Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gym or Jogging

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Gym or Jogging

Will exercise or jogging burn more calories? Suppose the time is equal

• It depends on the exercise you are doing in the gym. If you did a steady paced job for half an hour vs did lower body weight workout you'd likely burn about the same. If you did steady jog for half an hour vs half an hour of HIIT in the gym, you'd likely burn more doing the HIIT. It all just depends on what you're doing.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I’m assuming that by “exercise” you’re talking about resistance training and you’re contrasting that with cardio, correct?

If so, I think that both are equally useful and equally useless for burning calories. I don’t know the exact science, but I think that cardio will give you better immediate caloric output and resistance will do more over time. The problem with both is that it’s typically going to be much smaller than your basal metabolic rate. And you’ll have a tendency to eat more to compensate when you exercise or if you manage to increase your metabolic burn. That’s why physically strong people and even athletes can be overweight.

Where I think exercise is very useful is just in improving your physical and mental strength. The sense of well being, control, and general fitness contributes to the ability to take control of what you put into your belly (and what you don’t put into it). And that’s how fat is really burned - on the plate, not doing cardio or weight training. I really like both, but I favor resistance training.

I can get a half decent resistance workout done in a few minutes. I like the way that cardio allows me to meditate and increase my stamina, but it takes a bit longer. Some days I’ll do both or one or the other, but if my time is limited I’m doing a few minutes of resistance and hopping in the shower.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I second Stillness's post.

Comment

• Yeah, there are several factors missing in your question. Intensity of your jogging, what exercises you're doing, etc.
          What are your goals?

Comment

• This sounds odd, but exercise should be fun: not duty. Of course, it is important to exercise, but the person should also - on some level - want to exercise. Now I enjoy yoga, walking, running. Many years ago, I also loved cycling. I have always been active, but less so in recent years. I don't think being 38 years old is an excuse to exercise less, but when you're older, you tend to find you do less. BUT this is not true for everyone, which I do realize. But I LOVE walking. I won't pass up a ride in the car, but I have always enjoyed walking. I especially love walking at night. It is dangerous, however, so I haven't done so for a while. But I love walking underneath the stars, as corny as that sounds.

Anyhow, being fit and healthy is very important.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

thanks, Popcorn & Candy

didn't have time before but do want to address some of the points re article
              - never grew up wanting to...

Today, 12:48 PM By amy40
            • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

Hello!
              The most important advice that has already been in this discussion is to spend more calories than getting them! I myself adhere to this tactic:...

Today, 08:38 AM By Nate Julia
            • Reply to Acne

Acne is a most common skin disease. Avoid chemical. Use natural products. Wash your face twice a day. Use lemon juice. It's really work.

Today, 08:25 AM By sarabjot
            • Reply to Hello

Hello Everyone, I am here new. I am Sarabjot. I am working at Sofat Infertility Centre. I am From Ludhiana , Punjab.

Today, 08:23 AM By sarabjot
            • Reply to Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

Thank you both soooo much. You both have helped me realise what I know deep down is right. I feel like I want to send you both chocolates !!!!! I have...

Yesterday, 06:29 PM By secretkeeper

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
            • Hello

Hi, Everyone!

Greetings all. I am a new member here

02-26-2019, 04:58 AM By alexcarey
            • Has anyone felt like a third wheel?

What do I do in this situation? I value all your thoughts here. My husband and I had a couple we spent quite a bit of time with enjoying outings and dinners...

03-22-2019, 01:45 AM By secretkeeper
            • Whats wrong with my sex?!

I have a question.. Me and my guy have been together almost 5 years. We used to have amazing sex. Now... It's few and far between. Every time he goes...

03-22-2019, 10:25 AM By stateofconfusion
            • Mid-Cycle Bleeding

Hi,

Okay, so in November I had a nervous breakdown. Had a normal cycle until February. About day 16-18 I had brown and clumpy spotting, right...

03-22-2019, 06:23 PM By almostbritain
            Working...
            X