Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sizing of clothes changing?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Sizing of clothes changing?

I went looking for short pyjamas a bit ago. I didn't check the women's as most of them were vests and really short shorts, and I was after a t shirt top and short bottoms pyjamas. I tried looking in the kids ones (as kids seem to have prettier clothes at times), and I checked in the girls and in the boys for the bigger sizes, as sometimes I can fit into 15-16 years kids clothes, and I couldn't find any that big. I was told what was originally a "big boys" (15-16 years) is now a "small mans" (Extra small, XS), and what was originally a "big girls" is now a small woman's size six! Is this true?

Also I saw a t shirt I liked and then largest size they had it in was a size 8. Holding it up, it did look as if it would fit (even though I'm now a 12 or an S in clothes size), and when I tried it on, it did. I checked the label incase it was on the wrong hanger in the shop, but it definitely said size 8.
    Another time, I tried on some jelly sandals. I picked out the size I needed, a 6, and it was way too big, so I needed a 5.
    So are sizes changing?

• Are you in the US?
    I don't typically shop in the kid's dept & i know nobody working in retail currently, so I don't know.

Why not Google it?

Comment

• Vanity sizing had been going on for ages. Clothing of size X is getting bigger, so that the consumer feels good about fitting into a smaller "size". I'm sure I'd need a size 10 in a vintage dress, but I'm 8 or 6 in current shops.

As for shoe sizing...that's a bit odd. There's less stigma about having big feet than a big body. There is always variation between brands though, I'm anything from 5.5 to 7!
      “...choose to believe in your own myth
      your own glamour
      your own spell
      a young woman who does this
      (even if she is just pretending)
      has everything....”
      ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• Atskitty2, I'm in the UK, but I do know US and UK sizing is different, like an 8 in the US is a 12 in the UK. I only look in kids clothes if I see something I like (like something on the front of a top, or the colour/pattern of something). The smallest size I have seen in shops that isn't kids is size 6 and the largest size I have seen is size 20.
        Calibri~, I agree on the shoe sizing being odd. I tried a 6 because that's what I had before in trainers, but when I got it on it was clearly too big, so I had a 5 instead. The t shirt was odd too, what confused me is that size 8 is two sizes smaller than I'd need, yet when I got the t shirt on, it fit ok.

Comment

• Calibri, I agree with you mostly about the vanity sizing, but here in the States it seems to be going both ways, according to whom the clothing is marketed to. My friends & my sister in law were ranting awhile back about the clothing for their daughters, at the most popular teen & pre-teen stores. They all said the sizing there was much smaller than it should be, making their girls think they're too fat. I do remember my niece complaining she needs to lose weight because she was into a size L (Large) at ______. When she showed me the t-shirt, it looked as tho' it were made for a small child, quite honestly, not a 13 yr old girl. The parents were claiming conspiracy against little girls, these large evil companies attempting to make our young ladies feel bad about themselves....
          I don't know about all that, but I know how my niece was influenced by that, almost traumatized by it, and how normal & healthy her body is for her age.

Basically, different patterns are used, and different sizing methods/charts. No two designers fit the same, and not all one designer's styles will fit the same either, in the same size.

Anyway...I do think my feet are getting smaller. YES, they are! I was a size 10 in high school, and I'm in an 8 now...usually.

Comment

• Yep Im also in the UK. Weirdly, sometimes an 8 is too small in one brand and sometimes a 6 is too big In another. I can also squeeze into kids tshirts sometimes to, but although the length is OK, my neck and arms are not childlike proportionately proportionately! Some shops on UK do stock a size 4 but I cant remember which ones. Anyway it's totally silly because we should be able to just know what size we are, pick up that size and have it fit. None of this faffing with other sizes. Grrrr.

Kitty, that's awful about teens clothing in the states...Just dreadful for the self esteem of young women.
            your own glamour
            your own spell
            has everything....”

Comment

• Oh my mum used to wear a size 12 in marks and Spencer, hasn't changed her body too much but still buys a 12 because that's "her size" what she refuses to realise is that she will now fit into a 10 or 8 and it won't be stupidly baggy on her. Sigh.
              your own glamour
              your own spell
              has everything....”

Comment

• It makes sense... The kids these days really don't wanna wear kids' clothes anymore when they're 15.

Comment

• I have found out in some places they still do do 15-16 years in clothes. But I still have to try a lot of clothes on to see if they'd fit or if I'd need a size bigger/smaller, so I agree with Calibri~, you should be able to pick it a size that you know you are and it fit.

Pearlami, I get what you mean, but in a way I think it's silly because you do get kids who are younger, but big for their age.

Comment

• Whatever you wear or your loved one just depends upon his/her personality. I think it completely depends upon the age factor.

Comment

• Most of the people prefer trying the cloths before purchasing them. This is a good way to check the fitting of the cloths. If you are buying them online, you need to be sure of your size.

Comment

• Ishika Gupta, that's the reason I'm wary about buying clothes online, as I've mentioned in other posts before. A while ago, I saw a Megaman t shirt online, and I liked it, but I didn't order it because I was unsure of the sizing of the t shirts. I now take an S in men's (it was a mans t shirt), and I saw it was from the US, and I know an S in the US and an S in the UK (where I am) could be totally different. When I see something in a shop I like, I do try it on first, especially things like jeans.

Comment

• Different brands sometimes have their own sizing measurement and this may be because of zero size craze.

Comment

• Originally posted by TimelyRain View Post
                            Ishika Gupta, that's the reason I'm wary about buying clothes online, as I've mentioned in other posts before. A while ago, I saw a Megaman t shirt online, and I liked it, but I didn't order it because I was unsure of the sizing of the t shirts. I now take an S in men's (it was a mans t shirt), and I saw it was from the US, and I know an S in the US and an S in the UK (where I am) could be totally different. When I see something in a shop I like, I do try it on first, especially things like jeans.
                            Yes I agree! You will find different sizes across the world. Also, instead of replacing the cloths bought, it is always better to get the right size.

Comment

• Yeah while shopping from the online website, we sell the product according to the mentioned size. And moreover we also can't physically touch the clothes so that we'll get the idea about quality of the cloth.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• U2 Feedback

I love U2: I checked out their website. I think some of the members were rude about U2: which was totally unfair. U2 produce great music and those insults...

09-09-2019, 09:57 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Diagnosis on Netflix

There are only 7 episodes, but I found this to be such an informative, interesting and eye-opening show. I was truly captivated by it and wanted to recommend...

09-05-2019, 07:43 AM By Ashlee T.
                              • Is it weird that I'm addicted to giving BJs?

I know this is probably going to sound like a windup but it's a genuine question. And a warning to fellas: any comment along the lines of "come give...

09-04-2019, 06:05 PM By GillBlack
                              • High Fat, High Carbohydrate, High Protein – Which Works Best?

When I was struggling to continue my progress last year, a couple of good friends started suggesting that I figure out my “macros” and “reduce carbs.”...

09-04-2019, 12:24 AM By Stillness
                              • Hurricane Dorian devastation

I watched some videos from hurricane Dorian last night. I hope our members or readers in the Carribean are safe.

And I suppose our members...

09-03-2019, 07:42 AM By atskitty2
                              Working...
                              X