Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arm hair..

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Arm hair..

Hello all. I was just wondering if there is any way you can possibly thin the hair which covers your arms. I'm Italian, so naturally the hair is long, dark, and thick. I hate wearing tanks and tees because I feel very ape-ish, so to speak.
    I don't want to shave it because I find it weird, and no hair might look even worse on me.
    None of the guys I've been with have ever mentioned it, but it makes me very insecure. As with lower back hair, which I just shave anyway.
    I know many people actually embrace the fact they are hairy, but I'm the opposite. I shave everything I can, whether it be my pubic hair, legs, even the big toes..it's just very unsettling to me. And arm hair has always been a problem.
    If anyone has advice, I'd be more than happy if you would kindly share it with me!

Thank you all,

Alex

• Just shave it off. You will like the feel and it doesn't look bad. It will always grow back if you don't like it.

Comment

• If I shave it off, won't it grow back thicker if I don't like it? And won't I have to shave it every day for it to stay smooth?

Comment

• I'm Italian also and I have been shaving the tops of my forarms for about 30 years now and it has NEVER grown in think. Believe me. My hair on my arms is still baby fine.

Comment

• Have you ever noticed the other areas you shave growing back thicker? I have never seen it grow back thicker. I don't shave my arms everyday, maybe once or twice a week. I am not a hairy person to begin with, so mine doesn't grow back very fast.

Comment

• in my personal opinion i really wouldn't advocate shaving your arms, the hair will grow back with the appearance that it is thicker and darker and thus it will be even more noticeable than when you started.. try bleaching the hair to make it less obvious perhaps, or if not there are home lazer / electrolysis kits which can remove hair..
            "Life’s a game but its not fair
            I break the rules so I don’t care
            So I keep doing my own thing
            Walking tall against the rain
            Victory’s within the mile
            Almost there don’t give up now"

Comment

• I'm trying to understand all points here. I'm hearing both views about the hair growing back, some thicker, and others not. As for the bleach, how long does that last? And is it safe to use on the skin?
              Unfortunately price is an issue, since I am only 17 and make just above minimum wage :P

I just hate how long and wild and dark the hair is. I think it's unappealing. Maybe since it's on my own body, then I notice it more than others.

I would be very appreciative if others will leave their comments!

Comment

• The idea that shaving will cause the hair to grow back thicker or darker is total bunk. Completely untrue. It is just more noticable by comparision. Try an epilator, some of it will grow back but over time the quanitity of hair regrowth will lessen.

Comment

• i read that hair will grow back with the appearance that it is thicker and darker.. because you will have blunted the end of the hair by shaving it.. i may be wrong however -- and hope i am! as it would make life much easier!

and yeah, you can get bleach designed specifically for use on body hair (obviously very different from normal head hair bleach and domestic bleach!) and the length of time it lasts depends on your hair before hand / rate of growth etc.. but i redo mine every 5 - 6 weeks.. it is a hassle, admittedly, but personally i find it far more manageable than shaving
                  "Life’s a game but its not fair
                  I break the rules so I don’t care
                  So I keep doing my own thing
                  Walking tall against the rain
                  Victory’s within the mile
                  Almost there don’t give up now"

Comment

• I know this isnt what you want to hear but I am 37 and have shaved mine since I was probably 20. My arms were so hairy and sometimes people would notice. It is so easy. I tried bleach and that hurt. just shave it.

Comment

• Growing back darker and thicker is a myth. I have shaved my arms for about 6 years now and if anything, it grows in slower and slower over time. At most I have only ever felt I had to do it once or twice a month. Also, if you shave everything else, whats the big deal with shaving arms?

Comment

• south park electrolysis

The best way to get rid of hair permanently is to considering undergoing electrolysis.Beauty Skin Deep is designed to meet your personal needs in aesthetics, skin care products and clinical treatments, as well as proven permanent hair removal for both men and women. You can contact them for **Removed outbound link** treatment. I am sure they will be of immense help.
                        Last edited by LanaBear; 02-23-2010, 02:10 PM. Reason: Removed outbound link

Comment

• hi-I am over 21 and I have hairy arms-well ok-I do SO WHAT I cannot understand the barrage of "stuff" out there "advocating" removal of this disgusting stuff-why what is the big deal-so ur arms are hairy ladies we ARE mammals!! come on -it's there cz it's suppose to be!!

Comment

• Hiya,

I have the same issue as you. I have a lot of arm hair. so does my sister, but funnily enough my brother doesnt have any! whats the deal with that! ha!

I use veet hair lightening cream for my arms. it works really well, and although the hair is still there - it is a lot less noticeable. When i first did it, my friends noticed something strange about my arms but couldnt work out what was different. they thought my arms had gone skinnier! haha!

Please dont shave them though! they will only grow back longer and thicker. I know this from expereince of when my sister shaved her arms due to her embaressment of having them. And they look worse then before.
                            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - Chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO-HOO what a ride!!"
                            "I dream about being with you forever." - Twilight

Comment

• I use Nair lotion. You put it on, wait four minutes and then wipe the hair off with a washcloth. I love the stuff! But some people have allergic reactions to it so do a test spot first. You can find Nair in the shaving isle. I've found that they stay hairless for almost 2 weeks and the hair grows back lightly.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X