Forum:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good 'cures' for tooth pain?

Junior Member Array

Default Any good 'cures' for tooth pain?

So in one of my teeth the nerve is dying and I'm getting that fixed it about a week, but the pain is near unbearable. I've tried taking paracetamol and ibuprofen but then don't do anything. Any other things you can suggest? Natural or not, just anything really. Thanks

Silver Contributor 100+ Posts Array Kallygirlie's Avatar

3 words.......WARM SALT WATER!!!! I know its nasty but it works so well. I have a genetic gum disease that causes my teeth to become really weak. They break and chip like crazy, if its not fixed it decays and the nerve dies. Salt water is my best friend. Just yesterday one of my biggest problem tooths that i need a root canal on decided to flare up again. Started swelling and getting down right painful. swished warm salt water and within an hr the pain left and the swelling went down.

This doesn't always work at first but you need to rinse with Salt water at least once an hr and you'll start feeling the difference. My dentist keeps me supplied with pain killers. If you cant find relief in salt water, call your dentist and let them know the pain you are in. they can call you in a pain killer perscription since they already know of the issue.
    Krystal

Take some extra Tylenol. Three capsules instead of two. I have horrible teeth. Ive had two root canals and about 12 cavaties filled and Im only fourteen! Theres not much you can do. There is some over-the-counter pain reliever for that type of stuff, also.

Junior Member Array

gonna have to second the warm salt water, really got me through the 2 weeks before i got mine pulled

WH Super Moderator Array caterpillar79's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yup, warm salt water does it. I also found keeping milk in the mouth for a few minutes helps.
    What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility. - Leo Tolstoy

The clearest explanation for failure of any marriage is that two people are incompatible; that is, one is male and the other female. - Anna Quindlen

Register! | Rules/FAQ |Contact Mod| Contact Admin

WH Moderator - JUNE 2011 POSTER OF THE MONTH- Array KMonte85's Avatar

warm saltwater washes work quite well..

another things that I use quite often for my sore wisdom teeth (I know, I know.. I should just get them removed...) is teabags. If you put a damp teabag (lipton or whatever.. I use chamomile) on the tooth and gum that is sore it will help to relieve the pain. It has something to do w/ the tannic acid in the tea, has like a numbing effect. All the ibuprofen in the world does not help me when one of my wisdom teeth gets an infection, but the teabag trick works every time!
    Most of the shadows of this life are caused by our standing in our own sunshine.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

WH Head Moderator Array WildChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Clove or head to the baby aisle and get some of the ointment for teething pain?
    We can only learn to love by loving. - Iris Mudoch, British writer

Junior Member Array

I agree with Kallygirlie, warn salt water is very good for teeth.
    Also brush it and do listering help.

Wish you good luck with fixing, I'm afraid most tendists!!

You might be getting an infection if you don't have it...Has the dentist prescribed any antibiotics to help with that toothache? (infection causes pain) Maybe you should ask for some stronger pain med in the mean time? I'm wondering how come they haven't relieved the tooth by doing a treatment called "open &med" that's when they enter the canal remove the nerve give you some meds and antibiotics in the mean time? Normally if your in pain the office has 24 hours to get you in to treat the tooth for relief. I know this b/c I'm a dental assistant and treatment coordinator...

I went looking for random cures and old wives tales online recently and I tried all sorts of wierd things.

**Warm saltwater is good like everyone else says. It what my mother always tells me to use, but I cant stand the salt water in my mouth. It makes me sick

**Clove or "Eugenol" as it is called on the bottle works wonders, but beware. It tastes AWFUL! you can always drink something after, and it goes away. I find it more stomachable than the salt water. I'm sure you can buy it other ways, but over the counter they sell it in the tooth care aisles as "Red Cross". They usually carry it at places like CVS and Walgreens.

**I read somewhere to swish some warm Coca Cola in your mouth and it will help.. something about the coke syrup. It worked when I had a cavity, It has not helped with my wisdom teeth coming in though.

**Also, very random. I was told to put peanut butter on the affected tooth, and I still think its weird but it actually worked, again though, this was for a cavity issue, It hasnt helped with the wisdom teeth pain.

**REAL vanilla extract. It has to do with the alchohol content and it helps with the pain.

**I googled for awhile and read alot or articles when I was having such severe pain I almost went to the ER. The stuff, above I mentioned are just things that I tried that worked.

Hope I helped someone out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast