• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does electrolysis give you scarring/pitting/enlarged folicles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does electrolysis give you scarring/pitting/enlarged folicles?

I've been considering doing some electrolysis for some facial hair (I'd do laser, but unfortunately my hair isn't dark enough). I'm just wondering, since to do electrolysis you have to have a needle stuck into your hair folicles, could I end up with scarring, pitting, or enlarged folicles?

If you've had electrolysis done, please mention what kind of skin you have also. I have sensitive skin that is on the dry side, heals very slowly, and seems to scar easily, hence I'm a bit apprehensive to try electrolysis even though I want the results!

Unlike laser, electrolysis can be used on any type hair. A probe (not a needle) is inserted along the hair shaft into the folicle. If done right, the skin is not punctured in the process.

But yes, if done wrong, or if the heat or electrical charge is turned too high, dammage can be done. (laser can also dammage skin permanently if done wrong)

IMPORTANT: only have this OR laser done by experienced pro. Ask for references of other people who've had treatment. Research! Knowledge is power - don't waste your $, time w/ an unskilled operator.

btw, I'm not saying 'don't do it'. I've had both treatments and am glad of it. Just be a smart consumer.
    P

Comment

Thanks for your reply, p. I guess a skilled practitioner is the safest way to avoid problems.

Originally posted by p3375 View Post
      IMPORTANT: only have this OR laser done by experienced pro.
      So one patch of skin should only have laser OR electrolysis? Why is that - will doing both be too damaging?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayberry View Post
        Thanks for your reply, p. I guess a skilled practitioner is the safest way to avoid problems.

So one patch of skin should only have laser OR electrolysis? Why is that - will doing both be too damaging?
        May:
        You could use both processes on the same area, tho you wouldn't want to be doing both at the same time.
        For example, my armpits had dense, closely-spaced hair folicles. My skin is light, and the hair was dark. Sooo - I had a series of 5 laser trtmts on the area. This thinned out the hair by 'bout 85%. Then I followed up on the 'stragglers' with electrolysis. One advantage of laser is that you can kill many folicles at one time. An advantage of electro is that, since it trts one folicle per insertion, you can target single hairs.
        Hope this helps
        P

Comment

Originally posted by Mayberry View Post
          I've been considering doing some electrolysis for some facial hair (I'd do laser, but unfortunately my hair isn't dark enough). I'm just wondering, since to do electrolysis you have to have a needle stuck into your hair folicles, could I end up with scarring, pitting, or enlarged folicles?

If you've had electrolysis done, please mention what kind of skin you have also. I have sensitive skin that is on the dry side, heals very slowly, and seems to scar easily, hence I'm a bit apprehensive to try electrolysis even though I want the results!
          What would be the better choice if done by a professional? If the laser is done right there wouldn't be any scarring would there?

Comment

Ultra:
            You need a skilled operator for either. With laser, one has to ballance pulse intensity and duration with folicle-killing effectiveness. If done on too low an intensity, you don't kill many hair folicles. If done too high, laser energy can burn the skin. I have six 1/4" diameter burn scars to remind me of what happens when the operator turns up the pulse energy too high. So, yeah either laser or electro can cause scaring. It's not likely to happen w/ a skilled operator, tho.

Comment

seconding the go to a professional statement.

when i've had electrolysis done its been a needle that is literally the size of a hair put into the follicle
              then it stings slightly and then all done!

done well it shouldnt give you scars

x
              'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Comment

Is this pain bearable? If a needle as thick as a hair is inserted it will definitely hurt as I guess. So do they do some anesthesia before the procedure?

Comment

actually i couldnt feel the needle
                  they're much much thinner than an injection needle.
                  no they dont do anesthesia, but take some ibruprofen before hand and you should be fine.

it was the actual electric bit that hurt slightly
                  its kind of like a weird heat just around where the needle is
                  very quick and then not really sore afterwards just a bit red.

x
                  'so why care for these petty obsessions? your designer heart still beats with common blood. and what if you could have genetic perfection? would you change who you are if you could?'

Comment

I've gotten electrolysis on my face for the past couple of years. My skin is slightly sensitive. After r=treatments my face is sightly irritated, but the lady puts on a soothing liquid which makes it go away in about a half an hour. The pain for me is bearable..some areas hurt more than others(like the middle of upper lip hurts a lot). There are creams that you can use before treatments, but I personally ice the area before she treats it. And I ahve never had any scarring etc. I hope this was helpful.

Comment

I am currently undergoing electrolysis on my face for a few months now, I am getting the pitting scaring on the sides of my upper lip. Idk if I should tell the woman to stop treating that area or not..? I am prone to easily and dark scars **I'm dam pale** Does anyone know if it will eventually my skin will stop reacting like that or if I should stop treatments to that area?
                      Dead animals don't equal fashion it equals cruelty

Comment

sally:
                        Yeah, if you mean damage that's visible for more than a week, point it out to the operator. She needs to turn down the heat or amperage (both if she's using blend). Don't let her treat you again until you two figure that out. Electrolysis is great, but can leave permanent scaring behind if not done correctly.
                        Pat

Comment

yeah it stays I thought it was just kinda a side effect of the treatment, I didn't realize I will definitely say something to her.
                          Dead animals don't equal fashion it equals cruelty

Comment

Working...
                          X