Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Much Make Up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kesai View Post
    Exactly. But that's not really the issue I'm on about. I understand why women wear make up, and while I agree if you can tell a woman is wearing make up by looking at her it looks bad, I don't really care, different people have different preferences.

What I'm curious of is why for most women's make up is a part of their everyday routine. Like brushing their teeth.

Like the example I gave. MY hair looks better when I style it but I don't style it every day.

It just makes me think that women are super self concious if they wear it every where, all the time. And also a little bit shallow. I mean, I probably have the lowest self asteem out of my group of friends, yet I don't strive to look my best everyday. It's not my top priority, my top priority is to be a nice person.

I wouldn't be that curious about it if some women wore make up and some didn't. But 90% of women do, and it's obviously not a choice to them, it's the norm, it's what they see in the media, it's what they were brought up with.

Do take more than 1 second to decide what clothes to buy/wear? Do you shave? Do your hair? Brush your teeth so they don't yellow? I'm sure you do. It's about up keep. It doesn't make you vapid, it doesn't mean you're less of a "nice person", it means you take pride in your appearance. I don't see why that's such a able offense to so many of you guys. Just because I like to look nice doesn't mean I'm not a nice person, and it's not my top priority. But it's not like you can have only one hobby or goal in life...

I just don't see what all the friggin' issues with wanting to look good is. Anyone who's ever gotten a hair cut, picked out new shoes, or worried about a little pimple is guilty of vanity. So, pretty much, everyone in the world. So I don't think that's the problem everyone has with women who wear makeup, so...what is it? In all honesty, I think a lot of people still have the "Jezebel" stereotype...That if you wear makeup or take pride in your appearance, you MUST be a or loose or stup1d or not a nice person or WHATEVER emotion that seeing a women all done up evokes. Kinda sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoyceF
      I was not aware that I'd have to activate anything. If you have a quick way to get it activated...let me know.
      It will kick in automatically around post 35. Don't sweat it.

OG

Originally posted by ChelseaRenee View Post
      I just don't see what all the friggin' issues with wanting to look good is. Anyone who's ever gotten a hair cut, picked out new shoes, or worried about a little pimple is guilty of vanity. So, pretty much, everyone in the world. So I don't think that's the problem everyone has with women who wear makeup, so...what is it? In all honesty, I think a lot of people still have the "Jezebel" stereotype...That if you wear makeup or take pride in your appearance, you MUST be a or loose or stup1d or not a nice person or WHATEVER emotion that seeing a women all done up evokes. Kinda sad.
      My problem with women that wear makeup is that they all feel they "have to" do it in order to look good. They've been brainwashed that they, in their natural state, are not that attractive when it's utter baloney. I don't mind if a woman wants to wear some when going out to spruce up her looks, but too many young women today treat makeup like it's life support.

I totally get wanting to look your best when you go to work. I'm certainly not inviting someone in to my house for a hypnosis session without making sure my clothes are pressed or my head shaved and my goatee trimmed. It's for work. It's how I make my money (even though I work from my apartment).

But when it gets to the point that it is "so absolutely crucial" to wear it, it has gone from a beauty enhancer to a way of life. And that's wrong.

You're going to the gym for an hour or two. Why put on the gloss, blush/rouge, eyeliner, and mascara just to throw on a set of track pants and a tank top? I've seen that all too often and it makes no sense to me.

I don't have a problem with women wearing makeup. I have a problem with those who believe it's a way of life instead of something to enhance what your momma gave you.

OG
      Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 08-18-2008, 05:09 AM. Reason: Merge posts
      Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by OG612

You're going to the gym for an hour or two. Why put on the gloss, blush/rouge, eyeliner, and mascara just to throw on a set of track pants and a tank top? I've seen that all too often and it makes no sense to me.

OG
        I will have to agree with this one. There is seriously no reason to wear make-up to the gym.
        It will all come off anyway, and I dont think a female would look to attractive with their make-up running down their face.

But like i said before smart women will know when and where to put their make-up on
        The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary

Comment

• Originally posted by MynxV View Post
          I will have to agree with this one. There is seriously no reason to wear make-up to the gym.
          It will all come off anyway, and I dont think a female would look to attractive with their make-up running down their face.
          It's not a pretty site.

But like i said before smart women will know when and where to put their make-up on
          Unfortunately, there's not that many "smart women" out there that are my age. It sucks being in your mid-20s as a man these days.

OG
          Through hypnosis, I create confident men and women to succeed in all facets of their lives. This place will soon get very interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by OG612 View Post
            It's not a pretty site.

Unfortunately, there's not that many "smart women" out there that are my age. It sucks being in your mid-20s as a man these days.

OG
            Hey, hey now. I'm sure it sucks being a woman in her mid-20's because of the lack of "smart men", too buddy.

And the gym thing, no. Ew. That's . It's a waste of makeup, I'd sweat it off in 10 minutes, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChelseaRenee View Post
              Hey, hey now. I'm sure it sucks being a woman in her mid-20's because of the lack of "smart men", too buddy.
              Yes, it does. There's a sea of arrogant, self-absorbed, self-obsessed guys with the interpersonal skills of a bull. It's shocking really.

I can't stand the overly made-up look on girls. The only time I do a full face of makeup is for a nice night out, which is pretty rare for me. And even at that, my full face of makeup is about a third of what most girls wear. I just can't even fathom it when I see girls with bags and bags of various makeup items and they spend half an hour or more putting everything on, resulting in looking like a kinda trashy (I know they aren't ACTUALLY trashy girls...I'm sure they're nice...although, really, most of the girls like that that I have known really haven't been very nice girls). If I were a dude I'd steer clear of those girls and go for one with more innate self-confidence and just a simple look.

I also tend to keep away from guys who have really trendy semi-mohawk haircuts (which is the main fashion around here these days) and a pound of hair products on.

Just my opinions.
              Well some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I can not disagree. But I never learned nothing from playing it safe; I say fate should not tempt me. I take my chances.

Comment

• Firstly double posting, Merge Posts Mods, Little, ahhhhh enough already....

Now as a blonde (previously) all my life. You can look pale, eyebrows are light, lashes are light, trick... Hot lipstick, not much else, touch of colour to enhance but be natural, nice.

As a brunette, opposite.. lip gloss, light lip stick smokey eyes, mascara.

We are in essence all beautiful...

A light amount of makeup accentuates and as women go, it's nice to do something..

I love waking up Nakkkeeed and I hate black under my eyes from the night before, it's gross... Lucky I am a good girl at my age...

Nakkked is beautiful.

Special occasions is sensual.

Work is work.

Love the frig who you are and if they don't like your natural beauty well? Not for you.

Chels, long time no speak, but as for Gym totally agree WT? It's a Gym not a conquest of whom meets whom, dating agency.

Personally? A light touch is very nice, nakkked can be very nice, as long as you believe who you are and that your beautiful with and WITHOUT...

CW
                Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 08-18-2008, 05:22 AM.
                PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChelseaRenee View Post
                  CW, I'm smarter than most of the people I know that are college grads. And I never went. But you're right. There are a lot of guys out there. I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

And the gym thing, no. Ew. That's . It's a waste of makeup, I'd sweat it off in 10 minutes, lol.[/QUOTE]

Ewwwwwww!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by OG612 View Post
                    CW, I'm smarter than most of the people I know that are college grads. And I never went. But you're right. There are a lot of guys out there. I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

And the gym thing, no. Ew. That's . It's a waste of makeup, I'd sweat it off in 10 minutes, lol.
                    Ewwwwwww!!! [/quote]

OG... You got me on your mind or something? (Joke) Um, It's Chelsea Renee... CR..... Not CW....
                    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I would not prefer for heavy make up. I beleive that make up will spoil you skin and you more elder then you are.

Comment

• Because of allergy and hyper sensitivity I couldn't wear make up for years and am still very limited on that and skin care products. I usually wear a bit of eye make up but not much. I actually enjoy the ritual, its part of starting the day.

Comment

• Have a laugh on me...

I wear enough to get by to work and a little more if I'm going out or it's a special occassion, but honestly, if I'm not working or going out with my husband I NEVER wear make-up. And get a load of this....when I don't wear make-up, that is when men everywhere try to flirt or pick up on me! It's too funny. Maybe men can see natural beauty vs. all the glob? In any case, I'm not trying to impress anyone when I run errands or if I just plain don't feel like wearing make-up. My family thinks it's cute that men are always trying to talk to me - when I'm NOT wearing make-up.

Comment

• I quite like make-up but...

I see the guy's point. Those orange girls, when men can tell your tan is fake, that's really saying something. Those girls who constantly have a full face of make-up, mad eyeshadow, heavy eyeliner, loads of product. They're usually the same girls who spend a good hour doing their hair every single morning. And you see them in shopping centres! Or just out doing day to day things. Or sitting in lecture halls!

But saying that, I love make-up! I'm an insane morning person. I wake up hyper. I love the routine in the morning, hair, make-up, clothes. I feel ready for the day afterwards.

Though! Men shouldn't be able to tell you're wearing make-up. Unless your wearing eyeshadow to match your top or something along those lines. And most men nowadays can tell nearly as well as women that you have eyeliner on. But in general! Foundation should look completely natural! Guys should not be able to tell at all that you have highligher on or concealer! Otherwise you are wasting your time.

I feel perfectly comfortable wearing no make-up in jeans and a hoody. I would feel a bit odd to have my hair done and wearing heels without make-up. Be like going out without a bra.
                            Or being a guy in a suit with messy hair and unkept stubble. It looks half done.

I know there are some girls who are really self-consious about going anywhere without make-up. I actually knew a girl once who wouldn't pick up the phone!!! If she wasn't wearing any make-up! Some girls are crazy, the world should know that by now!

If wearing make-up makes life easier for those girls, what harm? You could turn to much worse things for comfort.

There is a time and a place for everything.

The girls in mini skirts in dec with the hair done up and the orange face on... Some men seem to like that so what can ya do? I personnally think they look very very odd. My brother thinks they are whoriful.

Although in my personal experience. I feel like people see me as a child if i have no make-up on in the states. Only last year I was over in Florida and some waitress told me I shouldn't drink coffee until I'm older because it'll effect my growth. I wasn't wearing make-up that evening. But we went back to the same restaurant a few nights later and the same waitress didn't take away the wine glass from in front of me when she took them from in front of my brothers... So I went from about 12 years of years to something over 21 simply because of my make-up?!
                            I found the same kind of experience while shopping in New York.

Possible I just had odd american experiences.

But it was so much easier put on my make-up in the morning in the states then get treated like a child all day.

Comment

• less make up, makes attractive to men and simplicity is beauty...

Comment

• Makeup is pointless.. its a waste of time and money.. I don't know about you but I'd rather sleep an extra 30 minutes.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to AC7

Doctors and nurses were saying that you needed to eliminate or almost eliminate fats for a healthy diet that would control our weight. An Atkins diet...

Today, 08:30 AM By jns
                                • Reply to Spider In My Bedroom

Y'all are crazy!! Lol

Today, 05:41 AM By atskitty2
                                • Reply to AC7

You're both right lol

Health is defined as the absence of illness or injury; or our condition mentally or physically. I think it's reasonable...

Today, 05:38 AM By atskitty2
                                • Reply to The HPV Vaccine: Should You Vaccinate Your Kids Or Not? - Discuss

Oh, I absolutely agree. You would *think* that in the longterm, it would behoove insurance companies to cover something that prevents future cancers (and...

Yesterday, 10:06 PM By Alison H.
                                • Reply to Attractiveness

I thought Handsome only applied to men??
                                  e.g. Mario Lopez is very Handsome (well that's what my wife thinks anyway!)

My wife doesn't...

Yesterday, 09:28 PM By muffin70

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X