• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

closet purge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• closet purge

How often do you clean out your closet and get rid of the clothes, shoes and accessories you no longer want?
    What "rules" do you use to decide whether it goes or not?

I have entirely too much. The last couple years I've been moving toward simplifying my life and this shopping habit (addiction) is well under review.

I used to do it yearly and the criteria was lax. If I'd not worn it in a year, out it went.
    Now, I'm doing it seasonally and getting rid of what I didn't wear but also what I don't love. It's symbolic for me I think. I'm releasing myself of things that don't serve me well. It is clothing. I love fashion and I love dressing up but I have been a slave to it at times.

I'm also much more selective of what I buy and how much I buy. It's been a very freeing process. I intend to do another purge this week.

Anyone care to share?

Not NEARLY as often as I should. I took over 20 large bags full to consignments back in the spring after I did a purge.

**If I have not worn it throughout the past year, it goes.
    **If it is more than a couple years old, even if I still wear it, it goes. (Why? Styles change. Things fade. Things show their age sometimes even when I don't notice it.)
    **If it is faded or has holes (unless they are purposely holed jeans), it goes.

It was hard getting out of the mindset of "But, I MIGHT wear that...." but it felt really super good to get rid of the stuff. I then went shopping to update my wardrobe.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      How often do you clean out your closet and get rid of the clothes, shoes and accessories you no longer want?

I did purge my closet last year but there's nothing more to purge

kid's clothes -go through them in the summers before school starts

Comment

I have a clear out every 6 months of anything I have used or worn within that time. I do my husband's at the same time.

Comment

You've reminded me I have to do this. I haven't gone into my wardrobe for well over a year. I shall do this in the next few days now. I am also not the most tidy person: I keep hold of things that bring clutter. I suppose I can be sentimental, but I am not a very bad hoarder. Anyhow, in the New Year I shall have to declutter and give my wardrobe a good clear out.

Comment

Popcorn, my mom is a hoarder. I'm the opposite. I will do everything to keep from being like her and in so doing, probably throw away a lot of things that I shouldn't!

Comment

atskitty2 I can understand where you're coming from. I think it's good you are not like your mum. Hoarding is very bad and frustrating. Anyhow, I sorted my wardrobe. It looks much better now. I try to avoid hoarding - I DO throw things out - but some things I become emotionally attached to. It isn't good. At the end of the day, objects are just objects. I ask myself, if my flat caught on fire would I miss the item? That gives me the incentive to throw things away. Anyhow, that's my penny's worth.

Comment

I haven't cleaned out my closet in years. Bad? Maybe..

Comment

I have also sorted my shoe cupboard. I LOVE shoes. However, I tend to only keep those I wear: mostly, however. I also have done other sorting: such as with my papers and documents. I am strict with my paperwork. I also throw out old magazines regularly. I like order in my home and have thrown items away. I just do it at snails pace. But it always gets done in the end.

Comment

I just did one a few months ago, but not nearly enough. I need a do-over. I don't even know why I hang on to some of the things I have. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Comment

I got around to sorting my wardrobe yesterday. I can now see every item of clothing I own and it is neat & tidy. I have a lot of clothes and definitely am inspired to wear ALL of them over the coming months. I wear a dress every so often and love patterned and plain tops. I avoid T-shirts and jeans and am wary of granny trends. But I am no fashion victim! Anyhow, I'd advise anyone sort their wardrobe out. It is so, so worth it.

Comment

I clean out my closet once a year. It is a huge task but fulfilling since I donate as much as I can to charity.

Comment

I now try to purge my closet a good half dozen times a year. I have a small sized closet, but know where everything is. I love clothing and I love fashion and having an tidy & organized closet is very important to me. I am becoming more organized, clean & tidy in every area in my life these days. I love being on top of things and everything in its place. Anyhow, that is another subject. But, I definitely would advise anyone sort out their closets and go through their clothes to see what fits and what doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                          X