Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facial Hair.... EXTREMELY embarassing... Someone HELP!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Facial Hair.... EXTREMELY embarassing... Someone HELP!!!

I first started growing facial hair when I was in middle school and I started shaving it when people started noticing it.... At first it was great, and my skin FINALLY looked smooth like I had hoped. NOW I'm almost 19 and it's gotten A LOT worse... I don't know how it started and I haven't seen a doctor about it but it's very embarrassing. I've never had a boyfriend because I'm afraid what they would say WHEN they find out (not IF). I'm always thinking that when someone is laughing about something or looking at me in a weird way they've discovered my secret (I know, it sounds so paranoid....). I always wear my hair down to cover my face and it's even affected me getting a job. I would happily work in fast food if I didn't have to wear my hair up, I need it to hide my face. I just want to find the best way to get rid of it.... ANY help would be wonderful and appreciated!!! Thank You!!!

• treatment offered

Hi, I too, is plagued by the embarrising facial hair. a dermatologist I went to go see yesterday, told me that the best way to get rid of facial hair for women, is the laser treatment. It is also not covered, but if you want to get the help the Gov will have to listen to us. I am willing to fight to get the help I need. so I do not have to go through all the name calling, pointing, etc.
    I you would like to help and join the fight to get laser treatment covered please I beg of you, email me your letters and I will be going to the government to show them that alot of women in this country and as a matter of fact the world. Please E-mail me at blackrose_72 at hotmail.com

Comment

• info just received

Hey everyone, I was just told that you need to get your dermatologist to write a letter stating phychological reasons, and take it to you MLA, it should be covered under these grounds.

Comment

• facial hair

You may have an hormone imbalance and ladies who have polycistic ovaries suffer from this facial hair too so go have a talk to your doctor who will send you for blood tests..I have had this problem for some time and i was told i would see a difference if i lost weight.The first thing my doctor did was have my hormones checked and at that time i wasnt making enough insulin.There is also a tablet called Dianette you may be able to take this but i couldn't take it.What ever you do dont shave it will only get worse.I use wax strips and a cream called Vaniqa.Also if anyone is over weight you can buy a blood glucose testing kit from any chemist such has Boots and test yourself.I was told recently i'm now type two diabetic.I hope this helps you and others reading.

yorkielass

Comment

• Laser treatment is good but it comes again after several months I myself had done 7 sitting but its coming from one place to another place .. earlier its was thjick hair now thin hair.... can anyone tell how to go about this???

Comment

• Facial hair?

Hey all.
            On the sides of my face, around my chin, and on the underside of my jaw, i have longer and thicker than normal facial hair. It's not dark (its blonde), but it is DEFINITELY still noticable and I've received multiple comments about this is the past, a few not so nice.
            My doctor mentioned to me about it possibly being PCOS, but I have no other symptoms at all of this.
            I trying to come to the terms with the fact that I'm just... hairy. But honestly, I wish there was an explanation for it. Does anyone have an ideas?
            Is there anyone else out there with this problem? And how do you deal with it?
            I hate the thought of having to deal with this for the rest of my life. It definitely affects my confidence.

Thank you!

Comment

• This problem definitely needs to be covered by health insurance. My daughter has a serious hair growth problem on her chin. She too wears her hair down to try and cover the embarassing hair. Her confidence is very low. Her's started after taking a birth control pill. I think the pharmaceutical company needs to be sued. She is only 21 and her life is on hold right now because she is ashamed to go anywhere.

Comment

• Facial Hair

I was reading the comments and thought it might help if i share some of my experience. Shaving is definately a no no..infact throw all ur shavers away so ur not tempted to use them. I would recomend waxing and threading all the time. Some people just have a faster hair growth than others and therefore need to wax/thread often..also there is nothing wrong with having a lil bit of hair on the body, its only natural..

Comment

• me too

i also have the same problem.
                  It also feels like my little secret and i think it's crazy how this is not recognised as more of a problem.
                  People comment that i'm quite attractive untill they get up close.
                  It's such an awfull thing to deal with everyday and i truely feel my life would be different if i didn;t have to deal with this.
                  I can see people touching their cheeks and face as they talk to me all the time and i can see them staring at my cheeks it's very upsetting.
                  I know my boyfriend can see aswell as he does the same but i would never dream of talking to him or anyone about it!!!
                  The problem is i have very fair fine hair but lots and lots of it.
                  So laser wont work for me : (
                  I'm too scared to thread my cheeks as there's alot to thread, and i'm worried it will grow back very harsh and that would be awful.
                  Has anyone got very fair downy type hair on their cheeks but lot of it?

Comment

• Originally posted by yorkielass View Post
                    You may have an hormone imbalance and ladies who have polycistic ovaries suffer from this facial hair too so go have a talk to your doctor who will send you for blood tests..I have had this problem for some time and i was told i would see a difference if i lost weight.The first thing my doctor did was have my hormones checked and at that time i wasnt making enough insulin.There is also a tablet called Dianette you may be able to take this but i couldn't take it.What ever you do dont shave it will only get worse.I use wax strips and a cream called Vaniqa.Also if anyone is over weight you can buy a blood glucose testing kit from any chemist such has Boots and test yourself.I was told recently i'm now type two diabetic.I hope this helps you and others reading.

yorkielass

I to have had this problem since I was 12, now 21. I was recently diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is the cause of mine and the doctor gave me Vaniqa. I have been using it for about a month and I'm starting to be able to tell a difference in the color and texture of the hairs, plus it seems that they are growing slower. Hope this Helps!

Comment

• Originally posted by BLACKROSE View Post
                      Hi, I too, is plagued by the embarrising facial hair. a dermatologist I went to go see yesterday, told me that the best way to get rid of facial hair for women, is the laser treatment. It is also not covered, but if you want to get the help the Gov will have to listen to us. I am willing to fight to get the help I need. so I do not have to go through all the name calling, pointing, etc.
                      I you would like to help and join the fight to get laser treatment covered please I beg of you, email me your letters and I will be going to the government to show them that alot of women in this country and as a matter of fact the world. Please E-mail me at blackrose_72 at hotmail.com
                      I also have facial hair too, from having PCOS (Poly cystic Ovarian Syndrome). I have gone to American Laser Center, as I was promised results. That was back in September 2005. It is now December 2009 and no such results. My facial hair is worse then ever. They told me that I was the perfect candidate for treatment. No such luck. I am out $1500.00. There are other laser treatments out there, specifically for women with a hormonal imbalance. I also know other women who have gone to American Laser Center and were promised the same results. They never seen results either.

On one of the PCOS forms, it mentions to see an endocrinologist, to help with the problem.

Comment

• PCOS, hormonal imbalance = facial hair problems

I have had the embarrassment for years, beginning when I was a teenager, of having facial hair. It got worse as I got older. I have tried Laser Treatment, through American Laser Centers, without any luck.
                        Shaving only causes the hair to grow back and thicker. American Laser Center wants you to shave before your appointment, they claim that the laser works better at killing the hair. I disagree and I have stressed my concerns about treatment not working for me.
                        There are other types of laser treatments out there. Not all are the same.
                        Have any of you been checked for PCOS by your OBGYN? I didn't know I had the condition, until I was 3 months late of having my menstrual period. Google PCOS to read more.

Comment

• I'm tiered of being a freak of natuer.

In a way, I'm happy to find other women out there who suffer from the same problem I do. In another, it's depressing to know that others are forced to withstand the humiliation and embarrassment of a problem like this. I honestly wish I was the only one if only to spare others the pain I feel.

It all started about 7 years ago. My early teens I began to notice a couple of hairs on my chin. Now having a European background, it didn't bother me that much. I guess I didn't really know the extent of the problem. When it began to grow and spread, that's when a girl can really panic. I was terrified and embarrassed. The only thing i could think of was to shave it and I have been doing that for around the last 4 years. I wish I knew that shaving the worst thing I could have done but I was too scared to talk to anyone. I am now in a position where I have to shave every day. It comes back thicker and darker and it's to a point where if I miss a day of shaving, I have to pull my t-shirt up under my chin becouse the itching is unbearable.

Along the sides of my face, down my neck and over my chin, I have facial hair. I have tried creams but not only do they not remove all the hairs, they burn and leave me with a terrible red rash that takes days to clear up. My life now revolves around my shaving. I can't leave the house unless I have shaved and for a while, you feel good, normal, until it comes back and that only ever takes 12 hours. I am morbidly curious to see just how long it will get if i let it grow but I can't and wont let myself do it.

I've reached the end of my rope. I have plans to see a dermatologist but I don't know what help they can give me. I have already tried medication and it didn't work. I'm not supposed to be like this. This isn't right, this isn't normal, this isn't fair.

I'm 23 and I'm a large girl. I've heard it said that bigger girls are more prone to this problem. I want to know if this is true. I have a lot of issues in my life and this is just one that I can't handle anymore. I need help because I'm reaching my limit.

Comment

• I've never dealt with this but your comment that larger girls are more prone to it, got me thinking. Read up on some of the latest research on body fat - it affects your hormone levels. Consider that fat is not only the body's way of store reserve energy, there are toxins stored too. Whatever has come into your body is stored in fat, in a manner of speaking. If you consume dairy and beef that has BGH in it you are flooding your body with artifical hormone receptors and that will mess things up.

It could be that changing your diet and losing weight would help, at any rate it would be good for your general health regardless. Why not start educating yourself on diet and makes some changes? It won't be a quick fix but it could be a lasting one. Start by having only organic dairy and beef products and eliminating all fried foods, anything made with bleached white flour and all soda. Just those will make a huge difference in your health, it may take some time to let yor body start to clean itself out and rebalance but why not see what happens?

Comment

• santa is coming

hi all, yeah jesus i have the same problem and its really embarrassing, i feel likw santa, the problem is it is blonde, light hair on the sides of my face neck and chin!!! i have tried hair removal cream and it's bo$$5x so then my friend started waxing me but then again my skin kinda broke out around the area i waxed, so i went and bought myself an epilator and i have to admit it's great, i can do it at home as sson as i see one of the lurkers! would love laser but think hair is way too fair. Hair around the face is a sign of PCOS- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, however you have to have other symptoms ie: irregular heavy periods, no periods etc if you aren't on the pill you can get your dr to test for it, ask them to check, FSH, LH, testosterone, oestradiol, TFTs

Hope this helps

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X