Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving Alternatives with Folliculitis?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Shaving Alternatives with Folliculitis?

I was wondering if anyone uses shaving alternatives with folliculitis - I have it and shaving really irritates my skin, but I'm not about to stop shaving. I have thick, dark hair and very fair skin and it's really quite embarassing. I tried Nair and it didn't do a thing - I was thinking about trying Smooth Away but when I really think about it, I'm expecting it to hurt really badly since I have folliculitis (which is an infection primarily caused by shaving that causes red bumps on the legs which can be itchy or painful). Has anyone else with folliculitis tried an alternative to shaving that actually worked and didn't irritate their legs?

• I use an electric razor most of the time. It doesn't cut as close so doesn't stay as smooth as long but it doesn't take as long and no bumps or irritation. I can wax but it takes forever and once resulted in my whole leg swelling up so I generally don't. Veet works better than nair which generally makes my skin break out in hives and doesn't dissolve the hair. Despite their claims veet doesn't last any longer than shaving and usually not more than a day in my experience so would get expensive buying it all the time. I do still break out from a several of their formulas too and pretty much only use the spray on nonscented version anymore.

Comment

• Hi I'm 17 years old and I was recently diagnosed with folliculitis. I'm italian, meaning I have THICK brown hair. Not shaving is simply not an option for me and I've found that a simple routine works quite well. I use an intuition brand razor and very gently shave. Afterwords I use an oatmeal lotion from st. ives and apply thoroughly. To prevent another breakout of folliculitis I suggest buying the body wash cetaphil. It's good for sensitive skin like mine and has proven to be extremely affective. Hope I could help

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X