Forum:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Since when is a size 12 overweight?

Default Since when is a size 12 overweight?

I am 5'3 inches, top heavy (size 38D or DD)...my hips are waist are about a 38 and I weight 165 lbs. Yes, granted, I could stand to lose weight, but who couldn't? How I view myself is stictly based on how society views women. Society has a different view on beautiful; beauty is tall, skinny with no curves. Not only is this depicted on commercials, but also in the clothes that they put out. It is very hard for me to buy clothes because the styles now compliment low riders, no butts, waist or breasts. I tried on a bathing suit and had to wear a size 18W just to fit "my twins" in the cups!

As an Black woman, I am considered "thick" curvy...yes, I have a slight stomach (2 kids helped contribute to that). I am sexy, mentally and physically, yet it is hard for me to perceive myself that way when I exercise constantly with no results, when I try on clothes that I know should fit and they don't or when I look in the mirror and don't see the person that I used to be.

I am married and my husband says he loves my body...but I think he has to say that...more like an obligation...if he said he didn't like it, it would be like a slap in the face to him, because he is still with me. And I have other men that look at me and give me compliments, about my body, yet, because of my self esteem, I feel like they are not being truthful or they just are trying to f**ck me. What can women do to increase our self image? It's hard to feel sexy when you see other images that go against what you see in yourself. Exercising only helps for awhile, until you don't see results......i have a closet full of clothes that hide and accentuate what I want(and that helps, but I don't want to go broke.....
    Last edited by reesecup; 02-10-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: had more to say....

WH Super Moderator Array patricias213's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i totally understand what you are saying reesecup. i was watching the tyra banks show the other day and it was about people and they weight, one lady thats 27 years old weighed 97 pounds and she wanted to killed her self when she weighed 104, i think this is so absurd. Now a days people want to be skinny at a point where there bones show and that is "looking good for them". i think they are setting a bad example for the young people that are growing up and there kids too. i am a bit over weight for my height too and i will like to lose those extra pounds but i also want to be healthy and have curves. from what i've seen on the tyra banks show, most of the people just wanna look really skinny wether they are healthy or not.

Junior Member Array

I hear ya, I am a size 18 and would kill to be slim again and that for me is a size 12. Everyone is different, but the way things are going what with size 0 and less being the desirable result to dieting...well that's just wrong!! Doesn't anyone love curves anymore?? I hate watching all those red carpet walks where all the ladies arms look like sticks. Healthy women have some meat on them. Heck, if one of those stick people were to get cancer, they'd waste away in a matter of weeks and never survive.

Junior Member Array

I was having this same conversation with a few friends over coffee the other day, I'm 5'0 weight 160 lbs and wear size 9 pants and Im top heavy as well (36D) so I have to but size 14 tops if they have them that big, most places have xs, s ,m, l and the large is more like a small but I could stand to loose 25 to 30 lbs back to a size 5 and still have the curves being as short as I am 120 lbs and they say Im overweight. in the eyes of most people if you are 20 lbs overweight you are considered obese becuase everyone sees these actress and models on TV and thinks thats how we should all look.

VIP Member Array

I'm 5'3" and in a size 10-12 after having four kids. I am definitely over weight. I think it depends on your body frame as well as height. I was always very thin, so the extra weight looks horrible on me. I was a size 1 when I got married and a 6 after my first three kids. The baby is only 9 months, but I need to lose the weight. I'm sure my beliefs have been shaped by media images. If I lived in the 1500's I'd be HOT!

Junior Member Array cafe.au.lait's Avatar

I think it does depend on body type... I am 5'3 and wear size 10-12 and not overweight. Just a little extra here or there. I also have a larger bustline and I have a butt and hips, so I know what you mean about it being hard to shop. I can't wear the lowrider jeans, and lots of tops seem made for women with no breasts at all!!! If I wear them I look like a floozy wth my cleavage hanging out.
    I also get a lot of looks from men, and my husband says I look good, but I still feel "fat." And I do think it's mostly due to the media. Still.... I know I could lose a few pounds for ME since it's what I want.
    I also find it ridiculous that a size 10 or 12 is considering PLUS size. That is crazy. Since I would say the average woman nowadays is in that size range, how can it be considered plus or over the average?? I don't think I am a plus size but when I see so-called "plus" models on TV they look my size. Crazy.

I'm size 16 I cant not wear most of the cloths in the womens shirts my shoulders are too wide and upper body too long Its annoying to look for pretty clothes!

They need to realize most of us women are not petite now a days of seems like guys just want trophy wives and not someone that would be able to bear your children and not break or die lol

You should feel beautiful and to have a husband that tells you your beautiful is something to feel good about. Think about it. He tells you your beautiful and had children with you? he obviously loves you and knows your a beautiful person inside and out

March 2007 "Poster of the Month" Array tinkerbell21's Avatar

Smile

i love my curves, yes I am working hard to lose weight but not to be stick thin but to be heathy and to show off my curves without the belly lol. I'm a 16 now but when i started to lose weight i was a large 18 to a 20 but i am so happy just to be able to fit into a small 18 and 16's cause we all know that not all pants sizes are actually the same size i can go from store to store looking for a pair of pants that would fit and i still have to try on three different pants just to find out which one is the right size. so if size twelve is plus size then i cant wait to get there. atleast with a size twelve you can get pants at american eagle or Holisters. i cant even walk into those stores right now without the clerks looking at me like i am a whale or something.
    i want to be skinnier but not skinny. there is a difference.

Well I'm about a size 12 and about 5' 4 1/4" so to society I am considered overweight which I feel like I'm not really over weight but of course like most women I would love to loose some weight. I was literally size 0-1 for a very long time in my life and H#**L NO I would never want to be that size again but I would love to loose just really my stomach and nothing else because I am very comfortable with just about the rest of me. My boyfriend tells me all the time that I am alright would I leave him alone about what he thinks but then too sometimes he jokes and says if I get to big he would leave me(that hurts) but all and all I don't feel like I should be considered overweight just because other people are rail thin and could use a few good meals and pounds
    Life's experiences are a powerful thing

toosexytobesmall.com

July 2007 "Poster of the Month" Array louieann34's Avatar

Hi Ladies,

If you really want to lose weight, all you need to do is just engage yourself in some exercise....Have a balance diet...And always remember to never skip a meal every day, for if you do that your body will crave for more food....With an addition of a determination to reach a certain goal...Nothing is impossible.

Good Luck!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast