the great swimwear disaster of 2015

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the great swimwear disaster of 2015

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• the great swimwear disaster of 2015

Hullo chaps!

I just found that my trusty swimsuit has decided to give up the ghost, elastic-wise and my only bikini now seems a bit dangerously erm undersized for if I actually wanted to swim. So now I have the unenviable task of getting a new swimming outfit.

I'd love to hear your inputs on this, as I'm a bit stuck. I'd rather have something black, or mainly black (though woukd accept purple or green) and I don't want something totally skimpy. That said I don't want to look like a total frump, so something With a bit of style would be great. I did find find a great swimsuit and bikini from Biba but of course, they are last season and no-one has any anymore. Deep sadness ensues....
    I was thinking something like a playsuit type of thing...Darn, can't work out how to put a picture in...well I mean halter neck with boyleg one piece.

FYI my body shape is a slim hourglass, so I don't want too much fuss or detail on the buSt. I want the outfit for swimming a bit and mooching around a bit too.

All ideas appreciated!!
    “...choose to believe in your own myth
    your own glamour
    your own spell
    a young woman who does this
    (even if she is just pretending)
    has everything....”
    ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

• I really like Victoria's Secret swimwear. I haven't bought from there for a couple years but they hold up very well, and there are some styles that are not as skimpy as you'd think. Online ordering is the drawback.

I'd encourage you to just bite the bullet, commit a few hours and hit the stores to try things on.
    I like 2 piece suits, but I do have a one piece also. If you want a one piece, I like the sort of classic, "triangle top" or tank style that cinches in at the waist and usually gives good coverage on bottom.

I have seen some nice ones in that halter style you mention, but I think I'd feel a little over dressed in that, especially with the boy shorts on bottom.

If you're slim, but not a stick, you have some curves, then there are probably not many styles that wouldn't be flattering for you, that you'd be comfortable in.

Comment

• For me, the key to a good swimsuit is getting one that has a bra size. I usually buy from biggerbra or figleaves. Freya is my favorite brand. Also, don't skimps on the price. Cheap suits don't have the same hold. They get saggy in the water. If you are fairy large breasted, don't get the halter style that seems to be super popular. They look really nice but hurt your next holding those boobs up.

If you want something that makes you butt look a little bigger, try something with a frill. Not the long frills that women who like to cover up wear, but the short frills (4 inches long).

If you want to be a little more conservative with the bikini, the high waist (from the 60s) are coming back.

You can't go wrong with black.
      Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• phone about to die so proper reply tomorrow.
        Thanks both, I'm a b or c cup, so not exactly big busted! I'm more concerned about fuss at the buSt making me look smaller there or like I'm trying to compensate :/ My butt requires no additional enhancement! I guess the issue is that I don't want to look flat, but also not ridiculously padded or something! I think that larger breasted women look incredibly feminine in swimsuits. I just tend to look athletic... Aah 2% battery...Ciao!!
        your own glamour
        your own spell
        has everything....”

Comment

• aatskitty - i looked at victoria's secrets but i cant get their stuff in the UK as far as i can see boo. WHat do you mean by tank style - you mean with a square neckline?

DreamP - I do have to admit that even I (with my smallish chest) find a triangle bikini to uncomfortable on my neck (probably because mine is one of those string efforts so it almost cuts into me :S)

so here are the types of suit I was thinking of:

though I an only find one that's in my size ( the one from Seafolly - the right picture!) and its really expensive (converts to $150)

Also I love this bikini from french connection, and the one from Biba - both discontinued . poop!!)

Why can i only find what I want once it has already been sold out? NO FAIR!!!!

btw very interested to hear if you guys think these styles will suit my body type, or if they will look bad. I REALLY don't want to go trying on a ton of swimsuits, I know how depressing that will be! they'll mostly look dreadful, and I'll come home empty handed, so maybe if I just order over the internet if it's acceptable but not perfect I'll more likely stick with it so at least I'd have SOMETHING!
          your own glamour
          your own spell
          has everything....”

Comment

• I would suggest you get neither of these "top half" styles if you know that the triangle top hurts around the neck. I think all these will have the same effect. Those halters can be uncomfortable if too tightly tied, but not give support if you loosen. Have you worn the halter style before?

What I mean by tank; basically is any of the same styles here except the straps go over the shoulders and attach to a strap going across the chest, rather than around the neck. Much like your bra might do, and the same position as a dress with spaghetti straps, but not so narrow obviously. That won't put the weight on your neck to bear. Otherwise I think these styles are fairly simple, and flatter most shapes.

Comment

• And btw, is your goal really just to have something? Or have something you feel great wearing?

It's worth the investment of a couple hours to go try on to find what makes you feel good to wear.

Or, when I was in school and didn't have those hours to spare during open business time at my favorite stores, I would order several styles from a catalog (didn't have online shopping back then!), try them on at home and return what didn't work.

It's worth the extra effort to find what makes you feel good. Especially something so revealing as a swimsuit. You don't wanna be poolside or on the beach fidgeting with the strap, or a cheek that won't stay where it belongs if you are the sort of person who'd be bothered by that! Lol

Comment

• atskitty you are such a smart cookie I think you have saved me quite a bit of trauma! of course I want to feel great and confident, so I'll go and try on some maybe next week and will look more towards the tank style as although halter ones LOOK super-cute, I guess they must be fairly awkward to actually SWIM in, though if you are lying on the beach i'm sure they are just fine :P

I've only ever had tank style one piece swimsuits and one bikini that is a halter (but uncomfortable) and one that was more like a bra.

Oh god! a cheek or boob that won't stay in place - how dreadful! arrgh! I don't want that!! I need all my attention to keep myself afloat!

OK I'll go out into the real world and report back Thanks again my dear your input was really helpful (and yours DreamP)
                your own glamour
                your own spell
                has everything....”

Comment

• And...If I may encourage you even further...don't hesitate to move around in the suit when you try on, just as you would normally. I stroll the length of the dressing rooms to see how well things stay in place because I tend to walk the beach for hours & I want an idea of how it may hold up with repetitive motion. Bend, twist...
                  And no, I'm not having a quiet laugh to myself imaging you embarrassed in front of the ladies in the fitting rooms with you either I do this myself

Once you have a style and cut that works, you can order online more confidently.

Comment

• I agree Calibri with Kitty the first two swim suits would be out for my wife as well. For her if swimming she will wear a very nice one piece swim suit. But if she going to just lay out by the pool. She will wear a nice two piece bikini as she is a D cup. But like Kitty most of her purchase of swim wear is through Victoria Sercet as well. The wife already gotten her new summer wear already. For our trip for late June early July to Hawaii I can't wait lol.
                    When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• These are the two Victoria Secret swim suits for there 2015 summer line my wife just received last week. Let's just say she looks really good in them lol.
                        I can't wait for are trip to Hawaii in late June & early July. So I can see her more in them lol.
                        When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Originally posted by calibri~ View Post
                          aatskitty - i looked at victoria's secrets but i cant get their stuff in the UK as far as i can see boo. WHat do you mean by tank style - you mean with a square neckline?

DreamP - I do have to admit that even I (with my smallish chest) find a triangle bikini to uncomfortable on my neck (probably because mine is one of those string efforts so it almost cuts into me :S)

so here are the types of suit I was thinking of:

though I an only find one that's in my size ( the one from Seafolly - the right picture!) and its really expensive (converts to $150)

Also I love this bikini from french connection, and the one from Biba - both discontinued . poop!!)

Why can i only find what I want once it has already been sold out? NO FAIR!!!!

btw very interested to hear if you guys think these styles will suit my body type, or if they will look bad. I REALLY don't want to go trying on a ton of swimsuits, I know how depressing that will be! they'll mostly look dreadful, and I'll come home empty handed, so maybe if I just order over the internet if it's acceptable but not perfect I'll more likely stick with it so at least I'd have SOMETHING!
                          The bottom two bikini's not bad at all. I can image you looking very nice in these two bikini no problem there. They are for sure heads and tails better then the top two they seem something from the 1950 or 60's lol.

Comment

• Motorguy, thanks for your input.

I'll bet your Donna looks totally hot in both of her suits

I actually really like the retro style suits so that was Intentional!

I would find both of her choices a bit painful on my neck, and the white one would look unthinkably dreadful on me.
                            your own glamour
                            your own spell
                            has everything....”

Comment

• Oh and kitty. I think hell will freeze over before I go strolling around the shop in a swimsuit! I'll do some wriggling around in the cubicle though!
                              your own glamour
                              your own spell
                              has everything....”

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X