Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy is it to burn yourself with at home waxing?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• How easy is it to burn yourself with at home waxing?

I'm going to use either Gigi's or Sally Hansen's so-strip wax. I've read a lot about doing your own waxing to prepare, and several people have said they burned themselves. Were they just really careless and stupid or is it an easy thing to do? How do you know the wax is warm enough without being hot?

• I'm a GUY and I have the large jar of GiGi's NO strip and it works FABULOUS as long as you follow the directions as written. Where people get in trouble is when they heat it too long....it's not suppose to be runny like melted candle wax....it's suppose to be "warm" and thick like caramel or molasses, etc.

I went to the local dollar store and bought some "craft sticks" to use as applicators. Spread it on, wait about 20-30 seconds then rip it off in the opposite direction that the hair grows. Voila!

IF you over heat it, allow it to cool/thicken before trying to use it.

I have never burned myself and since I am a male, I had zero knowledge on how to use it before I bought the jar I have now.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply.
      I've been reading up like mad before I do this and everyone says to make sure that you heat it to the perfect consistency, and I'm a little nervous about screwing that up.

Do you put any powder on your skin first to keep the wax from pulling at it too much? If that really works and decreases pain I'm all for it, but if it makes it more difficult for the wax to adhere to the hair, I'll just endure the extra pain.

Comment

• While I don't know where you plan on using it, it's hard for me to say.

Me personally, I don't "pre-clean" the areas or apply any powder. I heat it until it's warm and thick...again like caramel sauce you'd pour over ice cream. I dip a craft stick in it, spread it on quickly (as you have a fairly short window to apply it), then wait a few seconds and peel/rip it off.

In some places, it stings for a moment or two. No big deal to me. The results are worth the moment of light sting.

Comment

• can be dangerous!!

Comment

• ANYTHING "can be dangerous"....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X