Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laser hair removal, at my age?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Laser hair removal, at my age?

Hello!
    OKay, well I'm very insecure about the hair on my upper lip you see, it's dark borwn (like my hair) and I really just want it gone. But, I'm only thirteen and i doubt that they even do laser hair removal on girls my age, but i wnted to know if maybe they might. And if not what should i do? Because i really hate it, i sometimes get made fun of about it too.
    Please help!
    - Lilly

• I don't see why they wouldn't but I've never really done any kind of research on the subject.

You might try tweezers and just pull out the hairs (if you haven't already) it's a lot cheaper. It does "smart" at first but the more you do it you get used to it.
    There is a method to my madness ........ I just haven't found it yet.

Comment

• Getting your facial hair waxed at a salon is pretty reasonable, and yes a bit painful, but not as bad as waxing some other areas as the hair is usually quite fine. That could be my recommendation. So next time you get a hair cut, ask about waxing services that might be offered there.

Comment

• Don't worry hun... I remember going through the same exact thing in middle school. Boys would laugh at my "moustache" and call me a guy or "bearded lady" or some other terrible things, because I had very dark hair on my upper lip. I found that bleach helped me a lot. Bleack is an alternative if waxing is too painful, and it's nor harmful if you don't use it too frequently. It lasts for several weeks depending on the brand, there are ones made especially for facial hair which are a little more gentle than the ones for legs or arms. I haven't looked into it, but apparently there are also a number of home recipes using things like lemon juice, if you prefer more of a naturalist approach to bleach :]

I stopped bleaching quite a hwile ago, as I grew my hair got lighter on it's own. It must have something to do with hormones

Comment

• Hi Lilly, Similar to the responses already, over the counter hair removal creams and waxing at a salon are all cost effective options that work but are temporary. If you're looking for permanent hair reduction you should consider laser hair removal. Depending on the state you live in, this procedure may by preformed by a doctor or technician. At my medi spa, our doctor has the parent sign a consent form when treating minors. Hope this helps!
          Gina DellaPietro
          Bella Fina Medi Spa
          908-775-8400
          Info(at)BellaFinaMediSpa.com

Comment

• you can also use Laser Treatment for skin:
            A laser is used to destroy the melanin in the hair and the hair follicle, without damaging
            the surface of the skin. This procedure also uses a topical anesthetic for additional
            comfort during treatment and the results may last a year or longer.
            Now, a series of laser skin treatments will effectively diminish those marks, leaving skin
            smoother and nearly blemish free. Due to the precision of the laser, even small marks can be targeted without damaging the surrounding skin area.
            Removing a tattoo used to take multiple sessions under the knife, skin grafts and extensive recovery time. Now, tattoo removal has become much quicker and easier with laser skin treatment alternatives. Amateur tattoos can take even fewer sessions to remove.Laser skin treatment has become the option for many cosmetic surgeons and patients today, due to the success of the procedures and the short recovery time that is required. The advancements in laser technology have made it possible to use this treatment to resurface the skin and not only remove acne scars, but also to treat the active cases.

Comment

• I too have had extra facial hair that came and went over the years. Bleach and waxing can work but must be repeated frequently. Recently I had laser hair removal and I am so happy with the results. I know they do it on girls your age because a met a 14 year old in the doctor's office when I had the first of the three treatments. Just one word of advice. They tell you to use a numbing cream on the areas to be treated, but don't you how much to use. I jut dabbed a bit on several times in the hour before the laser treatment. Ouch!! You really have to slather it on on the skin. When I practically frosted my face with the numbing cream, I hardly felt a thing. One final thought. Dark hair like yours actually repond better to laser than blonde hair. Good luck!

Comment

• beware of havin laser treatments. i went to a beauticians and got IPL laser treatments have been burnt some times badly! go to the best surgery places for these things but if its just the mussy id just go for waxing

Comment

• Laser Treatment is one of the best ways to get rid of unwanted hairs. But I think you are quite young to try it now. You should wait for some more years. Upto that time, you can use any temporary technique to remove hairs from your upper lip area.

Comment

• I have the same problem only my hair is black . I've been teased about it since I was in sixth grade & am now a Freshman in high school , I've always just laughed along you know but it really kills me on the inside, especially when my baby cousins point it out and everyone in the family laughs along. It's gotten to the point where i'm scared to swim in public because water makes it worse. I look in the mirror and I just can't bring myself to believe that i'm anything more than ugly. . . . But My mom finally asked me if I wanted Laser Hair Removal and of course that's what i've wanted since like ever . Doing the math (because i'm a math nerd) you're probably 16 now & beautiful . I was just wondering . . Did you ever get the procedure done ? Were the side-efects bad ? Did the teasing stop or did they just start saying that you shave or whatever ? I really want the hair gone forever , but i'm scared of what people will say if one week I have a mustache and the next i'm without any facial hair . I know you probably don't even use this website anymore but it never hurts to try .
                    xoxo , Mercedes<3

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X