Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Much Make Up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Too Much Make Up?

I've always wondered why women wear make up absolutely everywhere.
    The majority of girls i know where make up to college every single day.
    I even overheard one girl saying 'I never go out without make up, my skin looks so washed out' then her friends agree with her.

Why is this?

I have asked this question on a boy dominated forum and got the useless answers 'to make them look better'. I found this answer laughable. For example, my hair looks better spiked but I don't spike it every single day.

I only ask because it really annoys me that a lot of women can't go out as themselves. It just seems so contrived.

Don't get me wrong. I' don't hate make up. It's just I don't understand why women wear it everywhere.

• I'm a little unique in that I don't do makeup just because I feel I have to. I genuinely love makeup. I must own at LEAST $3,000 in makeup, easy. To give you an idea, I have 4 and a half MAC makeup palettes filled up...that's about 80 eye shadows...Each one costs $14 dollars...And that eye shadow ALONE! I know, terrible. Anyhow. For me, it's about self expression. It's an art form. I can take a girl with no eye lid crease, no cheek bones and a double chin and bring out ALL of her best features and make her feel like a princess. Makeup shouldn't cover up a thing, (aside from pimples and dark circles! :P) it's job is to enhance. I don't get why girls who wear makeup (and yes, even a LOT of it) always get such a bad wrap. It's . Because I have splash of color on my cheeks and on my fricken eye lids, I'm a vapid wh0re? That doesn't even make sense...lmao.

So, back on topic, I wear it because it makes me smile. Don't get me wrong, I schlep all hung over in my PJ's and with a greasy face to Denny's on saturday morning just like everyone else, but to be honest, I feel a lot more comfortable when I've done myself up. It's just a preference.

Comment

• As a man, I have wondered the same about women who wear to much.

My opinion, make-up should accentuate a woman's beauty, not define it.

Honestly, it is better to not have on enough than to have on too much.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by damd View Post
        As a man, I have wondered the same about women who wear to much.

My opinion, make-up should accentuate a woman's beauty, not define it.

Honestly, it is better to not have on enough than to have on too much.
        Exactly. But that's not really the issue I'm on about. I understand why women wear make up, and while I agree if you can tell a woman is wearing make up by looking at her it looks bad, I don't really care, different people have different preferences.

What I'm curious of is why for most women's make up is a part of their everyday routine. Like brushing their teeth.

Like the example I gave. MY hair looks better when I style it but I don't style it every day.

It just makes me think that women are super self concious if they wear it every where, all the time. And also a little bit shallow. I mean, I probably have the lowest self asteem out of my group of friends, yet I don't strive to look my best everyday. It's not my top priority, my top priority is to be a nice person.

I wouldn't be that curious about it if some women wore make up and some didn't. But 90% of women do, and it's obviously not a choice to them, it's the norm, it's what they see in the media, it's what they were brought up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kesai View Post
          Like the example I gave. MY hair looks better when I style it but I don't style it every day.
          I feel the same way about my hair (albeit from a guy's perspective).
          But I have other things to do with it, Bandanas, Hats (of a very wide variety), comb it, gel/moose/cream it (depending on length).
          And every day I do something with it.

For me, I can't stand the way my hair looks just flat out in the mirror. I have gotten compliments about it when I don't do anything with it anyways, but it is entirely personal preference. If you are not happy with something in your life (a couch, a centrepiece, a boyfriend ...) you would change it right? Atleast I would

Comment

• Females today, especially in their teens and early 20s, are brainwashed by the media. They believe that they MUST wear makeup in order to be visually attractive.

I'm personally on a mission to revolutionize things in America. Remember something called "Natural Beauty?" Remember when everyone looked different? Remember when everyone had different haircuts? Different styles? Different hair colors? Different wardrobes?

Today... clones. Why? MTV and, to an extent, magazines like COSMO.

If one of your girlfriends is complaining about how bad her pores are, but she wears a pound of makeup a day, tell her to quit with the products for a few days, exfoliate, and moisturize. If she "has to" wear makeup, light accents is all she needs. If I can tell she's wearing green eye shadow from 10 feet away... it's too much.

I could go on all day about this topic. It'll probably end up getting deleted anyways but... oh well. If it's still around, hopefully this conversation can continue. Holla holla holla

OG
            Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by OG612 View Post
              Females today, especially in their teens and early 20s, are brainwashed by the media. They believe that they MUST wear makeup in order to be visually attractive.

I'm personally on a mission to revolutionize things in America. Remember something called "Natural Beauty?" Remember when everyone looked different? Remember when everyone had different haircuts? Different styles? Different hair colors? Different wardrobes?

Today... clones. Why? MTV and, to an extent, magazines like COSMO.

If one of your girlfriends is complaining about how bad her pores are, but she wears a pound of makeup a day, tell her to quit with the products for a few days, exfoliate, and moisturize. If she "has to" wear makeup, light accents is all she needs. If I can tell she's wearing green eye shadow from 10 feet away... it's too much.

I could go on all day about this topic. It'll probably end up getting deleted anyways but... oh well. If it's still around, hopefully this conversation can continue. Holla holla holla

OG
              Aggreed.

Women that cake on the makeup is a Hugh Turnoff for me... Its up there with women smelling bad...

live laugh and love
              Nice guys don't finish last, weak guys finish last.

Comment

• Oh boy...I'm one of those that wears makeup everyday. I wouldn't think of going out without at least some mascara as my lashes are pretty non-existant without anything to darken them. I wish I was more attractive and didn't feel that I needed to "hide" behind it but after years of wearing it, it's how I feel. You wanted to know why we do it and I think that after wearing if for so long, people would be shocked to see me without it. My eyes are small and like I said, my lashes need a lot of work so that they are seen. I spose if I never started, I'd be better off but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol. I don't really wear a lot of foundation if I have a tan, I guess it's the eye makeup that I feel I need to complete things.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoyceF View Post
                  Oh boy...I'm one of those that wears makeup everyday. I wouldn't think of going out without at least some mascara as my lashes are pretty non-existant without anything to darken them. I wish I was more attractive and didn't feel that I needed to "hide" behind it but after years of wearing it, it's how I feel. You wanted to know why we do it and I think that after wearing if for so long, people would be shocked to see me without it. My eyes are small and like I said, my lashes need a lot of work so that they are seen. I spose if I never started, I'd be better off but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol. I don't really wear a lot of foundation if I have a tan, I guess it's the eye makeup that I feel I need to complete things.
                  See I don't buy that. You just have a poor self-image for whatever reason. Probably great confidence and self-esteem, but you're lookin' at yourself all wrong.

Instead of eye shadow and/or mascara, why not get some fake lashes? Lengthen and thicken with more ease than a mascara brush. Right?

I don't want this to come across as a **********, but if you PM me a pic I'm certain I could further my stance that you don't need it every single day. But if you don't want to do that, that's perfectly fine and I'll understand.

OG
                  Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Comment

• In a word... Confidence.

Some women wear make-up "everywhere" and all the time because they feel self-conscious and almost 'naked' without it, unless we've got a nice tan. Where we get these ideas from, who knows? We look in the mirror and say "Oh god look at the state of me, better put my face on" kind of thing, and when we are made up we feel better, like all of a sudden we can face the world.

If I'm slopping around in jeans and trainers I don't usually wear make-up but then I also feel a bit low in general at these times. When I make an effort to dress nice and wear make-up it makes me feel better about myself.

A friend of mine a long time ago wouldn't even open her front door until she had all her make-up on which I thought was ridiculous, but it was obviously like a security blanket. She didn't feel confident in her own skin so had to add a few splashes of colour to it.

Women eh?

Comment

• wow.bashing

Why such the bad connotations on make-up? Has anyone thought about it as a facet of being presentable?

Being in a professional setting, I wouldn't dare go to work with ugly hair, and a plain face. I have no self-conscious issues but as shallow as this may sound being some-what presentable in any setting acts as an attribute to your work. Like a guy for example, i never see any of the men i work with not being trimmed, or their hair not done. I guess it's not the same for everyone. But for the females that wear make up there not "cake-faces" and ALL are not self-conscious. Also, despite the popular belief about the "media", level-headed people don't all follow the "media" we all have brains and most can distinguish from what we can and want to do.

However, do some females over-do make-up? Yes. But for those who do wear make-up as an almost every day basis there is no shame in that, because the smarts one will know when to apply it and to wear.

But seriously why is this even an argument? Everyone to their own and be happy with what they do. Period.

Much Love <3
                      The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary

Comment

• This is for OG....I think I have ok self confidence and think I have a very very nice personality. I just happen to think that I look like without makeup and I think I just got very good at making myself look pretty darned good with makeup at a very young age so I kept it up and now I'm kind of stuck with it. I'm married and my husband sees me without makeup every day but never says anything about me taking forever to go anywhere cuz of course I have to put my "face on". I think there will come a day when I'll just say ....what am I wasting all that time on but for now I just don't feel confortable going out without makeup...sad but true.
                        It's so funny that you talk about false eyelashes but I can remember wearing false eyelashes a lot in high school but just got tired of that and finally got rid of that and found that mascara was good enough. I'd have no problem with a photo....I don't look half bad with makeup but you'll never see a photo of me without it though....lol....

Comment

• maz33, you make it sound like makeup is some type of drug. Crackscara????

MynxV, I was referring to women about my age who aren't professionals. The "club rats" if you will. They are the ones that have been brainwashed by the media that you need to have This Look, This Purse, These Sunglasses, and so on. I see it all the time and it's... scary. For me anyways.

JoyceF... see? It's your image. Not your confidence, personality, or how you feel about yourself. It's how you view yourself. And you confirmed that for me.
                          I just happen to think that I look like without makeup and I think I just got very good at making myself look pretty darned good with makeup at a very young age so I kept it up and now I'm kind of stuck with it.
                          You look better with makeup on, which most women do as it's supposed to highlight your natural beauty and features. But you've grown accustomed to looking at the "enhancements" (for lack of a better word) that you don't like the way you look without it. Sound right? Drop me a PM once yours gets activated. I noticed mine around post 33.

OG

Comment

• as I don't spend much time reading. I have thousands of e-mails to wade through as I research alternative health. I just spent a bit of time trying to figure it out until I decided that it's too nice outside so I'm outta here.....lol.

I was not aware that I'd have to activate anything. If you have a quick way to get it activated...let me know.
                            Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 08-18-2008, 05:08 AM. Reason: Merge posts

Comment

• I rarely wear makeup and my husband always tells me he loves the way I look without makeup, to the point he'd rather I not. I never use foundation or coverup as I really don't think my skin needs it. If I do put makeup on, just some eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara. Perhaps some gloss if it's somewhere fancy :P 85% of the time I don't bother putting it on just to do errands around town. Can't be bothered. That's not to say I'm a slob though. I'd just rather not spend an hour getting ready to go grocery shopping.

Besides, I'm married. I don't need to look good for anyone but my hubby. And if I were single, I'd rather a man be attracted to my natural look before we start something. Just my humble opinion though. I have nothing against women who are really into makeup.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X