• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna curls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanna curls

Hello, ladies! How do you get curls? Some hair rollers, curling irons or flat irons, twisting the hair?
    I would like to make it fast and want hair looks tidy. What's your experience in it?
    hair rollers
    50.00%
    curling iron
    50.00%
    flat iron
    0%
    twisting the hair
    0%

I always used a curling iron. My hair doesn't curl easily so, I need the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      I always used a curling iron. My hair doesn't curl easily so, I need the heat.
      Is your hair very thick? What curling iron do you have?

Comment

My hair is moderately thick but fine. I use a higher heat iron (don't know the brand name) that I got from the beauty supply store, on my stylists recommendation.
        I keep my hair well trimmed as well.

I start with a touch of mousse or something to help hold. I use a higher heat, but I don't leave in place. I roll and release, and really don't keep it on the hair long at all.
        Your stylist should be your best resource for recommendations. They know your hair best and if they're knowledgeable and professional, they can give you a step by step process for the look you are going for. Take a picture and ask them to style it, and show you each step.

My hair is short now so I rarely curl it. It was very long and I curled it a lot. If you have longer hair it is also much more difficult to get the look you're probably going for.

Comment

My hair is moderately thick but fine. I use a higher heat iron (don't know the brand name) that I got from the beauty supply store, on my stylists recommendation.
          I keep my hair well trimmed as well.

I start with a touch of mousse or something to help hold. I use a higher heat, but I don't leave in place. I roll and release, and really don't keep it on the hair long at all.
          Your stylist should be your best resource for recommendations. They know your hair best and if they're knowledgeable and professional, they can give you a step by step process for the look you are going for. Take a picture and ask them to style it, and show you each step.

My hair is short now so I rarely curl it. It was very long and I curled it a lot. If you have longer hair it is also much more difficult to get the look you're probably going for.
          Thank you for reply! I would like to follow your recommendation, but I don't have a stylist. I've always had long hair, so I usually correct only a bit of length. That's why I am searching info on forums and different sites. For example, after your first reply, I found this review of curling irons. But I would also like to hear another opinions here, at first.
          And how long do you go to the stylist? Does it worth it?
          Last edited by AmberLarson; 11-06-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I removed the link, as those are not allowed.

Comment

I removed the link, as those are not allowed.
              Ok But you haven't answered on my question about stylist

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLarson View Post
                And how long do you go to the stylist? Does it worth it?
                not worth it for me
                I cut my hair; haven't had a "professional" haircut in about 6 years, and only went for special occasions before that

don't like scents, so going to a beauty salon with the sprays in the air is something for me to avoid

btw, I've had strangers say they like my hair, so guess I'm doing alright

Welcome to WH, Amber!
                Last edited by amy40; 11-02-2017, 08:27 AM. Reason: welcome

Comment

How long do I go to the stylist? Do you mean how long does it take there or how long have I been going?
                  And yes I find it's worth it for me. I enjoy the time and like how I look and feel with a fresh trim or highlight.

Comment

. I enjoy the time and like how I look and feel with a fresh trim or highlight.
                    wish I could enjoy it but it goes back to HS when my mom forced me to get my hair done for a school dance
                    I didn't look like myself, hated it, and just have never enjoyed getting my hair done
                    plus scented hairsprays, anything with scent bothers me

but I've learned to put some layers in my hair especially around my face to give me a look I like
                    and have scissors I use only on my hair

Comment

told our kid that I was thinking of putting some purple color on my hair (friend of mine did it)
                      "no way" was response so I guess would embarass our kid

but I just might sometime as the purples I looked at are temporary anyway til washed out

Comment

How long do I go to the stylist? Do you mean how long does it take there or how long have I been going?
                        And yes I find it's worth it for me. I enjoy the time and like how I look and feel with a fresh trim or highlight.
                        I meant, how long you have been going.
                        And do you see the difference? I mean you hair before your first visit to the stylist and after.

Comment

Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                          told our kid that I was thinking of putting some purple color on my hair (friend of mine did it)
                          "no way" was response so I guess would embarass our kid

but I just might sometime as the purples I looked at are temporary anyway til washed out
                          Wow! purple :O You are courageous. As for me I am not ready for such kind of experiments. I am afraid of people's opinions. I know it's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLarson View Post
                            I am afraid of people's opinions. I know it's not right.
                            I was the same way in my 20's but as one gets older, other's opinions of you matter less

are you asking for opinions because you are a hair stylist?
                            are you working as one now?

Comment

I have been going to a professional, off and on, since my 20's, so around 20 years. I have gone through many styles and stylists in those years, and some better than others. I have tried some home color and highlighting, but I always wind up back with a pro stylist. There is nothing to substitute for what they can do, and I always think anything less than a good cut is just looking silly for me. I am currently coloring it myself, no highlights. But I used the color recommended and techniques encouraged by my stylist. I trust her.

The thing is, a good stylist that gets to know you and looks at you as a whole, will help you achieve the look you want. I've been with my current girl for about 3 yrs.

When I was in college, and had more limited funds, I went to a beauty school occasionally. I only had 1 bad experience there, but the instructor stepped in to correct what the student messed up and I wound up being thrilled with the service.

Maybe I am unusual or spoiled. I guess I thought everyone had regular cuts and trims, and a regular barber or stylist they went to.

Comment

Working...
                              X