Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nail biting

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• nail biting

Hi everyone, I am 30 years old and I have always bitten my nails. I hate the way they look and would love to have nice nails, as it looks so much more femenine. But i cant seem to stop, when im deep in though I bite them without realising. Ive tryed various times to stop and they grow really quickly but are so weak they just break straight away, and I end up biting them again.
    Any tips to help me stop and make my nails stronger??

• Hi tapdance.

I used to grind my teeth.... always... One day I worked out there must be a reason, and so I worked that out and it stopped.

Point being, you have to work out Why? Why do you bite your nails? What are you frightened off?

Usually, it's phsycological, as to why... Something in the back of your mind, you worry too much for instance....

So there, I'd say find the reason, then right a post it sticker that counteracts that and place it where you can see it every day...

People who smoke will swear they do it because of stress... But, it's an addiction for instance.

Apart from that there is a nail polish available, "google it" that tastes like carp that stops you from bitting them, because you can't handle the taste, so try that in the meantime.

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Originally posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
      Hi tapdance.

I used to grind my teeth.... always... One day I worked out there must be a reason, and so I worked that out and it stopped.

Point being, you have to work out Why? Why do you bite your nails? What are you frightened off?

Usually, it's phsycological, as to why... Something in the back of your mind, you worry too much for instance....

So there, I'd say find the reason, then right a post it sticker that counteracts that and place it where you can see it every day...

People who smoke will swear they do it because of stress... But, it's an addiction for instance.

Apart from that there is a nail polish available, "google it" that tastes like carp that stops you from bitting them, because you can't handle the taste, so try that in the meantime.

CW
      Thank you so much for your advice, I think you are so right, I do worry about things money problems etc.. and my brain is always going at 100 miles per hour trying to think things through to find solutions. I will try what you have said and see if it works!! At the minute im trying for a baby so thats another thing thats keeping my brain working overload thinking "am I? arn´t I?"
      have a good day!

Comment

• have a good day!
        You too sweet

You are SO NOT alone.. Okay...

WC will give you books to read, rightly so

But definately try to change your mind pattern and with an aid such as that horrid nail bighting, formula... You will have a baby, when it's ready to happen, so no point bitting your nails and worrying, it will happen when it's meant to

Take care sweet.

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• CW has made a great point - when you catch yourself biting your nails, think about what triggered it, was it anxiety about money, baby-making, frustration, worrry, anger, etc... try to isolate what your triggers are and make a conscious decision to react differently.

There are items on the market that will help you.. at least help you realize that you're biting your nails, as it is sometime so subconscious one doesn't even realize they're doing it! They have product that you put on your nails like nailpolish that tastes very bitter and unpleasant. Try it, if anything it will alert you that you're biting so you can start analyzing the trigger...

As for the weak nails, once you quit biting them off they will get healthier. But you can also strengthen them by keeping them conditioned with vitamin E (if you get the gel tabs and open them, then rub the liquid into your nails and cuticles. Also, proteins and gelatins help the nails to grow strong from the getgo - peanut butter, jello, etc... all great sources of the vitamins needed to have strong, healthy nails.

Good luck beating the habit! I know it is tough - I used to be a nail biter myself!

Comment

• My DH also bites his nails and he just does it as a reflex, he barely notices it. I feel bad for pointing it out or sometimes jokingly show him mine and say, here, have some more.

He doesn't do it as often if I am around, I figured he still bites his nails when he is alone because when we get back together during the weekend, he shows me his poor nails bitten away almost red-ish/bleeding.

Comment

• Thank you so much everyone! Have a good weekend!!

Comment

• Easy... Go to your local pharmacist and buy:Nail Care, stronger nail treatment. Put it on your nails once a day and when you bite your nails it will taste disgusting and you will instantly stop biting and you will notice your nails will grow fast and strong! Best of luck xoxo beauty exprt

Comment

• hi, i used to bite my nails. i used nail eat and nail drink to grow mine

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• new man needs help

just joined for some advice. i married a women 38 years ago who was a virgin at the time and never had an orgasm or never masturbated. After several...

Yesterday, 04:39 PM By hornyallthetime
                  • Reply to Husband seeking advice

Husbandseekingadvice - Awesome! It sounds like you've got a solid plan in place to fix all of this before it becomes unfixable. Kudos to you for being...

Yesterday, 03:00 PM By Ashlee T.

Hey ATSkitty, thanks for taking the time to reply! She is in therapy two days a week. I signed both of us up for planet fitness bc the couple that sweets...

Yesterday, 12:49 PM By Husbandseekingadvice

Ashlee, I hope you are having a killer day! Thank you for your post!
                    i agree 100 with you. I think I have been avoiding the whole situation together....

Yesterday, 12:43 PM By Husbandseekingadvice

I agree with a lot of what Ashlee recommends.
                    I would say this regarding her venting sessions however: is she willing to see a counselor? I think...

Yesterday, 12:00 PM By atskitty2

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• new man needs help

just joined for some advice. i married a women 38 years ago who was a virgin at the time and never had an orgasm or never masturbated. After several...

Yesterday, 04:39 PM By hornyallthetime
                  • Husband seeking advice

Hey! I need your advice. My wife is super stressed. I am lost in my role as a husband on how to help her.

The last 6 months have been absolutely...

Yesterday, 08:05 AM By Husbandseekingadvice
                  • The End Of DVDs and CDs

I have not bought any DVDs or CDs for a few years now and never will again.

I have given away 30 odd CDs and now stick to YouTube. I want...

04-19-2019, 01:33 PM By Popcorn&Candy
                  • New to divorce and sharing kids

I wasn’t sure where to post this. Does anyone here been divorced and share joint custody with ex?

We have. 4,5 and 6 week old daughters...

04-18-2019, 11:20 PM By Kaja9584
                  • Can’t tell if I’m squirting or what? Please help

Hello, so I never squirted before and never really tried to but lately I’ve been using a vibrator on my clit and couple of days ago, I held it on there...

04-17-2019, 12:13 AM By Avvybaby
                  Working...
                  X