we've never had sex(I'm a virgin, and he knows I'd never have sex with a guy unless I knew for sure he cared about me), and he actually respects me a lot better than he does other females...So Idk, I'm just confused right now.

jns
    Triple Diamond Member (3,000+ posts & member 3 years+) Array jns's Avatar

The Urban Dictionary, Yahoo! answers and Wiktionary all define it as a girlfriend or a boyfriend. So I would say that he already considers you a girlfriend. Welcome to the wonderful world of relationships.

TEAM ADMIN Array CHANDLERS WISH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tell him if he calls you boo one more time, your going to have to ask him to change it to girlfriend

It's an open ended comment that you can laugh at if he backs off, because to me, JNS is correct, boo means "mine"... my lady... not sure about the Urban Dictionary's version ... But, it's certainly an ownership in my opinion....

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Where i am from that means friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast