Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too Much Make Up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Kesai
    started a topic Too Much Make Up?

Too Much Make Up?

I've always wondered why women wear make up absolutely everywhere.
    The majority of girls i know where make up to college every single day.
    I even overheard one girl saying 'I never go out without make up, my skin looks so washed out' then her friends agree with her.

Why is this?

I have asked this question on a boy dominated forum and got the useless answers 'to make them look better'. I found this answer laughable. For example, my hair looks better spiked but I don't spike it every single day.

I only ask because it really annoys me that a lot of women can't go out as themselves. It just seems so contrived.

Don't get me wrong. I' don't hate make up. It's just I don't understand why women wear it everywhere.

• CHANDLERS WISH
    replied
    spammers haven...

Thread closed.

CW

Leave a comment:

• CHANDLERS WISH
    replied
    Women don't wear make-up to "get laid"...

Youth speaks in, "well youth"...

Women wear make-up because they want to for themselves, it's creating, matching with the clothes and putting something together as a whole because we take pride in ourselves.

We're just as happy to run around naked, that being without clothes and without makeup and still feel just as beautiful.

You think men don't buy that certain top/shirt - jeans, put gell in their hair, even get streaks, highlights, all for the same logical reason....

But, they also will wear their board shorts, no top, hair everywhere and not care.

That's what you call human nature.

CW

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Women wear make up to trick men into finding them more attractive. They can cover moles, make their eyes look bigger and so on. Imagine if it was socially acceptable for men to use make up to help them get laid - every man would wear make u LOL!

Its human nature to want to be found attractive.

Leave a comment:

• PJhavinfunagain
    replied
    Tex... Thank heavens for men like you!!! You sound like my DH. He just does not get the makeup thing. I don't wear much, mostly mascara because I really like my eyes and I think it makes the look a bit brighter. And I have a bod that is so far from perfect.. well we will not go there. He loves me for the person I am ... Strong, independent, sensible, funny at times I hope and caring.

Leave a comment:

• despero
    replied
    I've never been that big on makeup. I work in an office full of women, and its such a wide variety...some wear heavy, medium, light...then there's a few like me who don't wear any. I only wear it if I'm going out or something. And I use it sparingly. I do my eyes, eyeliner, shadow, and mascara...and thats about it. Then some lipstick. I don't do foundation...blush...none of that. Its never worked for me.

My thing is, I had a crooked eye for most of my life (strabismus), and was so self conscious of it...I wore my hair in my face all through my teenage years to hide it. (people are extremely cruel) In my early 30s, I finally had it corrected...and since then, I REALLY enjoyed putting eye makeup on. I always thought I had pretty eyes, but wanted so badly for them to be straight. so now that they are...I enjoy dressing them up once in a while!! (of course, I'm always SUPER paranoid that it will turn back in again) I bug my husband sometimes... "are my eyes straight??"
    Outside of that...I just don't have the time or patience to spend that much time thats just me.

Leave a comment:

• WildChild
    replied
    LOL perhaps you just prefer the real thing.

Leave a comment:

• Texinator
    replied
    I have found that many women actually look better with little or no makeup than with. I don't think it is usually even a case of them lacking skill in applying makeup but rather in the makeup detracting from their natural beauty.

Then again, it seems that based on my previous posts that I also don't give a rat's behind if a girl has a big butt, small boobs, and a bush, so maybe I'm just a freak.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesecake
    replied
    They feel self-conscious about not wearing because most of them have been for a long time. Yes I know if they never had worn any it'd make them feel better but a lot of girl go through a stage of when they're finally allowed to wear make up and so they do. Some of them find out the hate it, some of them don't care either way and some of them form an attachment to it. After that I'm pretty sure women don't change their views that much

Leave a comment:

• Nadiayah
    replied
    OMG.. i am a college student, early in the morning... the first thing you see is all colors of make up. most girls on the campus look like raccoons because they wear so much make up. I always wonder why are they wearing so much make up. the only thing i wear, when i am going is a little mascara for eyelashes. I believe that make-up only increase the risk of aging, acnee because of chemicals that's inside the make up.

Leave a comment:

• FearNoArt
    replied
    I think the real heart of this problem is the issue of self-confidence. Many people view make-up as a security blanket, or as a way to hide ourselves from the outside world. But really, I think wearing makeup is a sign of high self-esteem, and more importantly, self confidence. (With the exception of stage make-up, comically thick make-up, or excessive use of color.) Women with negative thoughts about themselves rarely take the time to emanate an attractive outward appearance. Women with self-esteem seem to do this more. So in a way, your make-up dilemma could be a positive sign about women in general; since most women wear make-up, perhaps most women have high self-esteem.

Leave a comment:

• GlitterAndStuds
    replied
    Oh I LOVE mascara! I used to never be able to leave home without it on, if nothing else. Laziness has taken over though, hehe. Yeah I just don't care. Unless I know I'm gonna be around a bunch of people or want to feel pretty or whatever... I'll pass. At work, I have no one to impress, I work with a bunch of mostly women in their 40's or older. I'm sure they don't mind

Plus my SO says he likes it better when I don't wear it so much. The only thing I don't like when I don't wear it is that my eyes look all puffy and weird. But eh.

Leave a comment:

• Ahryin
    replied
    Do you know my SO actually complained once because he saw me in make-up and says I never wore it for him...I don't wear makeup...

Every now and again I will wear eye shadow but I haven't used mascara..EVER I'm afraid i will poke my eye out

Leave a comment:

• GlitterAndStuds
    replied
    I just saw a post on women who wear makeup to the gym.. GUUUUHHH! I hate that, and when they wear it to the beach it drives me even crazier.

But onto the original question, I for one am not a makeup fanatic, but I like it. Just in a sense that it's fun to put on, try different colors and what ways are better to apply it, etc. I never wear it to work, unless my eyes are puffy from allergies, then I throw some mascara on or something. I used to wear it everywhere, but now I only do when I'm going out...to a party at a friend's house, dinner with my boyfriend, whatever. But even then, I keep it minimal. I don't even use foundation, but tinted moisturizer is awesome. It makes my face feel great and it doesn't cake, ever. I love eyeshadows, but I tend to stick with earthy stuff....colors like pink, blue, etc. look ridiculous on me. And I use a bronzer on my cheeks, LIGHTLY. I honestly can't stand how pale I am so I'll probably start tanning and cut out the middle man! haha

Leave a comment:

• ashleynichole
    replied
    Originally posted by 2boysmama View Post
    Haha...I joined this site to comment on some weight loss issues and found myself here. If we are going to take makeup away why not take deodorant as well. I'm a normal everyday kind of girl. I wake up in the morning and will tread to the store in my pj's and slippers still in yesterday's makeup. However, when it's time to make myself presentable to the world: the makeup bag comes out. I don't have to wear it. Do I think I look better: yes!! Do I have low self esteem? maybe....Do I look better in make up? without a doubt....I also smell better when I wear deodorant. Maybe you're naturally beautiful....I'm not. When the TV commercial comes on and says "Maybe it's maybelliene" I always tell my friends "Of course it is Jack***** do you think I could look this way naturally?" You don't like makeup? Don't wear it.
    I feel the same exact way.
    I'm not naturally beautiful.

Leave a comment:

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to AC7

Doctors and nurses were saying that you needed to eliminate or almost eliminate fats for a healthy diet that would control our weight. An Atkins diet...

Today, 08:30 AM By jns
  • Reply to Spider In My Bedroom

Y'all are crazy!! Lol

Today, 05:41 AM By atskitty2
  • Reply to AC7

You're both right lol

Health is defined as the absence of illness or injury; or our condition mentally or physically. I think it's reasonable...

Today, 05:38 AM By atskitty2
  • Reply to The HPV Vaccine: Should You Vaccinate Your Kids Or Not? - Discuss

Oh, I absolutely agree. You would *think* that in the longterm, it would behoove insurance companies to cover something that prevents future cancers (and...

Yesterday, 10:06 PM By Alison H.
  • Reply to Attractiveness

I thought Handsome only applied to men??
    e.g. Mario Lopez is very Handsome (well that's what my wife thinks anyway!)

My wife doesn't...

Yesterday, 09:28 PM By muffin70

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X